Dick Adams

Default Great news for SD Breadmaschiners -- or maybe not ...

Well, here comes the new *Baker's Catalog*=20
( www.bakerscatalog.com ) with the news that the new Zo, is
here. The new Zojirushi Home Bakery X20 reportedly has,
among other features, a sourdough cycle which incubates your
sponge (biga, poolish, whatever) for two hours, as well as three
fully-programmable cycles.

Well, I feel this way: The first bread machine maker which=20
provides a serial or USB connection plus software for my PC
will get my attention. Or, for some time in the future, BlueTooth.

The most useful possible feature, which is categorically omitted
from all designs, is a "bake now" button and a button for delay bake
for NN minutes. Another thing, for programmable breadmakers, would
be a full manual mode to allow one to refine one's parameters.

If a thread develops here, I will forward it to the distributors of the=20
Asian breadmakers (which is all there there are I understand). Judging
by the instruction book that came with the one (no Zo) I recently got,=20
they are slow to find out how their gadgets actually work.

---
DickA

Dick Adams

"Ellen Wickberg" > wrote in message=20

> Is Asian ( as in Asian breadmakers ) a brand name ...=20

Made in Asia. Most bread machines are made in China. Almost
all our household gadgets are. The Chinese make good stuff in
spite of being very poorly paid in most cases.

Maybe some are made in Japan and Korea. I think a lot of the
stuff we think of as Japan-made is all or partly made elsewhere
in Asia these days. =20

> or is this a joke that I just don't get? =20

If a joke, not too funny. That is where our jobs are going. No
unions, minimum wages, health plans, etc., there. =20

My thought about bread machines is that they are all good, if you
can figure out how to use them. Most people, including me, have
not figured out how to use them for sourdough breads. In general
the recipes that come with them are hopeless, so you need to
find out how to fit the one you happen to get into your own style.
I do not personally like them so well that I would spend much=20
money on one. The Zo I mentioned was offered for $200 which
makes it topical at r.f.s. and out-of-sight for me. Please, some one,
buy one and comment. For instance, does it say on it "Made in=20
China"?

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com

wildeny

"Dick Adams" > wrote in message >...
> Maybe some are made in Japan and Korea. I think a lot of the
> stuff we think of as Japan-made is all or partly made elsewhere
> in Asia these days.

That's true. Not only Japan-brand but aslo western-brand stuff.

My old Zo's was made in Korea. It's old model so that it cannot be
customized. But I use it in delay cylce every two days. It is great
that I have fresh bread when coming home after work. The recipes in
the manual are workable (the manual can be downloaded from the
website). The service (in Japan) is excellent. I contacted them by
email once about the problem in the pan. They called me soon. Since I
didn't speak Japanese, they found a staff who can speak a little
English to hear my problem. In the end, they sent me a new pan with
two new paddles, even though the machine was made 5 years ago! All
were free!
Ernie

"wildeny" > wrote in message
om...
>My old Zo's was made in Korea. It's old model so that it cannot

be
> customized.

I had one of the first Zo's made, the small 1 pound loaf. I
wore out the bearing in one pan and got another pan and paddle.
I don't know where it was made but it was expensive ($150) and it
didn't last very long. I was disappointed with it.
I bought an Oster on sale for $40 and it has been the best
machine you would ever want. I have worn out the pan bearing and
bought a new pan and paddle for it. I bake our regular bread in
it and use it to mix sourdough all the time. It has lasted four
times a long as the Zo and is still going strong.
I have a Kitchen Aid Mixer, but it is too much trouble to use
and clean up.
Ernie

Great news for Nunya, Blake and others... Pete C. General Cooking 1 04-08-2011 11:22 AM
This is great news! McDoogle General 0 14-08-2008 08:26 AM
This is great news! McDoogle Tea 0 11-08-2008 08:10 AM
Great news - Crash is home! limey General Cooking 15 15-06-2005 12:11 AM
Great News... onward we go Dave Bugg Barbecue 20 18-05-2004 07:41 PM