Posted to alt.food.asian,alt.food.sushi

Default Mystery PIckle

I don't read Japanese worth a damn and my wife wanted to make some
japanese pickles which we both adore. We got three packages of pickling
mixes at Marukai. Here is an image of the directions I scanned from the
first:

http://snipr.com/3qi8x-am8up0

And here's my guess about what it all means:

1) Whittle up about 200 grams of vegetables and stuff.
2) Put it in a plastic bag with the contents of provided packet.
3) Shake it up and let is sit for 30 minutes.
4) Put it on a plate and admire it.

How close did I get?

-- Gerry
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.asian,alt.food.sushi

"Gerry" > wrote in message
>I don't read Japanese worth a damn and my wife wanted to make some japanese
>pickles which we both adore. We got three packages of pickling mixes at
>Marukai. Here is an image of the directions I scanned from the first:
>
> http://snipr.com/3qi8x-am8up0
>
> And here's my guess about what it all means:
>
> 1) Whittle up about 200 grams of vegetables and stuff.
> 2) Put it in a plastic bag with the contents of provided packet.
> 3) Shake it up and let is sit for 30 minutes.
> 4) Put it on a plate and admire it.
>
> How close did I get?
>
> -- Gerry
> --

An American colleague of mine used to say "Close enough for government
work".
Which I have always assumed meant very good.

1) Take 200 grams of your prefered vegetables, wash in water and cut into
appropriate size pieces.
2) Put the cut up vegetables into the plastic bag, and pour in the contents
of
the small bag, then rub well from the outside of the plastic bag.
3) Squeeze out the air and close the mouth of the plastic bag , letting
it soak/rest for 30 minutes.
4) Lightly drain/remove the moisture, transfer to a plate and enjoy.

Enjoy your Asazuke.

Musashi

Posted to alt.food.asian,alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:31:41 -0400:

> "Gerry" > wrote in message
>> I don't read Japanese worth a damn and my wife wanted to make
>> some japanese pickles which we both adore. We got three
>> packages of pickling mixes at Marukai. Here is an image of
>> the directions I scanned from the first:
>>
>> http://snipr.com/3qi8x-am8up0
>>
>> And here's my guess about what it all means:
>>
>> 1) Whittle up about 200 grams of vegetables and stuff.
>> 2) Put it in a plastic bag with the contents of provided
>> packet. 3) Shake it up and let is sit for 30 minutes. 4) Put it on a
>> plate and admire it.
>>
>> How close did I get?
>>
>> -- Gerry
>> --

> An American colleague of mine used to say "Close enough for
> government work".
> Which I have always assumed meant very good.

> 1) Take 200 grams of your prefered vegetables, wash in water
> and cut into
> appropriate size pieces.
> 2) Put the cut up vegetables into the plastic bag, and pour in
> the contents of
> the small bag, then rub well from the outside of the
> plastic bag. 3) Squeeze out the air and close the mouth of the
> plastic bag , letting
> it soak/rest for 30 minutes.
> 4) Lightly drain/remove the moisture, transfer to a plate and enjoy.

> Enjoy your Asazuke.

I've made Japanes pickles (or possibly salads might be a better name)
with bean sprouts and also cucumber, mostly sunomono (I gather) and they
are good. Asazuke are a bit ambitious for me.
http://japanesefood.about.com/od/pic...picklehaku.htm

The above Asazuke recipe seems to take several hours but perhaps
commercial packages are faster.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to alt.food.asian,alt.food.sushi

On 2008-09-15 11:31:41 -0700, "Musashi" > said:

> An American colleague of mine used to say "Close enough for government
> work". Which I have always assumed meant very good.
>
> 1) Take 200 grams of your prefered vegetables, wash in water and cut into
> appropriate size pieces.
> 2) Put the cut up vegetables into the plastic bag, and pour in the contents
> of
> the small bag, then rub well from the outside of the plastic bag.
> 3) Squeeze out the air and close the mouth of the plastic bag , letting
> it soak/rest for 30 minutes.
> 4) Lightly drain/remove the moisture, transfer to a plate and enjoy.
>
> Enjoy your Asazuke.

Excellent. Thanks for teh clarifications.
--
Dogmatism kills jazz. Iconoclasm kills rock. Rock dulls scissors.

Posted to alt.food.asian,alt.food.sushi

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote on Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:31:41 -0400:
>

>> "Gerry" > wrote in message
>>> I don't read Japanese worth a damn and my wife wanted to make
>>> some japanese pickles which we both adore. We got three
>>> packages of pickling mixes at Marukai. Here is an image of
>>> the directions I scanned from the first:
>>>
>>> http://snipr.com/3qi8x-am8up0
>>>
>>> And here's my guess about what it all means:
>>>
>>> 1) Whittle up about 200 grams of vegetables and stuff.
>>> 2) Put it in a plastic bag with the contents of provided
>>> packet. 3) Shake it up and let is sit for 30 minutes. 4) Put it on a
>>> plate and admire it.
>>>
>>> How close did I get?
>>>
>>> -- Gerry
>>> --

>> An American colleague of mine used to say "Close enough for
>> government work".
>> Which I have always assumed meant very good.

>> 1) Take 200 grams of your prefered vegetables, wash in water
>> and cut into
>> appropriate size pieces.
>> 2) Put the cut up vegetables into the plastic bag, and pour in
>> the contents of
>> the small bag, then rub well from the outside of the
>> plastic bag. 3) Squeeze out the air and close the mouth of the
>> plastic bag , letting
>> it soak/rest for 30 minutes.
>> 4) Lightly drain/remove the moisture, transfer to a plate and enjoy.

>> Enjoy your Asazuke.

> I've made Japanes pickles (or possibly salads might be a better name) with
> bean sprouts and also cucumber, mostly sunomono (I gather) and they are
> good. Asazuke are a bit ambitious for me.
> http://japanesefood.about.com/od/pic...picklehaku.htm
>
> The above Asazuke recipe seems to take several hours but perhaps
> commercial packages are faster.
> --

James;

The commercial packages are very quick and easy and I would recommend
them. I use to buy pre-made Asazuke packs and had to go through a few brands
to find ones that I really liked. I disovered that the commercial packages
were
certainly just as good and you could pretty much control how "strong" it
will be.

Musashi