Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Is this newsgroup finish

Hello All,

Back from work, miss the group doing summer but home for the winner.

AT&T stop news_server so reading on google which I do not like as
well. See very few post now.

Stores here in norther Virginia stop carrying bread flour excep for
King Aruther which is selling for $4.50 5lbs. Miss good bread while on
the road this summer.

Joe Umstead
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Is it finish? Finnish?

Still plenty goin on here. I think some of the regulars may be hibernatin'.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Dec 27, 8:55*pm, JoeKing > wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Back from work, miss the group doing summer but home for the winner.
>
> AT&T stop news_server so reading on google which I do not like as
> well. See very few post now.
>
> Stores here in norther Virginia stop carrying bread flour excep for
> King Aruther which is selling for $4.50 5lbs. Miss good bread while on
> the road this summer.
>
> Joe Umstead

Yes, Joe... I think this group is winding down. Sourdough blogs are
all over the place. The mystery is gone.

Will
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Will" > wrote in message

Yes, Joe... I think this group is winding down. Sourdough blogs are
all over the place. The mystery is gone.

Will

Is that what is going on? I figured the recent post about sugar and potato
starter would have received about 100 replies a few years ago. Probably many
more in direct correspondence. It is unfortunate that the talented group
that helped me so much has disbanded, if indeed that is the case.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:

> "Will" > wrote in message
>
> Yes, Joe... I think this group is winding down. Sourdough blogs are
> all over the place. The mystery is gone.
>
> Will
>
> Is that what is going on? I figured the recent post about sugar and potato
> starter would have received about 100 replies a few years ago. Probably many
> more in direct correspondence. It is unfortunate that the talented group
> that helped me so much has disbanded, if indeed that is the case.

http://sourdough.com/
http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
http://www.northwestsourdough.com/
http://sourdoughhome.com/
etc.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Maximust" > wrote in message
> http://sourdough.com/
> http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
> http://www.northwestsourdough.com/
> http://sourdoughhome.com/
> etc.

but Usenet is so much more fun...all those websites are moderated ; )

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Dec 29, 12:05*pm, "hutchndi" > wrote:
> "Maximust" > wrote in message

> >http://sourdough.com/
> >http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
> >http://www.northwestsourdough.com/
> >http://sourdoughhome.com/
> > etc.

> but Usenet is so much more fun...all those websites are moderated ; )

Maybe... but the folks contributing to those sites know more and
bullshit a lot less.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

"Will" > wrote in message
On Dec 29, 12:05 pm, "hutchndi" > wrote:
> "Maximust" > wrote in message

> >http://sourdough.com/
> >http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
> >http://www.northwestsourdough.com/
> >http://sourdoughhome.com/
> > etc.

> but Usenet is so much more fun...all those websites are moderated ; )

Maybe... but the folks contributing to those sites know more and
bullshit a lot less.

Alas, with the mystery goes the allure. So now the masses can be spoon-fed
their information from bean counting commercial vendors who entice potential
customers with promises of good pioneer baking tips while selling sourdough
cultures in pretty little packets and jars from their internet medicine
wagons. There was never anything wrong with Usenet bullshit, because if your
sitting around the fire with some ass that doesn't know beans from
blowflies, you never know what is going to show up stuck between his teeth,
and that keeps it interesting.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

hutchndi wrote:

> "Will" > wrote in message
> On Dec 29, 12:05 pm, "hutchndi" > wrote:
>> "Maximust" > wrote in message

>> >http://sourdough.com/
>> >http://www.thefreshloaf.com/
>> >http://www.northwestsourdough.com/
>> >http://sourdoughhome.com/
>> > etc.

>> but Usenet is so much more fun...all those websites are moderated ; )

> Maybe... but the folks contributing to those sites know more and
> bullshit a lot less.
>

> Alas, with the mystery goes the allure. So now the masses can be spoon-fed
> their information from bean counting commercial vendors who entice potential
> customers with promises of good pioneer baking tips while selling sourdough
> cultures in pretty little packets and jars from their internet medicine
> wagons. There was never anything wrong with Usenet bullshit, because if your
> sitting around the fire with some ass that doesn't know beans from
> blowflies, you never know what is going to show up stuck between his teeth,
> and that keeps it interesting.

I didn't link to sourdo.com because that guy is somewhat of a fraud.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Dec 29, 3:40*pm, "hutchndi" > wrote:

> Alas, with the mystery goes the allure.

Read this link and follow it's internal links to the vids. There are
some very nice dough handling demos. Plenty of allure...

Will

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/288...ing-techniques

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:55:55 -0800 (PST), JoeKing
> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>Back from work, miss the group doing summer but home for the winner.
>
>AT&T stop news_server so reading on google which I do not like as
>well. See very few post now.

Time Warner (Roadrunner service) stopped their Usenet news service
also.

Forte has a premium newsgroups service available for as low as $2.95
per month (12 GB max per month on the $2.95 service):

http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

I use the low cost one since I don't download binaries and like it.
There are some free ones, too, out there but I've found the ones I
tried out to be unreliable. They seem to disappear every now and then.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 1/9/2010 2:39 PM, Donald wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:55:55 -0800 (PST), JoeKing
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Back from work, miss the group doing summer but home for the winner.
>>
>> AT&T stop news_server so reading on google which I do not like as
>> well. See very few post now.

> Time Warner (Roadrunner service) stopped their Usenet news service
> also.
>
> Forte has a premium newsgroups service available for as low as $2.95
> per month (12 GB max per month on the $2.95 service):
>
> http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
>
> I use the low cost one since I don't download binaries and like it.
> There are some free ones, too, out there but I've found the ones I
> tried out to be unreliable. They seem to disappear every now and then.

news.eternal-september.org is free...

harvey
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On 1/9/2010 2:39 PM, Donald wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 18:55:55 -0800 (PST), JoeKing
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Back from work, miss the group doing summer but home for the winner.
>>
>> AT&T stop news_server so reading on google which I do not like as
>> well. See very few post now.

> Time Warner (Roadrunner service) stopped their Usenet news service
> also.
>
> Forte has a premium newsgroups service available for as low as $2.95
> per month (12 GB max per month on the $2.95 service):
>
> http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php
>
> I use the low cost one since I don't download binaries and like it.
> There are some free ones, too, out there but I've found the ones I
> tried out to be unreliable. They seem to disappear every now and then.

news.eternal-september.org is free...

harvey
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

JoeKing wrote:
> Hello All,

> Stores here in norther Virginia stop carrying bread flour excep for
> King Aruther which is selling for $4.50 5lbs. Miss good bread while on
> the road this summer.

The local Sam's club is now carrying 25 pound bags of Dakota Maid flour
which is very good flour.

Regards,

Charles