gw

Default tried a recipe from Ed Woods book

the baguette from his Ancient Sourdoughs, or whatever. (don't know why I
have a problem with the title,!)

at any rate, let the cultivar go all night last night, and got a good rise.
Went to first proof, and it took all day to get any rise at all. The house
was properly ventilated, but no drafts and about 80F, so why the problem?
anyone want to guess?
Everything done by the book.
gw

Charles Perry

gw wrote:

> anyone want to guess?

I don't know for sure what you mean by "letting the culture go
all night , then going to first proof." Ed's terminology calls
the overnight sponge stage "first Proof" If I Recall corectly.

Anyway, an overnight sponge at 80F is too long if you have an
active culture. Your sponge was probably far past it's peak;
burned out , so to speak.

> Everything done by the book.

That might be another possibility. I found the book long on
romantic adventure, a great story about searching for sourdough
cultures. I have considerably less enthusiasm for the method of
bread making, although there are some great recipes in terms of
ingredient combinations.

The rewrite of the book under the title "Classic Sourdoughs,"
back pedals away from the bread machine tecniques and dials back
on the higher temperature fermentation and proofing with a fairly
complete redo of the basic instructions. The downside is that
much of the adventure writing has been edited out.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Dick Adams

"Charles Perry" > wrote in message =

> I found the book long on romantic adventure, a great story=20
> about searching for sourdough cultures. =20

Yes ... Well, you know, I have heralded that good sourdough
strains are no further away than the end of one's nose.

Hmmm ... Can't write much of a book about that, though.

Mebbe I'll do my book on crock-pot pumpernickel. Now that
my technology embraces a bread-machine phase, Dr. Wood's
utterances can legitimately be attributed. For instances, Dr.
Wood, at some point, has mentioned that the ABM excels at
kneading. It could be added that the ABM is quite fine for mixed=20
rye glop up to a certain %rye, yet to be determined, particularly
since it can be used to avoid any touching of the stuff. Touching
rye glop can ruin a day.=20

Anyway, I would like to propose, now that the posters have
quite obviously run out of serious and cogent conversational items,
a thread on various picturesque things that the various posters
have encountered in their own personal worldwide searches for=20
strange sourdough cultures and weird sourdough applications.

--
DickA

Charles Perry

Dick Adams wrote:

> ... I have heralded that good sourdough
> strains are no further away than the end of one's nose.
>
> Hmmm ... Can't write much of a book about that, though.

Ticker said: "What an apalling lack of imagination." She
suggested a series of essays for magazines that could be
collected into book format. She offers some titles for you:
"Following My Nose Around the World", " Nosing Around in the
World of Sourdough", "Chasing My Tail- Looking for Sourdough in
All the Wrong Places" and , finally, "Sourteig" - a Wry Tail,
Nosing in the world of Brot".

I don't put down good sourdough adventure writing - fiction or
factual. After all, I bet that Jules Verne with his "Earth to
the Moon" and " Off on a Comet " stories inspired more who
eventually became rocket scientists and astro-whatever than did
the papers of Dr. Goddard.

Regards,

Charles
--
Charles Perry
Reply to:

** A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand **
Will

Dick Adams wrote:
> "Charles Perry" > wrote in message

> > I found the book long on romantic adventure, a great story
> > about searching for sourdough cultures.

> Yes ... Well, you know, I have heralded that good sourdough
> strains are no further away than the end of one's nose.

You have similarly held forth on cookbook quackery too <g>.

> Mebbe I'll do my book on crock-pot pumpernickel.

Now you're talking. I took your advice on that one and it's worked well
for me.

> Anyway, I would like to propose, now that the posters have
> quite obviously run out of serious and cogent conversational items,
> a thread on various picturesque things that the various posters
> have encountered in their own personal worldwide searches for
> strange sourdough cultures and weird sourdough applications.

Somewhere in my files, there is an old contact sheet of black and
whites documenting the baking of bread in a Raku kiln. We baked turkey
that day too so it must have been for Thanksgiving. There is a stream
in the backgound, the classic burbling brook. There are Native
Americans and even an old log cabin school house with a tin roof to be
seen. The chimney is smoking from the green wood loaded to the wood
stove. Polartec hadn't been invented so everyone is dressed in wool and
denim like in the really old L.L. Bean catalogs. I am sure if one
looked carefully one might see guns. They were everywhere. In pickup
truck racks, under car seats, in boots, purses... Loaded too.

Not as romantic as the desert and the pyramids, to be sure, but for a
young fellow. Not too bad.

Will