Posted to alt.food.sushi

Default Sushi Rice - Which to use?

I don't think that this subject has come up recently, so here goes:

What do sushi chefs and enthusiasts buy when they make sushi rice for
themselves? I've tried Nishiki, but I want to try others for
comparison. Also, where can one buy the rice in reasonable quantities
(maybe 5 or 10 pounds but not the huge bags that I've seen in
restaurants.)

And also, what are all the MI5 and News Server messages doing in our
nice little sushi group?

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"rufus" > wrote:
> I don't think that this subject has come up recently, so here goes:
>
> What do sushi chefs and enthusiasts buy when they make sushi rice for
> themselves? I've tried Nishiki, but I want to try others for
> comparison. Also, where can one buy the rice in reasonable quantities
> (maybe 5 or 10 pounds but not the huge bags that I've seen in
> restaurants.)
>
> And also, what are all the MI5 and News Server messages doing in our
> nice little sushi group?

Use short-grain rice. Wash it well and rinse it, changing the water often,
until the water is clear.

I've killfiled MI5 in about 20 ngs.

~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com
Posted to alt.food.sushi

"rufus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I don't think that this subject has come up recently, so here goes:
>
> What do sushi chefs and enthusiasts buy when they make sushi rice for
> themselves? I've tried Nishiki, but I want to try others for
> comparison. Also, where can one buy the rice in reasonable quantities
> (maybe 5 or 10 pounds but not the huge bags that I've seen in
> restaurants.)
>
> And also, what are all the MI5 and News Server messages doing in our
> nice little sushi group?

I use Nishiki, or sometimes Kokuhou. There are countless others worth trying
but what you should be looking for is rice that tends to come out "on the
hard side".
For exanple you can pay more and buy Akita Homare, but the rice tends to be
stickier
and softer.
Here is the inside information on sushi rice. In Japan the best rice for
cooking is "shin mai"
meaning new crop or new harvest. However, while this great rice for most
Japanese dishes,
it is too soft for making good sushi rice. The best Sushi restaurants in
Japan use a blend of
old and new rice, in a ratio up to 70:30. There are actually two reasons for
this. One is the
"hardness" I just mentioned. The other little known fact is that old rice
develops small cracks on
the surface, not readily visible to the human eye. However, it permits a
greater absorption of
vinegar. So, the best sushi rice is one that is blended, usually by the rice
dealer.
In he US, Japanee short grain rice in 5, 10, 20., 25 lb bags are always
available
in most Japanese grocery stores. Most "Asian" food stores will also carry 5
to 10 lb bags.
Musashi

Posted to alt.food.sushi

I have used Nishiki, but I have no idea as to whether it is old or new.
I have seen rice grains from various suppliers that were smooth and
shiny and others that appeared chipped and broken. I suppose that
based on what you stated, chipped and broken is not the same as "small
cracks not readily visible."

How can I determine what is old and what is new? If you have any
specific suggestions (names of old and new rice and US suppliers) I
will try experimenting with them.

BTW, using more or less water in my Zojirushi seems to affect the rice
texture. Do you tend to use the exact amount of water recommended?

Also, do you wash and/or soak the rice before cooking? I know that
some people insist on washing and some also add a 45 minute soak in the
cooking water before cooking.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

"rufus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have used Nishiki, but I have no idea as to whether it is old or new.
> I have seen rice grains from various suppliers that were smooth and
> shiny and others that appeared chipped and broken. I suppose that
> based on what you stated, chipped and broken is not the same as "small
> cracks not readily visible."
>
> How can I determine what is old and what is new? If you have any
> specific suggestions (names of old and new rice and US suppliers) I
> will try experimenting with them.

New rice (shin mai) is marked on the bag.
Anything not so marked is ko mai; old rice.
It's usually not marked in English so you ,may want to
ask the store people.

> BTW, using more or less water in my Zojirushi seems to affect the rice
> texture. Do you tend to use the exact amount of water recommended?

Usually yes. I use a Zoujirushi also.

> Also, do you wash and/or soak the rice before cooking? I know that
> some people insist on washing and some also add a 45 minute soak in the
> cooking water before cooking.

Traditionally yes, I'd always wash. I'd soak only if I wanted non-sushi
rice.
Lately I've been using Musen Mai (rice that doesb't require washing).

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On Jan 25, 6:18 pm, "rufus" > wrote:
> I don't think that this subject has come up recently, so here goes:
>
> What do sushi chefs and enthusiasts buy when they make sushi rice for
> themselves? I've tried Nishiki, but I want to try others for
> comparison. Also, where can one buy the rice in reasonable quantities
> (maybe 5 or 10 pounds but not the huge bags that I've seen in
> restaurants.)

When I roll my own, I'll use Kohuko. I like the texture better than
Nishiki. Musashi San mentioned something about not giving rice a soak
for sushi. One thing I like to do after washing the rice is to give
the rice a 15 minute soak with a piece of kombu seaweed on top. I take
it out just before I start the fire. I think it adds some nice flavor
and a bit of mineral content without going overboard.

Posted to alt.food.sushi

On 2007-01-26 03:23:31 -0600, "rufus" > said:

> BTW, using more or less water in my Zojirushi seems to affect the rice
> texture. Do you tend to use the exact amount of water recommended?

I don't make sushi, but my Zojirushi (Neuro-Fuzzy) has different water
level markers for sushi rice. If it is to be trusted, you should use
about 20% less water.

Sushi Rice (Sushi-meshi or Sumeshi) Nick Cramer Sushi 14 04-01-2010 01:28 AM
Sushi Rice sushi_eater Sushi 1 22-06-2006 06:22 PM
Rice for Sushi magananda Recipes (moderated) 0 16-11-2005 02:43 AM
sushi rice without rice vinegar? meijnhard Sushi 4 22-08-2005 02:27 PM
Sushi Rice ?? Bell Jar General Cooking 8 29-05-2005 10:38 PM