Roy Basan

Default Recent Symposium on sourdough fermentation

Hello Sourdough people....
Lately I read the January –February issueof Cereal Foods World Vol 49
(1) (2004)of the American Association of Cereal Chemist journal
which had an article about the recent symposium in sourdough held in
Europe.
It was titled" Sourdough Fermentation: From Fundamentals to
Applications by Michael Ganzle and Luc de Vuyst.
Among the topics mentioned were the Taxonomy Biodiversity and
Genetics of Sourdough lactic acid bacteria.
They also classified fermented bread dough into four types:
Type O which is made of baker's yeast and can include also strains of
lactobacilli present in such yeast culture.
Type 1 dough belong to the traditional sourdough ( cultured by
continuous propagation at normal temperature)which contains primarily
lactobacillus san Francisco.
Type 2 dough used in industrial sourdough baking that consist of
thermophilic, and acid tolerant lactobacilli called as L. fermentii
and L. pontis.
Type 3 dough which uses dried sourdough and starter cultures
This confirms that sourdough is not all about san francisco....but a
rather wide lot of organisms that are claimed by that paper and new
speices are continously being discovered.
There was also a brief discussion of the fermentation technology and
Application ; its all about industrialized application of sourdough
culture.The baking industry has adopted certain strains with specific
metabolic properties( that is hightly suitable to automated production
in industrial baking) which are available as paste and powder
freeze-dried preparation and as liquid or pumpable cultures.This
means that the traditional methods are ill suited for such highly
mechanized institutional production.
Very interesting topics indeed.
In addtion....there was also other discussioin
That includes preservative action of sourdough organisms, health
aspects of sourdough, its effect on reducing the gluten sensitivity of
celiac sufferers through a different biochemical mechanisms,the
difference of bread aroma and flavor between lactic bacteria and
yeasts.etc.
Unfortunately it was not a detailed technical discussion in that
journal but a summary; but the complete proceedings of it will be
available soon in the scientific journal called ‘ Trends in Food
Science and Technology' by the middle of 2004.
This information is likely to warm up the hearts of the sourdough
devotees here.
Roy
ab

"The Taxonomy Biodiversity, and genetics of Sourdough Lactic Acid Bacteria."

Seems to me I read a recent account of a couple of 1890 pioneer prospectors
sitting at the entrance to their mine making sourdough pancakes for
breakfast. They were discussing this very topic! Fascinating!

AB

"Roy Basan" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello Sourdough people....
> Lately I read the January -February issueof Cereal Foods World Vol 49
> (1) (2004)of the American Association of Cereal Chemist journal
> which had an article about the recent symposium in sourdough held in
> Europe.
> It was titled" Sourdough Fermentation: From Fundamentals to
> Applications by Michael Ganzle and Luc de Vuyst.
> Among the topics mentioned were the Taxonomy Biodiversity and
> Genetics of Sourdough lactic acid bacteria.
> They also classified fermented bread dough into four types:
> Type O which is made of baker's yeast and can include also strains of
> lactobacilli present in such yeast culture.
> Type 1 dough belong to the traditional sourdough ( cultured by
> continuous propagation at normal temperature)which contains primarily
> lactobacillus san Francisco.
> Type 2 dough used in industrial sourdough baking that consist of
> thermophilic, and acid tolerant lactobacilli called as L. fermentii
> and L. pontis.
> Type 3 dough which uses dried sourdough and starter cultures
> This confirms that sourdough is not all about san francisco....but a
> rather wide lot of organisms that are claimed by that paper and new
> speices are continously being discovered.
> There was also a brief discussion of the fermentation technology and
> Application ; its all about industrialized application of sourdough
> culture.The baking industry has adopted certain strains with specific
> metabolic properties( that is hightly suitable to automated production
> in industrial baking) which are available as paste and powder
> freeze-dried preparation and as liquid or pumpable cultures.This
> means that the traditional methods are ill suited for such highly
> mechanized institutional production.
> Very interesting topics indeed.
> In addtion....there was also other discussioin
> That includes preservative action of sourdough organisms, health
> aspects of sourdough, its effect on reducing the gluten sensitivity of
> celiac sufferers through a different biochemical mechanisms,the
> difference of bread aroma and flavor between lactic bacteria and
> yeasts.etc.
> Unfortunately it was not a detailed technical discussion in that
> journal but a summary; but the complete proceedings of it will be
> available soon in the scientific journal called ' Trends in Food
> Science and Technology' by the middle of 2004.
> This information is likely to warm up the hearts of the sourdough
> devotees here.
> Roy

Janet Bostwick

"ab" > wrote in message
> "The Taxonomy Biodiversity, and genetics of Sourdough Lactic Acid

Bacteria."

