Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default k-tec

Does anyone have any expieriance with the k-tec wheat grinder?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Yea I do, it is OK grinder with few "buts".

1. It is quite noisy and I use ear protection when I work with it.
2. It is dusty. I would not use it inside the house or in a small room
without very good ventilation or dust mask.
It may be because I do not use an original foam filter actually I do not
use any at all. The reason is that the filter gets plugged
very quickly and restricts air flow used to cool the motor. So with
bigger batches I grind (25 KG) at the time it would
seriously overheat the motor.
3. At the end of the grain load kernels tend to bounce out of the rotating
head feed therefore I advise to use protective goggles.
4. A flour container is a little small and require frequent dumping. I was
thinking about cutting the bottom of it and installing
it over much bigger one. But did not get there yet.
5. Cleaning after the job is a little difficult with all the small spaces
and is best done with compressed air if you have access to it.
But it is necessary as whole flour will turn rancid and will spoil the
one done next time.

It does mill quite fine flour good enough for bread. And I prefer smell and
bread made from K-tec flour over a store one.
So I would buy it again based on my present experience.

Arek