Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ali Ali is offline

Default How To Tell If Food is Fully Cooked?

As title really, how can you tell if fish (such as Cod) is fully cooked?

On a similar topic, how can you tell it meat (such as chicken) is fully
cooked, without cutting it in half and seeing if it's pink inside?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Ali" >
wrote:

> As title really, how can you tell if fish (such as Cod) is fully cooked?
>
> On a similar topic, how can you tell it meat (such as chicken) is fully
> cooked, without cutting it in half and seeing if it's pink inside?

Use a meat thermometer. They are pretty cheap. I like the little
instant read ones. They don't let as much juice escape.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Ali" >
wrote:

> As title really, how can you tell if fish (such as Cod) is fully cooked?
>
> On a similar topic, how can you tell it meat (such as chicken) is fully
> cooked, without cutting it in half and seeing if it's pink inside?

I believe that one way to test chicken for doneness is if, when a knife
or fork is stuck into it, the juice runs clear. Cutting in half is not
required. :-) When fish flesh is opaque and flakes easily, it's done
(if it's a flaking-type fish rather than, say, shark). How's that?

Here's a link about cooking fish.
http://busycooks.about.com/od/howtoc...tocookfish.htm
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 3:33 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:58:46 +0100, Ali wrote:
> > As title really, how can you tell if fish (such as Cod) is fully cooked?

> > On a similar topic, how can you tell it meat (such as chicken) is fully
> > cooked, without cutting it in half and seeing if it's pink inside?

> By touch, time, and experience. Or there's always a Polder
> thermometer.

Exactly what Steve said. I've never really messed with thermometers,
so have had a few underdone chicken experiences, but I most often
erred on the side of overdone.
Poultry is one of the few things I dislike underdone (that, and
poultry egg whites), and the only part of chicken that gets messed up
badly if only a bit overdone is the white meat. I cook chicken breast-
down for the first 4/5 or so of the process, flipping it to brown the
skin near the end.
I adore mild white fish, especially dredged in cornmeal and fried in
peanut oil, with fresh lemon squeezed on it, so I just never end up
baking it.

> -sw

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ali > wrote:
>As title really, how can you tell if fish (such as Cod) is fully cooked?

Fish will no longer be translucent.

>On a similar topic, how can you tell it meat (such as chicken) is fully
>cooked, without cutting it in half and seeing if it's pink inside?

By touch. It stops being supple and becomes firmer.

--Blair

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >, "Ali" >
> wrote:
>
>> As title really, how can you tell if fish (such as Cod) is fully
>> cooked?
>>
>> On a similar topic, how can you tell it meat (such as chicken) is
>> fully cooked, without cutting it in half and seeing if it's pink
>> inside?

> Use a meat thermometer. They are pretty cheap. I like the little
> instant read ones. They don't let as much juice escape.

I can't believe this is a real post for information. More like Alice
Cooper's "School's out for Summer!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7m_IBX-Yo

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 19:58:46 +0100, Ali wrote:
>
> > As title really, how can you tell if fish (such as Cod) is fully cooked?
> >
> > On a similar topic, how can you tell it meat (such as chicken) is fully
> > cooked, without cutting it in half and seeing if it's pink inside?

> By touch, time, and experience. Or there's always a Polder
> thermometer.

It is a tough call isn't it. I still have a hard time with steak. I like it
rare to medium and my wife prefers hers a little closer to medium. I will
take mine less done rather than risk over cooking it. I have discovered
that it is possible to start her steak on the grill ahead of mine and have
mine end up cooked more than hers.