Bob K

Default Whole Wheat Sourdough Pita Bread

Here is a recipe that I modified to use up the left-over starter from
bread making. The recipe is a modified version of the Sourdough
Pita Bread from Randy’s Vegetarian Cookbook,
http://www.nanday.com/cookbook/45.phtml.

Whole Wheat Sourdough Pita Bread

1 cup whole wheat sourdough starter
˝ cup filtered water (chlorine in tap water can stop the starter!)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat flour

1 cup additional whole wheat flour (approximately

Mix whole wheat starter with the next 4 ingredients, mixing/kneading
well. Cover and let rise until doubled.

Add additional flour. Knead well. Divide dough into six equal parts.
Form each into a smooth round ball. Roll each ball to less than 1/4
inch thickness. Place on a non-stick surface, cover and let and let
rise for about an hour. (I cover them loosely with plastic wrap and
then with a light tea towel. Be careful because they dry out very
easily.)

Preheat an oven with a baking stone or lined with quarry tiles to 475
degree f. Slide the pitas directly onto the tiles and bake for about 6
to10 minutes, or until puffed and just starting to brown. Remove and
cool on a wire rack.

Ronny TX

Whole Wheat Sourdough Pita Bread
Group: rec.food.sourdough Date: Mon, Aug 1, 2005, 10:15pm From:
(Bob=A0K)
Here is a recipe that I modified to use up the left-over starter from
bread making. =A0 The recipe is a modified version of the Sourdough Pita
Bread from Randy's Vegetarian Cookbook,
http://www.nanday.com/cookbook/45.phtml.
Whole Wheat Sourdough Pita Bread
1 cup whole wheat sourdough starter
=BD cup filtered water (chlorine in tap water can stop the starter!)
[...]

It's been awhile since I've read in this group or made sourdough
bread;but then a lady in another group I read in has recently been
talking about making whole wheat bread and that reminded me of this
group! Glad I came over here today. :-)

I started my sourdough starter a little over 3 hours ago using that
recipe on Randy's page that you posted a link to. Used whole wheat like
you did. One problem. Randy's recipe said to use a 6 cup container to
start the starter in. What I used was an old but clean 10 cup glass
coffee pot. Put everything in by the recipe, covered it all with a clean
dish towel and set it in a 90+ degree room. Came back about an hour
later and the starter had risen and bubbled to the top of that 10 cup
container and was threatening to go on over! LoL {I just don't
understand sourdough starter recipes that say it could take 5 to 10 days
until things get bubbly!:-)} So took a cup of starter out and started
your whole wheat bread recipe. Using half white and half whole wheat for
my first try. And am now letting the dough rise. Have it in a big glass
bowl,covered with a clean cuptowel and in a back room that is now about
95=B0. :-) Will have to wait and see how long it will take to double?

I'm thinking I got in too big of a rush though? And really should of let
my sourdough starter ferment for a day or two before I used it? Wouldn't
I have gotten a better sourdough flavor in my bread if I had of?

Thank you again for posting your recipe and the link to Randy's webpage.
:-)
Ronny

Ronny TX

Got mixed up on that last post and meant to say I was making Randy's San
Francisco Sourdough French Bread;but using your whole wheat sourdough
starter recipe and half whole wheat flour in Randy's recipe.

Randy's recipe said to let the dough stand at room temp for 18 to 24
hours or until the dough had doubled in size. Mine had tripled in size
at least,after 6 hours. So I went ahead and added the rest of the
flour,kneaded it and formed two loaves. Put those in a covered pan about
10:30pm my time and the recipe says to let them stand 3 to 4 hours or
until almost doubled in size. So I may not cook these until morning?
Will be good to eat some real bread! :-)

And the wholewheat sourdough starter is smelling even better tonight.
:-) Just a sharper smell and I can tell it's fermenting good. Keeping it
in my microwave right now as that's the warmest place in my kitchen.

Made banana nut bread last night. Anyone have a recipe for Banana Nut
Sourdough Bread? :-)

Ronny TX

After 2 hours my two loaves of bread had rose so fast and nice,so I
decided to go ahead and cook them tonight. About 15 minutes to go and
the house is smelling so good with the smell of that cooking bread! :-)
Now my mouth is watering just smelling that and thinking about eating
that bread! LoL