Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Bread sticks to pan? ? ?

This seems to be a relatively new problem to me, but my baked loaves stick
to the pans so badly that I have to practically dig the bread out.

I've used standard metal pans, glass pans, non-stick pans, and those foil
throw-away pans. The bread sticks no matter what.

Any suggestions welcome.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:43:35 -0500, "Ray"
> wrote:

>This seems to be a relatively new problem to me, but my baked loaves stick
>to the pans so badly that I have to practically dig the bread out.
>
>I've used standard metal pans, glass pans, non-stick pans, and those foil
>throw-away pans. The bread sticks no matter what.
>
>Any suggestions welcome.

Try greasing the pans with Crisco, oil, oil spray or butter, as you
prefer. Or use parchment and bake free form on a stone or sheet pan.

When I bake loaves in bread pans, I use spray, and I also remove the
bread from the pan about half way through cooking, or as soon as the
crust is well-formed enough to support the loaf.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I tried them all and the best non-stick of all is a little lecithin
mixed with some pure vegetable oil, like soy bean or peanut oil. I
can't give you an exact measurement, but I mix something like a 1:4
ration of lecithin to oil. Don't make too much, it lasts forever.
Unfortunately, the bottle of lecithin in the health food store may
turn out to be a lifetime supply, but it's not that expensive.

Ron

On Nov 10, 6:56*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:43:35 -0500, "Ray"
>
> > wrote:
> >This seems to be a relatively new problem to me, but my baked loaves stick
> >to the pans so badly that I have to practically dig the bread out.

> >I've used standard metal pans, glass pans, non-stick pans, and those foil
> >throw-away pans. *The bread sticks no matter what.

> >Any suggestions welcome.

> Try greasing the pans with Crisco, oil, oil spray or butter, as you
> prefer. *Or use parchment and bake free form on a stone or sheet pan.
>
> When I bake loaves in bread pans, I use spray, and I also remove the
> bread from the pan about half way through cooking, or as soon as the
> crust is well-formed enough to support the loaf.
>
> Boron

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Nov 10, 6:56*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> Try greasing the pans with Crisco, oil, oil spray ...

Here is a neat trick: oil mixed half and half with water can be
sprayed with a salvaged spray container (like window cleaner
comes in). You get to choose healthier oil. Good, too, for
hot-air popcorn (makes white cheese powder stick).
Cheaper than PAM, and harmless to the atmosphere.

You gotta keep shaking it up as you use it.

Another thing: if the pans are oiled repeatedly, and cleaned
minimally, they become naturally non-stick. They are best
when they look real dirty.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Sorry for my typo for "ratio." Here is a reference:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4449528_make...ing-spray.html

They recommend making a spray out of it, but I find that the lecithin
settles and it's easier to use a utensil to remix it each time and
just take some on a spoon or knife. Anyway, the lecithin-oil mixture
is something all bread makers should know about.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:05:46 -0800 (PST), Ron >
wrote:

>I tried them all and the best non-stick of all is a little lecithin
>mixed with some pure vegetable oil, like soy bean or peanut oil. I
>can't give you an exact measurement, but I mix something like a 1:4
>ration of lecithin to oil. Don't make too much, it lasts forever.
>Unfortunately, the bottle of lecithin in the health food store may
>turn out to be a lifetime supply, but it's not that expensive.
>
>Ron
>
>On Nov 10, 6:56*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:43:35 -0500, "Ray"
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >This seems to be a relatively new problem to me, but my baked loaves stick
>> >to the pans so badly that I have to practically dig the bread out.

>> >I've used standard metal pans, glass pans, non-stick pans, and those foil
>> >throw-away pans. *The bread sticks no matter what.

>> >Any suggestions welcome.

>> Try greasing the pans with Crisco, oil, oil spray or butter, as you
>> prefer. *Or use parchment and bake free form on a stone or sheet pan.
>>
>> When I bake loaves in bread pans, I use spray, and I also remove the
>> bread from the pan about half way through cooking, or as soon as the
>> crust is well-formed enough to support the loaf.
>>
>> Boron

A tad of vodka mixed with the oil and put into a mister works well,
too,, and you needn't walk into the health food store at all, but
party on better.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:11:56 -0800 (PST), Ron >
wrote:

>Sorry for my typo for "ratio." Here is a reference:
>http://www.ehow.com/how_4449528_make...ing-spray.html
>
>They recommend making a spray out of it, but I find that the lecithin
>settles and it's easier to use a utensil to remix it each time and
>just take some on a spoon or knife. Anyway, the lecithin-oil mixture
>is something all bread makers should know about.

