Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default New to sourdough, questions

I am new to sourdough starters, and currently have two on the go. One is
made from the FAQ's here, and about 3 weeks old. It seems to be doing well,
but how do I know for sure when its ready to bake with? When I feed it, it
bubbles well within a few minutes, and about 4 or so hours later it has
"hooch" about 2" below the crown of bubbles. Below the "hooch", it looks
sponge-like. It smells like sourdough, very much so.

My second starter, is one made with grapes. Its about 2 weeks old, and not
doing much. The grapes have been removed. I feed it, and it pretty much
does nothing. Some small bubbles, and lots of "hooch". It smells like sour
grapes. Any suggestions? Should I start over with this one?

Oh, and I feed both starters twice daily.

Sorry to be a PITA, I did read the FAQ's, many times, but I just am not
confident in my starter yet. I need help, please.

Thanks very much.

Cookie

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

CookieChick wrote:

> I am new to sourdough starters,... It seems to be doing well, but how
> do I know for sure when its ready to bake with?

http://www.pbase.com/rina/sourdough

Pay attention to pictures 3 and 4.

> When I feed it, it bubbles well within a few minutes, and about 4 or
> so hours later it has "hooch" about 2" below the crown of bubbles.

Any hooch development means the culture is starving. So if you're
seeing it that soon, it means you haven't fed it enough. Or you need to
take it to the circus, put it in a cage, and charge admission.

B/
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

CookieChick wrote:
> My second starter, is one made with grapes. .. Should I start over with this one?
>
> Oh, and I feed both starters twice daily.

Cookie
Hi again Cookie,

I'm really sceptical when it comes to making a grain and water starter
with something other than grain and water, but if it works who cares
how you made it? I suspect yours isn't working because of how you're
feeding it

You say you're feeding it twice a day but you don't say how much or if
you're throwing away part of the previous starter. I only feed mine
once a day these days because I'm trying to stick to the one starter
for a while so I'm keeping it out of the fridge. As long as you stick
to some basic guidelines sourdough is so easy. When you don't and you
worry about every little thing it can seem the most complicated thing
ever.

Don't get fixated on measurements. Think in proportions or parts. Ask
your self 'Am I going to:
Build, Refresh or Store?'

Then go from there.

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"TG" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> CookieChick wrote:
>> My second starter, is one made with grapes. .. Should I start over with
>> this one?
>>
>> Oh, and I feed both starters twice daily.

> Cookie
> Hi again Cookie,
>
> I'm really sceptical when it comes to making a grain and water starter
> with something other than grain and water, but if it works who cares
> how you made it? I suspect yours isn't working because of how you're
> feeding it
>
> You say you're feeding it twice a day but you don't say how much or if
> you're throwing away part of the previous starter. I only feed mine
> once a day these days because I'm trying to stick to the one starter
> for a while so I'm keeping it out of the fridge. As long as you stick
> to some basic guidelines sourdough is so easy. When you don't and you
> worry about every little thing it can seem the most complicated thing
> ever.
>
> Don't get fixated on measurements. Think in proportions or parts. Ask
> your self 'Am I going to:
> Build, Refresh or Store?'
>
> Then go from there.
>
> TG

Thanks TG.

I was probably not dumping out enough, and not feeding enough. I dumped all
but 1/2 cup of each starter out, and added 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup water to
each. Hopefully something good will happen, lol. Wish me luck!

Thanks again,
Cookie

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"CookieChick" > wrote in message

> "TG" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > CookieChick wrote:
> >> My second starter, is one made with grapes. .. Should I start over

with
> >> this one?
> >>
> >> Oh, and I feed both starters twice daily.

> > Cookie
> > Hi again Cookie,
> >
> > I'm really sceptical when it comes to making a grain and water starter
> > with something other than grain and water, but if it works who cares
> > how you made it? I suspect yours isn't working because of how you're
> > feeding it
> >
> > You say you're feeding it twice a day but you don't say how much or if
> > you're throwing away part of the previous starter. I only feed mine
> > once a day these days because I'm trying to stick to the one starter
> > for a while so I'm keeping it out of the fridge. As long as you stick
> > to some basic guidelines sourdough is so easy. When you don't and you
> > worry about every little thing it can seem the most complicated thing
> > ever.
> >
> > Don't get fixated on measurements. Think in proportions or parts. Ask
> > your self 'Am I going to:
> > Build, Refresh or Store?'
> >
> > Then go from there.
> >
> > TG
> >

> Thanks TG.
>
> I was probably not dumping out enough, and not feeding enough. I dumped

all
> but 1/2 cup of each starter out, and added 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup water

> each. Hopefully something good will happen, lol. Wish me luck!
>
> Thanks again,
> Cookie

as a suggestion- dump all but a tablespoon and then add flour and water.
keep a small amount fed in the fridge as backup.

dan w

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default New to sourdough, questions UPDATE

"CookieChick" > wrote in message

> "TG" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>
>> CookieChick wrote:
>>> My second starter, is one made with grapes. .. Should I start over
>>> with this one?
>>>
>>> Oh, and I feed both starters twice daily.

>> Cookie
>> Hi again Cookie,
>>
>> I'm really sceptical when it comes to making a grain and water starter
>> with something other than grain and water, but if it works who cares
>> how you made it? I suspect yours isn't working because of how you're
>> feeding it
>>
>> You say you're feeding it twice a day but you don't say how much or if
>> you're throwing away part of the previous starter. I only feed mine
>> once a day these days because I'm trying to stick to the one starter
>> for a while so I'm keeping it out of the fridge. As long as you stick
>> to some basic guidelines sourdough is so easy. When you don't and you
>> worry about every little thing it can seem the most complicated thing
>> ever.
>>
>> Don't get fixated on measurements. Think in proportions or parts. Ask
>> your self 'Am I going to:
>> Build, Refresh or Store?'
>>
>> Then go from there.
>>
>> TG
>>

> Thanks TG.
>
> I was probably not dumping out enough, and not feeding enough. I dumped
> all but 1/2 cup of each starter out, and added 1 cup flour and 3/4 cup
> water to each. Hopefully something good will happen, lol. Wish me luck!
>
> Thanks again,
> Cookie

12 hours after the big dump and feed (lol), the starter with grapes looks
wonderful, foamy, just like the pictures! The other, the flour and water
only starter, is not looking too hot. Its got bubbles, but not many. I
will repeat tomorrow, and see how it goes. Maybe I can bake me some bread
soon....

Cookie

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

CookieChick wrote:

> 12 hours after the big dump and feed (lol), the starter with grapes looks
> wonderful, foamy, just like the pictures! The other, the flour and water
> only starter, is not looking too hot. Its got bubbles, but not many. I
> will repeat tomorrow, and see how it goes. Maybe I can bake me some bread
> soon....
>
> Cookie

Really glad it's working for you. I'm sure both will be fine. It'll be
interesting to hear if there's any difference in the taste when you
bake with the two cultures.

TG