G. Scott

Default The small problems of learning :) (Picture)

well I'm not exactly sure that posting a link will work but here goes
nothing:

http://www.innovative-applications.c...f_20050301.jpg

I'm not exactly sure what the more professional among you would call
this type of loaf, I call it bread

I slashed this loaf a little differently that I typically do to try to
get around some of the extreme oven spring I've been having.

Here are my problems.. I'd appreciate any insight:

1. The crust is much too brittle. After removing the loaves from the
oven and racking then crackle and pop for the next 10 minutes. When
the loaves finish their initial cool down the crust is left with
spider-web style cracks. I bake these with a pan of boiling water and
spray the loaf twice in the first 10 minutes of baking. I jsut can't
seem to get that chewy crust.

2. the crust just isn't darkening like I want it to, but I imagine
these issues are all interconnected somehow.

Just as reference, here's some stats on the loaf:

2 cups fully active starter -- a bit less hydrated than usual. A
very-very thick gelatin consistency rather than my normal pancake
batter consistency.

Mixed the 2c starter with about 3 cups flour and 2 tsp salt until it
stayed off the hook of my mixer and wasn't so tacky that it couldn't be
shaped (just barely... was still very moist).

Kneaded for 8 minutes at lowest speed

1st Proofing was 1 hour and doubled

Knocked down

2nd Proofing was 1 hour and doubled

Light knock down, shape and rise 1 hour covered loosely with cling wrap
in the microwave with the light on (about 75 degrees).

Slashed, sprayed with water and put in well preheated 400 degree oven
for 55 minutes. The oven does not have any sort of hearth bricks or
whatnot. I do boil water in a kettle and put into cake pan in the
bottom right before the loaf goes in.

Anyway.. As you can see I'm still learning just needing to get past
my hurdles.

-S

learning how to cook Tracy007 Recipes 11 01-09-2010 05:28 AM
soup and learning Stormmee Diabetic 13 18-11-2009 01:10 PM
learning c++ Aslak Kärkkäinen Wine 0 25-06-2008 03:30 PM
Learning to Cook? Scooter General Cooking 11 25-05-2006 12:58 AM
Learning to be a bartender Top Spin General 3 01-11-2004 04:14 AM