Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default question about rice

I have a sushi kit on order and have been watching some shows on making
sushi rice. But got a rather stupid question. How long once the rice has
been made can you keep it in the frig? I know that stirfry rice is best
made with 24 hour old rice but how about sushi rice.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"miket" > wrote:
> I have a sushi kit on order and have been watching some shows on making
> sushi rice. But got a rather stupid question. How long once the rice
> has been made can you keep it in the frig? I know that stirfry rice is
> best made with 24 hour old rice but how about sushi rice.

Sushi rice (Sumeshi) is best within 24 hours of being made. Do not
refrigerate it! Once it's cooled, put it in a container and cover it with a
damp cloth. If you can find it, Shizou Tsuji's "Japanese Cooking, A Simple
Art" explains making sushi rice and many, many other things in easy to
understand English.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

miket wrote:
> I have a sushi kit on order and have been watching some shows on making
> sushi rice. But got a rather stupid question. How long once the rice
> has been made can you keep it in the frig? I know that stirfry rice
> is best made with 24 hour old rice but how about sushi rice.

Personally, I would recommend using it within 8-10 hours of making it,
but it will last longer if you keep it from drying out. As the rice
grains dry out they become harder and harder to work with. When I make
sushi (which is actually fairly often) I make it early afternoon and let
it sit until evening with a lightly damp cloth over it to keep moisture
in. This lets the seasoning combine and the rice to cool without letting
the rice get dry and crusty. I would *not* put it in the refrigerator,
it will become impossible to work with if you do.

Apologies ahead for pimping my own website, but you may find it helpful
if you are new to the sushi making game. If you are interested, you
should read my 'How to make sushi at home' section for some tips:
http://www.sushifaq.com/howtomakesushiathome.htm

Good luck!
Warren

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
Posted to alt.food.sushi

> Apologies ahead for pimping my own website...

Nice website, Warren! I saved it in my Favorites.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Woops...I just noticed that Warren's website is actually an
advertisement for his seafood company

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Oh, I see. OK, nice website!
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Mr Musashi is always helpful.
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Warren posted this:
> wrote:
>> Oh, I see. OK, nice website!

> Heh. Thanks you should thank the folks in this group too, lots of the
> regulars have helped with information and suggestions. Musashi has been
> exceptionally helpful.

I do find good stuff on your site too, Warren. Just one item I noticed on
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-items/sushi-items-uni.htm where you say that
sea urchins are hermaphrodites. I know that's what wikipedia says, but
although hermaphrodism can occur with urchins as with many other animals, I
believe they are generally male or female.

To raise urchins, the eggs and sperm are gathered separately. (see
http://classic.sidwell.edu/us/scienc...lab/index.html line 4.)

Similar fact noted at http://www.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/anaphys.html

--
Wilson N44º39' W67º12'

Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Warren posted this:
>> wrote:
>>> Oh, I see. OK, nice website!

>> Heh. Thanks you should thank the folks in this group too, lots of
>> the regulars have helped with information and suggestions. Musashi has
>> been exceptionally helpful.
>>

> I do find good stuff on your site too, Warren. Just one item I noticed
> on
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-items/sushi-items-uni.htm where you say
> that sea urchins are hermaphrodites. I know that's what wikipedia says,
> but although hermaphrodism can occur with urchins as with many other
> animals, I believe they are generally male or female.
>
> To raise urchins, the eggs and sperm are gathered separately. (see
> http://classic.sidwell.edu/us/scienc...lab/index.html line 4.)
>
> Similar fact noted at http://www.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/anaphys.html

noted. I had always heard they were hermaphrodites, which didn't jibe
with also hearing about how one or the other can taste better (some
claim), which . I never found anything definitive, but I'll definitely
dig in deeper. let me research and I'll certainly update the
information. I'll check out the links, thanks for the help!

--
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/ The Sushi FAQ ...><((((º>
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiotaku/ The Sushi Otaku Blog
HTTP://www.sushifaq.com/sushiyapedia/ Sushi-Ya-Pedia Restaurant Finder
HTTP://www.theteafaq.com/ The Tea FAQ
HTTP://www.jerkyfaq.com/ The Jerky FAQ
HTTP://www.omega3faq.com/ The Omega 3 Fatty Acids FAQ
Posted to alt.food.sushi

sometime in the recent past Warren posted this:
> Wilson wrote:
>> sometime in the recent past Warren posted this:
>>>
>>> Heh. Thanks you should thank the folks in this group too, lots of
>>> the regulars have helped with information and suggestions. Musashi
>>> has been exceptionally helpful.
>>>

>> I do find good stuff on your site too, Warren. Just one item I noticed
>> on
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-items/sushi-items-uni.htm where you
>> say that sea urchins are hermaphrodites. I know that's what wikipedia
>> says, but although hermaphrodism can occur with urchins as with many
>> other animals, I believe they are generally male or female.
>>
>> To raise urchins, the eggs and sperm are gathered separately. (see
>> http://classic.sidwell.edu/us/scienc...lab/index.html line 4.)
>>
>> Similar fact noted at http://www.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/anaphys.html
>>

> noted. I had always heard they were hermaphrodites, which didn't jibe
> with also hearing about how one or the other can taste better (some
> claim), which . I never found anything definitive, but I'll definitely
> dig in deeper. let me research and I'll certainly update the
> information. I'll check out the links, thanks for the help!

I posted about Uni before and here is a picture http://tinyurl.com/6cxw4k
(can be zoomed) I took of two un-touched bowls of urchin gonads that. They
didn't taste particularly different, but the appearance was definitely
different. The uni on the left is what I expect were from female urchins and
the bowl on the right (full of milt) were from male urchins.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"
Posted to alt.food.sushi

Wilson wrote:
> sometime in the recent past Warren posted this:
>> Wilson wrote:
>>> sometime in the recent past Warren posted this:

>>> I do find good stuff on your site too, Warren. Just one item I
>>> noticed on
http://www.sushifaq.com/sushi-items/sushi-items-uni.htm
>>> where you say that sea urchins are hermaphrodites. I know that's what
>>> wikipedia says, but although hermaphrodism can occur with urchins as
>>> with many other animals, I believe they are generally male or female.
>>>
>>> To raise urchins, the eggs and sperm are gathered separately. (see
>>> http://classic.sidwell.edu/us/scienc...lab/index.html line 4.)
>>>
>>> Similar fact noted at http://www.stanford.edu/group/Urchin/anaphys.html
>>>

>> noted. I had always heard they were hermaphrodites, which didn't jibe
>> with also hearing about how one or the other can taste better (some
>> claim), which . I never found anything definitive, but I'll definitely
>> dig in deeper. let me research and I'll certainly update the
>> information. I'll check out the links, thanks for the help!
>>

> I posted about Uni before and here is a picture
> http://tinyurl.com/6cxw4k (can be zoomed) I took of two un-touched bowls
> of urchin gonads that. They didn't taste particularly different, but the
> appearance was definitely different. The uni on the left is what I
> expect were from female urchins and the bowl on the right (full of milt)
> were from male urchins.

Oh yes. I remember that post (and the pictures). As much as I hate to be
wrong, I like being right more, so I definitely need to update the FAQ
tonight