> Seems to me I read a recent account of a couple of 1890 pioneer

prospectors
> sitting at the entrance to their mine making sourdough pancakes for
> breakfast. They were discussing this very topic! Fascinating!
>
> AB

And your point is?

Brian Mailman

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> "ab" > wrote in message
> > "The Taxonomy Biodiversity, and genetics of Sourdough Lactic Acid

> Bacteria."
> >
> > Seems to me I read a recent account of a couple of 1890 pioneer

> prospectors
> > sitting at the entrance to their mine making sourdough pancakes for
> > breakfast. They were discussing this very topic! Fascinating!
> >
> > AB

> And your point is?

I believe his point is that too many do too much fussing with something
that should be basic.

B/
Roy Basan

"ab" > wrote in message >...
> "The Taxonomy Biodiversity, and genetics of Sourdough Lactic Acid Bacteria."
>
> Seems to me I read a recent account of a couple of 1890 pioneer prospectors
> sitting at the entrance to their mine making sourdough pancakes for
> breakfast. They were discussing this very topic! Fascinating!
>
> AB

It seems like the scientific characters of that movie Back to the
Future III Dr Emmet Brown have some other scientific interest
which he did not divulge in that movie(g>.
He was also scientifically interested in sourdough baking!
And he did not left for the past in 1985 but in 2004 and had already
brought copy of that January- February issue of Cereal Foods World
with him to keep up with the developments.
And it ended up in the hands of the prospectors!

Roy

Roy Basan

"ab" > wrote in message >...
> "The Taxonomy Biodiversity, and genetics of Sourdough Lactic Acid Bacteria."
>
> Seems to me I read a recent account of a couple of 1890 pioneer prospectors
> sitting at the entrance to their mine making sourdough pancakes for
> breakfast. They were discussing this very topic! Fascinating!
>
> AB

Gosh!It seems like the scientific characters of that movie Back to
the Future III Dr Emmet Brown have some other scientific interest
which he did not divulge in that movie(g>.
He was also scientifically interested in sourdough baking!
And he did not left for the past in 1985 but in 2004 and had already
brought copy of that January- February issue of Cereal Foods World (
I mentioned in the previous posts) with him to keep up with the
developments.
And that journal ended up in the hands of the prospectors who were
surprisingly capable of reading such scientific treatise!
Very interesting indeed!
Roy
Ripmarge

I am not a professional baker. I bought my starter from Ed Wood, "Sourdough
International many years ago. I'm very interested in the phenomen of the
culture. Wher is this magazine available?
Roy Basan

(Ripmarge) wrote in message >...
> I am not a professional baker. I bought my starter from Ed Wood, "Sourdough
> International many years ago. I'm very interested in the phenomen of the
> culture. Wher is this magazine available?

This magazine can be procured from this organization AACC.
but its available here also.
http://www.nonprofitjournals.org/jou...oods_world.htm
You can contact them for more information.
That presentation in that article about sourdough trends is brief
;just enough to give you an idea what are the latest development in
sourdough.
I am still awaiting the publication about the proceedings but viewing
their website
http://else.hebis.de/cgi-bin/sciserv...urnal=09242244
did not show anything about it except discussion of lactic bacteria
such as in the july -august issue.

Roy
Ripmarge

Been away for a while, but wanted to thank you for the reply. Probably a
little too technical for me, but interesting anyway. I'm just a home baker of
sourdough, the only kind we eat.
Ripmarge

I just looked it up on Amazon......... the price told me that I would read it
on line if I could find it!