Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Brian's SF starter

About a month ago Brian graciously sent me some of his starter... he
sent an email to lmk it was on the way but I didn't read my mail that
week-end.. he sent it at a nice 75 degrees at his place on Friday got
to my large Black rural mailbox Monday "after our heat wave started"
probably around 11:00am and since I didn't know it was coming it sat
there with our temps over 100 not counting how hot it was in that
mailbox.. DH brought it in around 3:00pm and it was really hot to the
touch.. I stuck in fridge immediately and figured it was dead but no
way was I going to toss it without at least trying!!! at 4:00pm took
it out and took a little starter, flour and water mixed and by 7:00pm
it was bubbling.. I fed before going to bed and the next day around
8:00 pm I fed again, at 11:00pm it had quadrupled....... I left some
on counter and started making bread with it the next day.. took two
days using recipe on Dusty's site and it came out really good.. didn't
get sour but since it was all so fast I didn't expect it...
The starter I put in fridge I have taken out at least once a week
stirred dumped a little refed and put back in fridge after it started
rising a little... On Thursday I took some and started same recipe
and Friday it was going to be so late to put in oven and hoping to
make sour I wrote list about putting it in banneton in fridge.. I
took out Saturday morning an baked 3 hours later.. now this loaf was
also really good and it's got that sour taste!! I've uploaded pix of
the July loaf and this week-end's loaf...

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1731351

My bread didn't come out fantastic for me to be this excited but that
starter was in over 100 degree temps for unknown amount of time, was
verrrrry hot to the touch and still LIVES!!!! LOL Brian, again
THANKS!! Those bread fairies most love us both !!!!!!! :-) nancy
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"nancy" > wrote in message
news I've uploaded pix of
> the July loaf and this week-end's loaf...
>
> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1731351
>

> My bread didn't come out fantastic for me to be this excited

Look darn good to me Nancy....

hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

nancy wrote:

> About a month ago Brian graciously sent me some of his starter... he
> sent an email to lmk it was on the way but I didn't read my mail that
> week-end.. he sent it at a nice 75 degrees at his place on Friday got
> to my large Black rural mailbox Monday "after our heat wave started"
> probably around 11:00am and since I didn't know it was coming it sat
> there with our temps over 100 not counting how hot it was in that
> mailbox..

and that's all one sentence, too... yeah, you were pretty panicked when
you wrote me.....

> I've uploaded pix of the July loaf and this week-end's loaf...
>
> http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...der_id=1731351

Great.

What temp do you bake at? Really nice crust color.

> My bread didn't come out fantastic for me to be this excited but that
> starter was in over 100 degree temps for unknown amount of time, was
> verrrrry hot to the touch and still LIVES!!!!

Goes to show about all the fussing with minutiae.

Now, the fella in Florida that left it in a closed jar on his porch in
the sunlight all day didn't have too much success.

> LOL Brian, again
> THANKS!! Those bread fairies most love us both !!!!!!! :-) nancy

My pleasure (anyone else wants SF starter just write me off group), and
it's the reward for always spelling it corrrectly--faeries.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Dang you smartie sure did make that one sentence LOL!!!!!

>and that's all one sentence, too... yeah, you were pretty panicked when
>you wrote me.....

***************
I preheated oven to 450 then turned down to 400.. the July loaf turned
down after 20 minutes, the August one after 5 minutes.. my oven
sucks... sometimes stays true but for second one my thermometers in
oven showed 500 so turned down earlier...

>What temp do you bake at? Really nice crust color.

******************
OH NOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!! no way going to argue spelling LOL, either way
they love that starter.... I've dried some and will try after a bit to
see if it comes back as great..... :-) nancy

> > LOL Brian, again
>> THANKS!! Those bread fairies most love us both !!!!!!! :-) nancy

>My pleasure (anyone else wants SF starter just write me off group), and
>it's the reward for always spelling it corrrectly--faeries.
>
>B/

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Thanks bunches Hutch :-) nancy

>> My bread didn't come out fantastic for me to be this excited

>Look darn good to me Nancy....
>
>hutchndi

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hello Nancy & all;

"nancy" > wrote in message
news
> About a month ago Brian graciously sent me some of his starter...
> he

> My bread didn't come out fantastic for me to be this excited but
> that

Eh (I've started to say that, bein' this close to the Canadian
border & all now...(:-o)!)? Your bread looks pretty darn good to
me, Nancy.

Just out of curiosity, which of my recipes didja use? And can ya
suggest any improvements?

L8r all,
Dusty - Postin' from 'on-the-road', currently just east of Everett,
Wa. at the moment

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hi Dusty, I use the San Francisco Sourdough French Bread... Out of all
the recipes I have tried it's the only one I can make and expect it to
work LOL!!! It makes the BEST bread for me...
The only thing I do different now is not starting from a cold oven.. I
got the dvd from King Arthur flour and I liked the way he used an iron
skillet with the lava rocks so I do that now.. The crust is fantastic
and insides soft and airy... I think when I have a problem is with
different starters and I sometimes get antsy and rush too much :-)
nancy

http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...dough/SFSD.htm

>Just out of curiosity, which of my recipes didja use? And can ya
>suggest any improvements?
>

>L8r all,
>Dusty - Postin' from 'on-the-road', currently just east of Everett,
>Wa. at the moment

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"nancy" > wrote in message
> Hi Dusty, I use the San Francisco Sourdough French Bread... Out of
> all
> the recipes I have tried it's the only one I can make and expect
> it to
> work LOL!!! It makes the BEST bread for me...

Well I'm delighted that the recipe is working well for you,
Nancy...and saddened that with all of the recipes I have posted
there, only 1 *works*...(:-o)!

If that one works well for you, you might also try my version of
Dickies "Billowy Sourdough" recipe:
http://www.innerlodge.com/Recipes/Br...rdough/BSD.htm.
It's always been a sure-fire hit for me...and should work well for
you too. Just be aware that my post was made from his original
recipe. He's updated it, but I kept my copy as it was. I guess
it's just my, "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it!", mentality.

> The only thing I do different now is not starting from a cold
> oven.. I

That's not a problem. You've probably already found out that all
you need to do is knock about 5-minutes off the baking time and all
will be well.

> and insides soft and airy... I think when I have a problem is with
> different starters and I sometimes get antsy and rush too much :-)

Yep. You've hit on the most serious "error" that most SD bakers
make. Time and patience are your most potent tools in the pursuit
of the perfect loaf of sourdough bread. Trust me, a hard concept
for this (formerly) hard-charging "type A" to deal with...(:-o)!

I'm delighted that you're having fun and making bread that you like.
Keep up the good work!

L8r all,
Dusty

Brian Anasta's ode..... LarbGai General Cooking 0 22-04-2010 11:19 AM
Thanks Brian. TG[_3_] Sourdough 0 21-02-2007 07:43 PM
Ping Brian Default User General Cooking 0 20-07-2006 03:51 PM
Ping Brian kilikini General Cooking 1 20-07-2006 01:02 PM
Ping: Brian Mailman Melba's Jammin' Preserving 1 05-02-2004 08:07 PM