Well, only if you have trouble with bread sticking to pans, anyway.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I had this problem at first. Tried a few oily suggestions. Then decided if I
am purposely not adding any oil to my bread, then why am I going coat the
outside of it with oil just to keep it from sticking to a pan? I stopped
using pans and never looked back.

By the way, when did RFS start adding replies to the bottom of posts again?
I liked it much better when everybody added to the top, you don't have to
scroll through a growing list of already read replies every time you open
one.

Russ Hutch

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:01:06 -0500, "hutchndi" >
wrote:

>I had this problem at first. Tried a few oily suggestions. Then decided if I
>am purposely not adding any oil to my bread, then why am I going coat the
>outside of it with oil just to keep it from sticking to a pan? I stopped
>using pans and never looked back.

Any oil sprayed on a pan should be as insignificant to the final loaf
as is letting the dough rise in an oiled bowl or container. You can
choose to do either or both without oil, of course.

>By the way, when did RFS start adding replies to the bottom of posts again?
>I liked it much better when everybody added to the top, you don't have to
>scroll through a growing list of already read replies every time you open
>one.

The Usenet standard is bottom reply, but this is a quiet group and
any sourdough related posts merit consideration as far as I am
concerned. I am perfectly capable of figuring out who is posting and
who is replying, assuming the newsreader is one that allows original
post quotation. It can get tricky if no proper attributions are
included and top posting is done. Again, if the post warrants reading,
I'll go to the trouble of figuring it all out, but not everyone will.

I am more interested in content than in form.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Hey, didn't mean anybodys posts were not worth reading or whatever, in fact,
in my own opinion, most of my posts have been much less exciting then
watching dough rise

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:14:03 -0500, "hutchndi" >
wrote:

>Hey, didn't mean anybodys posts were not worth reading or whatever, in fact,
>in my own opinion, most of my posts have been much less exciting then
>watching dough rise

I love reading your posts. Didn't mean to imply otherwise. I am just
laissez faire about the enforcement of most Usenet rules, that's all.
Boron
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:43:35 -0500, "Ray"
> wrote:

>This seems to be a relatively new problem to me, but my baked loaves stick
>to the pans so badly that I have to practically dig the bread out.
>
>I've used standard metal pans, glass pans, non-stick pans, and those foil
>throw-away pans. The bread sticks no matter what.
>
>Any suggestions welcome.

I use Teflon pans. Let them cool for one or two minutes and
tilt them and the bread slides out.
No nasty fat , oils etc that way.
Sourdough is about flavor, not middle ages
[]'s

http://www.tramontina.com.br/produto...ara-pao-e-bolo

not an advertisement, as it is Brazilian, and people abroad cannot
buy. There is a pdf download in English on the page tells you how to
maintain pan.
I have 3, in use weekly since 2003, and they are still almost
non-stick (maid scrubbed them with steel wool once, so not new
anymore). They cost around 10 dollars here, in supermarkets.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Nov 13, 9:52*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:01:06 -0500, "hutchndi" >
> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> I am perfectly capable of figuring out who is posting and
> who is replying, assuming the newsreader is one that allows original
> post quotation.

Well, that's you. Not everybody is capable of figuring out what is
going
on when a thread gets to be a total mess, as most threads usually do.

> The Usenet standard is bottom reply.

Usenet is dead. Long live Usenet!
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I take another hiatus and what do you know, upon my return I find myself in
the somewhat awkward position of being in synch with Dick Adams ...

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message
On Nov 13, 9:52 am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:01:06 -0500, "hutchndi" >
> wrote:
> [ ... ]
> I am perfectly capable of figuring out who is posting and
> who is replying, assuming the newsreader is one that allows original
> post quotation.

Well, that's you. Not everybody is capable of figuring out what is
going
on when a thread gets to be a total mess, as most threads usually do.

> The Usenet standard is bottom reply.

Usenet is dead. Long live Usenet!

Banana Bread Sticks jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 23-03-2007 01:42 PM
Cheese Bread Sticks jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 26-11-2006 03:20 AM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 3 27-08-2005 07:58 AM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 0 24-08-2005 08:18 PM
Bread Sticks Tim Recipes 0 10-06-2005 12:24 PM