Karl Storck

Default Semi-newbie starter and sponge questions.

Hello everyone.

I have a nice starter running, but I have some trouble baking with it
sometimes. So I have some questions for you. (The trouble is that,
despite a very active starter (or sponge) my doughs does not raise
well. Maybe temperature is my problem. Maybe I make my doughs to
dense. Sometimes it does work. Sometimes not. I usually add yeast as
it seems that my starter is too weak.)

First of all, let me point out that the starter is alive and well.
Whenever I feed it, from the fridge or keeping it running at room
temperature, it becomes very active and raises and looks really
frothy. I usually feed it every 12 hours.

This is a cyclic behaviour. When a recepy states that I should use the
starter, where in this cycle am I supposed to use it? Is it critical?

The same goes for sponges. When should I use the sponge? When it peaks
or when it starts to get active?

Thanks
Karl
Samartha

At 04:12 AM 11/22/2004, Karl wrote:
>Hello everyone.

[..]

>This is a cyclic behaviour. When a recepy states that I should use the
>starter, where in this cycle am I supposed to use it? Is it critical?
>
>The same goes for sponges. When should I use the sponge? When it peaks
>or when it starts to get active?

If you don't like it, I guess, it's "critical".

Typically you may want to use your starter when it has the highest number
of organisms and that's about when the activity starts to decrease. Note,
that you have to deflate the starter - take the gas out - in order to
determine it's activity. The gas bubbles stay in the starter and you think
it's active where in reality it is not.

Apart from the number of organisms, other properties can be influenced by
promoting aspects of a starter, maybe rising by promoting yeasts, taste by
promoting LB's.

This can be accomplished by using different temperatures and hydrations
when growing the starter in stages. The parameter changes are quite
subtile. A change of a few degrees of centigrade promotes one component
over another.

That's a big can of worms. I beat that whole issue by using the Detmold
3-Stage process and that works just fine.

On my SD web site (http://samartha.net/SD/ ), you can see under
"References" "SD-Definition" the Microbiological growth curve which is
relevant for starter growing and under "Procedures", the "Detmold 3-Stage"
which takes care of the can of worms. It also works great for white flour
starters.

It may not be necessary to go through all those hoops but with your issue,
it may help to take a look and find some regularity with your starter
growing and what's good for you.

Samartha

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Samartha

At 04:12 AM 11/22/2004, Karl wrote:
>Hello everyone.

[..]

>This is a cyclic behaviour. When a recepy states that I should use the
>starter, where in this cycle am I supposed to use it? Is it critical?
>
>The same goes for sponges. When should I use the sponge? When it peaks
>or when it starts to get active?

If you don't like it, I guess, it's "critical".

Typically you may want to use your starter when it has the highest number
of organisms and that's about when the activity starts to decrease. Note,
that you have to deflate the starter - take the gas out - in order to
determine it's activity. The gas bubbles stay in the starter and you think
it's active where in reality it is not.

Apart from the number of organisms, other properties can be influenced by
promoting aspects of a starter, maybe rising by promoting yeasts, taste by
promoting LB's.

This can be accomplished by using different temperatures and hydrations
when growing the starter in stages. The parameter changes are quite
subtile. A change of a few degrees of centigrade promotes one component
over another.

That's a big can of worms. I beat that whole issue by using the Detmold
3-Stage process and that works just fine.

On my SD web site (http://samartha.net/SD/ ), you can see under
"References" "SD-Definition" the Microbiological growth curve which is
relevant for starter growing and under "Procedures", the "Detmold 3-Stage"
which takes care of the can of worms. It also works great for white flour
starters.

It may not be necessary to go through all those hoops but with your issue,
it may help to take a look and find some regularity with your starter
growing and what's good for you.

Samartha

remove "-nospam" when replying, and it's in my email address

Newbie Starter Question Jeff Miller Sourdough 0 25-07-2006 03:48 PM
The lifecycle of a sponge (What happens during activation of a starter) [email protected] Sourdough 0 03-06-2006 06:04 PM
Newbie-First starter help? Todd K. Sourdough 12 21-01-2006 01:07 PM
starter newbie... Spanky Ham Sourdough 8 06-01-2005 08:18 PM
starter newbie... Spanky Ham Sourdough 0 03-01-2005 06:59 AM