Jane Lumley

Default Kayser's hazelnut and cumin bread

Tracked down a recipe for this at last in the great man's own book, 100%
Pain, available from amazon.fr. I'll post it if anyone is interested.

NB: I'm sure regulars know this, but over in France Le Gout de Pain, by
Raymond Calvel is a. cheap and b. a textbook sold in chef equipment
stores for around 20 euros, as opposed to the foolishly priced US
translation for $100. It's sooo Parisian to PUNISH you like that for
not knowing French. The original is actually pretty easy to follow.

Kayser's technique is interesting, too - after quite a short autolyse,
30 mins, he divides the dough, then gives it an hour or so, then shapes,
and the final proof is long, 1.5 + hours. All his breads use a liquid
levain and fresh yeast.
--
Jane Lumley
Kenneth

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 09:10:21 +0000, Jane Lumley
> wrote:

>NB: I'm sure regulars know this, but over in France Le Gout de Pain, by
>Raymond Calvel is a. cheap and b. a textbook sold in chef equipment
>stores for around 20 euros, as opposed to the foolishly priced US
>translation for $100. It's sooo Parisian to PUNISH you like that for
>not knowing French. The original is actually pretty easy to follow.

Hi Jane,

No need to blame the French for the price. The English
version of the book was published in Maryland...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Kenneth

Jane Lumley Mar 1, 1:10 am wrote:

> Tracked down a recipe for this at last in the great man's own book,
> 100% Pain, available from amazon.fr. I'll post it if anyone is
> interested.

Hi Jane, I'm interested. I'd like to see that recipe although it's
likely I will make it "100%" sourdough. (In French is fine, too.
Merci)

--Lisse

Jane Lumley

In article .com>,
writes
>Jane Lumley Mar 1, 1:10 am wrote:
>
>> Tracked down a recipe for this at last in the great man's own book,
>> 100% Pain, available from amazon.fr. I'll post it if anyone is
>> interested.

>Hi Jane, I'm interested. I'd like to see that recipe although it's
>likely I will make it "100%" sourdough. (In French is fine, too.
>Merci)
>
>--Lisse

Sorry, Lisse, my friend; my email prog is resolutely Anglophone and
won't do French accents. So it looks illiterate.

Where do you buy your flour, btw? I'm in search of a source of French
flour. I've come across a mill called Heucheloup....

Le pain au curcuma

500 g de farine de tradition
25 g de sucre
75 g de levain liquide
10 g de levain fraiche du boulanger
15 g de noisettes decortiquees
150 g de cerneaux de noix
20 g de lait en poudre
75 g de beurre
10 g de sel
2 g (.5 cuil. a cafe) de curcuma
25 cl d'eau a 20 C.

1. Versez la levure fraiche dans un bol, delyaez-la dans 10 cl d'eau
legerement tiede et laissez a temperature ambiante pendant une vingtaine
de minutes, ou jusqu'a ce que le melange commence a fermenter.

2. Dans un saladier, versez la farine, le lait en pudre, le sucre, le
beurre mou, le curcuma et le sel. Melangez bien, creausez un puits et
ajuotez le levure delayee avec le levain liquide et la reste de l'eau.
Melangez de nouveau et versez la pate sur le plan de travail bien
farine, puis petrissez-la pendant 10-12 minutes, jusqu'a ce quelle soit
ferme. Remettez-la alors dans le saladier, couvrez d'un linge humide et
laissez reposer a temperature ambiante pendant 30 minutes.

3. Posez la pate sur le plan de travail bien farine, petrissez-la avec
l4es noix et les noisettes, suffisament longtemps pour bien les
repartir, et laissez lever dans le saldier durant 40 minutes.

4. Divisez la pate en trois morceaux de meme poids. Faconnez-les en
forme de batards et deposer-le sur la plaque de cuisson ta****ee d'une
feuille de papier sulfurise. Donnez aussitot dix coups de lame de
cutter en epi longitudinalement sur les pains. Couvrez d'un linge
humide et laissez lever pendant 1 heure.

5. Prechuaffez le four a 240C. Quand il est a bonne temperature, jetez
un peu d'eau au fond pour le faciliter la formation d'une croute
craquante, enfournez les pains et laissez-les cuire pendant 10 a 12
minutes.

--
Jane Lumley

Jane Lumley Mar 7, 6:39 am wrote
A Lovely Recipe!

Hello Jane,
You are miraculous! I hope this was not too much trouble to scan.

I must say that this is a rich recipe. Is this typical for Eric
Kayser's book? 165g of nuts and 75g butter in 500g flour? Or can you
tell my hips there is a misprint, please!

