Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default SD Camping Recipes?

I am interested in some sourdough recipes that can be made out at a
campfire.

I am not a purist only wanting a 4 item bread, but like all kinds with
any flour mix so fire away.

Figure cast iron fry pans or even dutch oven, reflector oven, hot rocks
or any other way as we set up a base camp with our Jeeps so can get gear
way back into the Canadian Bush. Firewood isn't an issue. I do
marinated ducks and ribs on spits for all afternoon cooking, etc....

I actually have a sweet Coleman Oven that fits on my Coleman stove so
can bake anything that fits an 8x8" pan, but am looking for campfire and
coals type cooking.

My family like both the heavy basic SD bread and rolls and the light
fluffy stuff I can make with added milk, honey or sugar and eggs.

My latest 'fluffy' SD bread made with milk, eggs and sugar gave a nice
chewy crust with a really soft light center.

http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3905055916
http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3905055758

This one was 4 ingredient in a small cast iron pan:
http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3910157288

Mike
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

On Jul 3, 5:09 pm, Mike Romain > wrote:
> I am interested in some sourdough recipes that can be made out at a
> campfire.
>
> I am not a purist only wanting a 4 item bread, but like all kinds with
> any flour mix so fire away.
>
> Figure cast iron fry pans or even dutch oven, reflector oven, hot rocks
> or any other way as we set up a base camp with our Jeeps so can get gear
> way back into the Canadian Bush. Firewood isn't an issue. I do
> marinated ducks and ribs on spits for all afternoon cooking, etc....
>
> I actually have a sweet Coleman Oven that fits on my Coleman stove so
> can bake anything that fits an 8x8" pan, but am looking for campfire and
> coals type cooking.
>
> My family like both the heavy basic SD bread and rolls and the light
> fluffy stuff I can make with added milk, honey or sugar and eggs.
>
> My latest 'fluffy' SD bread made with milk, eggs and sugar gave a nice
> chewy crust with a really soft light center.
>
> http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/...614/3905055758
>
> This one was 4 ingredient in a small cast iron pan:http://www.imagestation.com/3118614/3910157288
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

I do a lot of camping with the Scouts (Asst. Scoutmaster) and we have
a bunch of recipes for dutch oven cooking. One of my favorites is to
make a stew, any kind you want to make. Mix up a batch of any
sourdough biscuit recipe (I use #801 from the recipe FAQ) and spoon
the dough on top of the stew in large dollops. Replace the lid and
cook until the tops of the biscuits are brown. I am working on the
sourdough choc cake recipe and adapting it to a dutch oven. I have
not tried baking sourdough bread in a dutch oven yet but there is no
reason why it would not work.

Gene