Old 29-03-2008, 04:24 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Sushi chefs warn on side-effects of raw fish boom

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080328/...pan_sushi_dc_1

Old 30-03-2008, 12:57 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Old 30-03-2008, 08:43 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080328/...pan_sushi_dc_1

Health issues are minor side-effects compared to extinction of tuna.

A few years ago I quit buying tuna altogether, fresh or canned, and I wish
you all would do the same. I've made sushi at home regulairily about 20
years now and I really would not like to serve my guests 'the last piece
of tuna'.

Jukka
Old 31-03-2008, 12:01 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080328/...pan_sushi_dc_1

Health issues are minor side-effects compared to extinction of tuna.

A few years ago I quit buying tuna altogether, fresh or canned, and I
wish you all would do the same. I've made sushi at home regulairily
about 20 years now and I really would not like to serve my guests 'the
last piece of tuna'.

Tuna? They say the oceans will be depleted by 2051. We'll probable have
farm raised tuna still, but at what price. I may live longer enough to see
this happen, although 43 years is a long time.

--
Dan
Old 31-03-2008, 12:38 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

Health issues are minor side-effects compared to extinction of tuna.
A few years ago I quit buying tuna altogether, fresh or canned, and I
wish you all would do the same. I've made sushi at home regulairily
about 20 years now and I really would not like to serve my guests 'the
last piece of tuna'.

Tuna? They say the oceans will be depleted by 2051. We'll probable have
farm raised tuna still, but at what price. I may live longer enough to
see
this happen, although 43 years is a long time.

Fish farming was a bad word before, now it is supposed to save wild fish.
Go figure.

Jukka

Old 31-03-2008, 01:17 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo wrote:

Health issues are minor side-effects compared to extinction of tuna.
A few years ago I quit buying tuna altogether, fresh or canned, and
I wish you all would do the same. I've made sushi at home
regulairily about 20 years now and I really would not like to serve
my guests 'the last piece of tuna'.

Tuna? They say the oceans will be depleted by 2051. We'll probable have
farm raised tuna still, but at what price. I may live longer enough
to see
this happen, although 43 years is a long time.

Fish farming was a bad word before, now it is supposed to save wild
fish. Go figure.

Not sure that will save them.. but it will be cheaper for companies to grow
fish than to catch wild ones. Once the ocean is dead and farmed is the only
option, then they will raise prices thru the roof.

--
Dan
Old 31-03-2008, 05:37 AM posted to alt.food.sushi

Interesting that in the 50's Japanese wasn't crazy about tuna and it
was only good for cat food.
Old 31-03-2008, 04:42 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"James" wrote in message
Interesting that in the 50's Japanese wasn't crazy about tuna and it
was only good for cat food.

True. Just as in the early 1900s you could buy lobsters
in any Bait shop in the Northeast US.

Old 31-03-2008, 04:49 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"Dan Logcher" wrote in message
Armadillo wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080328/...pan_sushi_dc_1

Health issues are minor side-effects compared to extinction of tuna.

A few years ago I quit buying tuna altogether, fresh or canned, and I
wish you all would do the same. I've made sushi at home regulairily
about 20 years now and I really would not like to serve my guests 'the
last piece of tuna'.

Tuna? They say the oceans will be depleted by 2051. We'll probable have
farm raised tuna still, but at what price. I may live longer enough to
see
this happen, although 43 years is a long time.

--
Dan

The standard practice has been, and remains, to net small wild Bluefin Tuna
and raise them in captive pens
fatttening them up for the market. However a few years ago a university fish
research facility
in Japan succeded in extracting Bluefin Tuna eggs, fertilizing them and
actually hatching Bluefin Tuna
in captivity. This technology over last few years while still rare, has been
so succcesful that the University
authorized the sales of the excess farm stocks to supplement their income. I
predict that that this is an
indicator of the farm-born/farm-rasied tuna we may all be eating in the
future.
Musashi

Old 31-03-2008, 05:18 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo wrote:

[...]

Yeah, farmed tuna are caught and fattened.. but they will need to raised
them from egg or they will go extinct. They do this for sea turtles in the
Cayman Islands. Most of them are used for food, some are released to help
keep up the numbers of wild turtles.

--
Dan

Old 31-03-2008, 06:36 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Armadillo wrote:

[...]

As a lover of tuna, whether in sushi or not, I hope it works.
However, the same problems as face farmed salmon will have to be
overcome, lack of taste, disease at the farm and disease
spreading to the surrounding waters.

--
Jim Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 31-03-2008, 07:32 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

"James Silverton" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

Armadillo wrote:

[...]

That's very true. But of course those are the issues that all farming,
whether aquatic or
land based must address. The Farmed vs. Wild Salmon debate (read: war) in
the US/Canada
would have one believing that all farming is a complete disaster. I think
that while perhaps not wholly
incorrect, it may be an exaggeration.
The Hamachi we eat is all farmed. Japan has been farming Yellowtail since
the late 1960s.
Today even Australia exports farmed Hamachi.

thinking that every

Old 31-03-2008, 07:40 PM posted to alt.food.sushi

Musashi wrote on Mon, 31 Mar 2008 14:32:44 -0400:

M That's very true. But of course those are the issues that
M all farming, whether aquatic or
M land based must address. The Farmed vs. Wild Salmon debate
M (read: war) in the US/Canada
M would have one believing that all farming is a complete
M disaster. I think that while perhaps not wholly
M incorrect, it may be an exaggeration.
M The Hamachi we eat is all farmed. Japan has been farming
M Yellowtail since the late 1960s.
M Today even Australia exports farmed Hamachi.

What's the situation on abalone these days? I first tried and
loved it just before it began to be scarce as its popularity
climbed. Twelve years ago, I saw a documentary on farming
abalone at the University of Hawaii, I believe.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not