Currently I am far away from French flour. I am getting wonderful
Montana flour and grains from the states delivered to me in Northern
Mexico. But this is one of my few luxury items. French flour for French
recipes? Now that is something to consider...

Thank you, so much

--Lisse

Jane Lumley Mar 7, 6:39 am wrote
A Lovely Recipe!

Hello Jane,
I wrote you a note of thanks yesterday for this wonderful recipe and it
has not shown up. (Perhaps the note is still circling the trumpet??
After a day I don't think so.) Is the 75g butter correct, are Kayser's
recipes typically so rich?

As to French flour, I apologize, I am no good as a source since I'm in
Northern Mexico and far out of the loop, which is one reason I do enjoy
your reports.

Thank you again!

--Lisse

Boron Elgar

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 10:42:45 +0000, Jane Lumley
> wrote:

>In article . com>,
writes
>>Jane Lumley Mar 7, 6:39 am wrote
>>A Lovely Recipe!
>>
>>Hello Jane,
>>You are miraculous! I hope this was not too much trouble to scan.
>>
>>I must say that this is a rich recipe. Is this typical for Eric
>>Kayser's book? 165g of nuts and 75g butter in 500g flour? Or can you
>>tell my hips there is a misprint, please!

>No, no misprint; this is a rich bread. But not all his are like that;
>most are water/flour/levain/salt, in good French fashion!
>>
>>Currently I am far away from French flour. I am getting wonderful
>>Montana flour and grains from the states delivered to me in Northern
>>Mexico. But this is one of my few luxury items. French flour for French
>>recipes? Now that is something to consider...
>>
>>Thank you, so much
>>
>>--Lisse

Jane, if you happen to have a translation of the recipe handy, I would
love to try making the bread.

Boron

Boron Elgar Mar 9, 6:37 am wrote:

Jane, if you happen to have a translation of the recipe handy, I would
love to try making the bread.

Boron

Hello Boron,
Subject to my ability, I''ll give it a quick go. Kind people here will
likely help me with anything I get wrong.

--Lisse

Cumin Bread

500 g of traditional flour
25 g sugar
75 g liquid levain (sourdough!)
10 g fresh yeast from the baker
15 g hazelnuts shelled
150 g green walnuts
20 g milk powder
75 g butter
10 g salt
2 g (1/2 tsp) of curcuma [cumin/or perhaps turmeric]
25 cl [250ml or g] of water at 20 C.

1. Crumble the fresh yeast in a bowl, dilute in 10 cl [100ml] of water,
slightly tepid and leave at room temperature about twenty minutes, or
until the mixture begins to ferment.

2. In a salad bowl, put flour, milk powder, sugar, the soft butter, the
cumin and salt. Mix well. Create a well and add the diluted yeast
with the liquid levain and the balance of the water. Mix again and
pour the dough on well floured work table. Knead it then for 10-12
minutes, just until it is firm. Put it back in the salad bowl, cover
with a wet cloth and let rest at ambient temperature for 30 minutes.

3. Return the dough to the well-floured work-table, knead it with the
walnuts and the hazelnuts, sufficiently long to insure a good rise, and
let raise in the [covered] salad bowl for 40 minutes.

4. Divide the dough in three pieces of the same weight. Shape them in
batards and place on a baking sheet-pan papered with a baking sheet
(sulphurised paper). Immediately give ten strokes of the lame blade
longitudinally in epi "ear" fashion on the batards. Cover with a damp
cloth and let raise 1 hour.

5. Pre-heat the oven to 240C. When it is has good temperature, throw a
little water on the bottom of the oven to facilitate the formation of a
crackling crust. Place the loaves in the oven, and let cook for 10 to
12 minutes.

Boron Elgar

On 9 Mar 2005 09:36:10 -0800, wrote:

>Boron Elgar Mar 9, 6:37 am wrote:
>
>Jane, if you happen to have a translation of the recipe handy, I would
>love to try making the bread.
>
>Boron
>
>Hello Boron,
>Subject to my ability, I''ll give it a quick go. Kind people here will
>likely help me with anything I get wrong.
>
>--Lisse

You are most kind. I had attempted it using my high school French, but
it was never much good for anything other than asking for a hotel or
train station.

Thank you.

Gloria

Boron Elgar Mar 9, 9:48 am said:

>Thank you. Gloria

You're welcome. My pleasure.

Cumin Julie Bove Diabetic 0 03-04-2010 07:42 AM
Cumin Joel K. 'Jay' Furr General Cooking 0 06-03-2005 11:35 PM
Cumin Ed Stuart General Cooking 7 04-11-2004 10:15 PM
Cranberry-Hazelnut Bread Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 06-06-2004 02:55 PM
Cumin Kate Pugh Vegetarian cooking 0 23-10-2003 12:02 PM