Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Sourdough flatbread

I made some naan bread a week ago and it turned out better than I
expected. I've looked at a lot of naan recipes on the Internet and they
all have yogurt in them, and many have baking powder as well as yeast.
And way too many ingredients for what should be an ancient staple. So I
went more minimalistic.

I took about a cup of bread flour and a generous pinch of salt, a big
dollop of starter, and added just enough water to make a stiff dough.
Then let it ferment overnight. That's it.

To bake, I pinched off a ping-pong ball sized piece of dough and rolled
it out thin on a floured countertop. Baked one-at-a-time on a hot cast
iron skillet. I flipped them a couple of times and brushed with melted
butter (ghee would have been better.) When they were toasty but still a
little soft, I took them off and started the next one. They baked
pretty fast, a little slower than a pancake.

I will make a bigger batch next time.

-Bob

<Repost>-- [Injera (Ethiopian Sourdough Flatbread.txt (1/1) -- [10) - 1 TheAncientOne Sourdough 0 18-09-2014 08:11 PM
Carr's Flatbread. James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 2 14-03-2013 05:41 PM
Flatbread Recipe (But Not Hard Flatbread) Damaeus[_2_] General Cooking 2 16-10-2009 04:52 PM
Flatbread zxcvbob General Cooking 18 24-09-2009 03:19 AM
My favorite flatbread Bruce Edwards Baking 3 29-08-2007 04:47 PM