Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Valet Parking in LA

Recently, we visited Los Angeles.
One night, we went a Bijou French restaurant.
The restaurant requires valet parking for $3.50.
Next day, we went to a Japanese restaurant for a dinner.
That restaurant also requires valet parking but for $7.00.
I had a mixed feeling about this practice. I am wondering whether
restaurants in LA are trying to get a little profit out of valet parking.
In our city, we have never heard about valet parking for dinner.
Ramon

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I hate that and I'll never voluntarily go to a place like that.

Posted to alt.food.sushi
tmo tmo is offline

On Apr 19, 1:06 pm, "Roman King" > wrote:
> Recently, we visited Los Angeles.
> One night, we went a Bijou French restaurant.
> The restaurant requires valet parking for $3.50.
> Next day, we went to a Japanese restaurant for a dinner.
> That restaurant also requires valet parking but for $7.00.
> I had a mixed feeling about this practice. I am wondering whether
> restaurants in LA are trying to get a little profit out of valet parking.
> In our city, we have never heard about valet parking for dinner.
> Ramon

In urban centers where land is expensive, retailers/restaurants have
little choice but to try and cover some of the cost of the parking
spots by charging for parking. If they were to have a free parking
lot, there is the risk that patrons of other restaurants/stores will
use the parking. By requiring valet I'm guessing that they can also
squeeze a few more cars into the lot by having the attendants arrange
the cars. I think in LA culture, mandatory valet and paying for
parking are just an accepted fact of life. Sure they could offer free
valet service, but you'd probably end up paying for it somewhere
else.

Were the French and Japanese restaurants in the same neighborhoods?
I'm guessing the price of land is going to be a big factor in the cost
of parking.

I doubt very much if the valet parking is a money maker for the
restaurant as the valet service is most likely a third-party company.
The only ones making money are probably the valets themselves off the
tips.

-Tmo

Posted to alt.food.sushi

What you said makes a lot sense.
The Cafe Bijou is located in Glendale where my daughter lives. But Koi
restaurant is in Beverly Hill.
Obviously, the real estate in Beverly Hill could be expensive.
What I felt was that patrons got to pay tips and valet parking just for
eating a dinner.
For $7 fee for valet parking, one person could have a nice dinner at
McDonald too.
I felt that the entertainment culture in LA seems to be way out of the norm.
I am sure that not all customers are princes, princesses, Marylyn Monroe or
John Wayne!!!!
In our city, valet parking at a restaurant is unheard of it.
Anyway, I am learning the hardway for eating in LA.

Ramon

"tmo" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Apr 19, 1:06 pm, "Roman King" > wrote:
>> Recently, we visited Los Angeles.
>> One night, we went a Bijou French restaurant.
>> The restaurant requires valet parking for $3.50.
>> Next day, we went to a Japanese restaurant for a dinner.
>> That restaurant also requires valet parking but for $7.00.
>> I had a mixed feeling about this practice. I am wondering whether
>> restaurants in LA are trying to get a little profit out of valet parking.
>> In our city, we have never heard about valet parking for dinner.
>> Ramon

> In urban centers where land is expensive, retailers/restaurants have
> little choice but to try and cover some of the cost of the parking
> spots by charging for parking. If they were to have a free parking
> lot, there is the risk that patrons of other restaurants/stores will
> use the parking. By requiring valet I'm guessing that they can also
> squeeze a few more cars into the lot by having the attendants arrange
> the cars. I think in LA culture, mandatory valet and paying for
> parking are just an accepted fact of life. Sure they could offer free
> valet service, but you'd probably end up paying for it somewhere
> else.
>
> Were the French and Japanese restaurants in the same neighborhoods?
> I'm guessing the price of land is going to be a big factor in the cost
> of parking.
>
> I doubt very much if the valet parking is a money maker for the
> restaurant as the valet service is most likely a third-party company.
> The only ones making money are probably the valets themselves off the
> tips.
>
> -Tmo

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-04-20 17:04:27 -0700, "Roman" > said:

> What you said makes a lot sense.
> The Cafe Bijou is located in Glendale where my daughter lives. But Koi
> restaurant is in Beverly Hill.
> Obviously, the real estate in Beverly Hill could be expensive.
> What I felt was that patrons got to pay tips and valet parking just for
> eating a dinner.
> For $7 fee for valet parking, one person could have a nice dinner at
> McDonald too.

Maybe you'd prefer that. I'd prefer not having to drive around in LA
traffic for 20 minutes trying to find a parking place and then walking
4 blocks through residential homes trying to find my car. And on top
of that--I'd like to have my car watched in some areas of LA. Seven
bucks is a bit hefty, but it is LA. In Omaha there aren't these kinds
of problems. But it's Omaha.

> I felt that the entertainment culture in LA seems to be way out of the norm.
> I am sure that not all customers are princes, princesses, Marylyn Monroe or
> John Wayne!!!!
> In our city, valet parking at a restaurant is unheard of it.

What city is that?

> Anyway, I am learning the hardway for eating in LA.

You're learning the easy way. You're acclimating the hardway. If
you'd like to learn the hard way never use a valet again. Then you'll
find what value they have.
--
///---