Dustin

Default I think I finally figured it out! **PICTURES**

Hi everybody.

Well, after about four months of sourdough baking, I think I finally
figured out what I was doing. I'm not one-hundred percent satisfied
with everything I bake, but today I had a pretty good day.

The goal was breadbowls for clam chowder, but after they came out of
the oven, they looked so good I couldn't resist cutting one open to
see how it tasted just as good old bread. I was pleasantly surprised.
The taste, while not sour, was quite delicious. The crust had just the
right thickness and stretch, and the texture was almost perfect. I'm
including some pictures and would invite any and all feedback you kind
folks on r.f.s. would be inclined to share.

I'm using the original San Francisco sourdough starter from Sourdoughs
International. I mixed about a forth cup of starter straight from the
fridge with around four cups of Gold Medal flour and enough water to
make a nice, thick batter consistency. After 20 hours, I returned a
fourth cup to the bottle in the fridge, added a cup of water, 2
tablespoons salt, and enough flour to make a nice, smooth dough. After
a four hour rise on baking sheets with a little cornmeal, they went
into the oven for 35 minutes at 375. Here are the results - enjoy!

Sliced loaf:
http://www.lovellsonline.com/sd1122/loaf1.jpg

Individual slice:
http://www.lovellsonline.com/sd1122/slice.jpg

Texture detail:
http://www.lovellsonline.com/sd1122/texture.jpg

Breadbowls:
http://www.lovellsonline.com/sd1122/breadbowls.jpg

--
Remove _nospam_ to email
Dick Adams

In message ...
"Dustin" > posted links to four
photos, and a summary procedure. He concluded:

> I would invite any and all feedback you kind folks on r.f.s.=20
> would be inclined to share.

Looks good me, Dustin. Not the Poil=E2ne loaf quite yet, but fine
enough to sip your chowder from. Let's see what "Bob" says:

"Bob", what do you think about that? That's only his third post, and=20
already there's graphical evidence of success.

---
DickA

Bob

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:35:26 GMT, "Dick Adams" >
wrote:

>"Bob", what do you think about that? That's only his third post, and=20
>already there's graphical evidence of success.

Your happiness is our happiness.

Live Long and Prosper.

Dick Adams

"Ignoramus22857" >=20
wrote in message ...

> looks like very decent bread.

over full requote of

Still not contented,

"Ignoramus22857" >=20
wrote in message ...

> looks like very decent bread.

over full requote of

Igno, full requote over or under a single line comment distinguishes
you as an ignoramus. Twice and you are an ignoranus. But why am
I telling you this? -- you already know.

But it was nice of you to commend Dustin's contribution. You seem=20
to be a nice person. Why don't you shed your stupidity and get a=20
better identity. Or are you on a campaign to establish status for the
intellectually challenged? If so, you are clearly not alone. But it =
will
not work at r.f.s.

--=20
Dick Adams
<firstname> dot <lastname>at bigfoot dot com

Ed Bechtel

Dustin,

Great looking bread! I think you Have figured it out. Looks like you're ready
to have a dinner party with all those chowder bowls (how did you knead that
much dough?). Thanks for sharing your photos.

Ed Bechtel

Dustin

ojunk (Ed Bechtel) wrote in message >...

> how did you knead that much dough?).
> Ed Bechtel

Ed,

My mother, in her infinite wisdom, gave my wife and me a Bosch mixer
for our wedding:

http://www.boschappliances.com/small...ances_1748.asp

It does a pretty good job of kneading my dough for me. I just have to
be careful that I watch it closely, because if the dough gets out of
balance in the mixing bowl, the whole mixer starts to lurch across the
kitchen counter. I learned this the hard way a couple of months ago. I
turned my back on the mixer for a few seconds, only to hear the whole
thing crashing to the floor behind me. Miraculously, nothing was
broken and it works just as well after the fall as it ever did (that's
German engineering for you).

This particular batch yielded a little over 3kg of dough. That's
probably about as much as I'd want to put in this mixer. That produced
9 250g breadbowls and 1 850g loaf.

By the way, the dinner party went over well. Everyone loved the bread,
and I made chowder for the first time. Anybody want to share a good
chowder recipe?

Thanks again for all the help and feedback. I'll keep everybody
posted.

Regards,
Dustin

--