Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Default Sunset magazine sourdough cookbook Bagel recipie

Years ago my mother-in-law bought me a sunset magazine sourdough
cookbook. My son could gobble them up much faster than I could make
them. Then 2 he recycled my cookbook...and I have been looking for
the bagel recipe ever since. It called for broiling, boiling then
baking. ANyone have a copy of this book?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

wrote:
> Years ago my mother-in-law bought me a sunset magazine sourdough
> cookbook. My son could gobble them up much faster than I could make
> them. Then 2 he recycled my cookbook...and I have been looking for
> the bagel recipe ever since. It called for broiling, boiling then
> baking. ANyone have a copy of this book?

I don't have that recipe, but many people have been very happy with my
recipe which is online at
http://www.sourdoughhome.com/sourdoughbagels.html

Hope that helps,
Mike

--
Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692

Recently Seen On A Bumper Sticker Near Your Home:
Montana --- At least our cows are sane!
Posted to rec.food.sourdough

I think this may be the recipe you lost, except there's no broiling. If the
posting doesn't read correctly (the first section is in a table), let me
know and I can email you a Word or .pdf document.

SOURDOUGH BAGELS

(Modified from Sunset Breads book, P. 92)

Plain
Raisin
Onion

Soak raisins in whiskey, rum or cream sherry
1 chopped onion

2 c. starter
2 c. starter
2 c. starter

2/3 c. warm water
substitute 1/4 c. liquor for 1/4 c. water (for total of 2/3 c. liquid)
slightly less than 2/3 c. warm water

3 T. sugar
5 T. sugar
3 T. sugar

1 t. salt
1 t. salt
2 t. salt

1/2 t. almond extract
1 /2 t. onion powder

1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 T. rye flour

1 T. potato flakes

3 1/2 c. flour
3 1/2 c. flour
3 1/2 c. flour

3 qts. boiling water
3 qts. boiling water
3 qts. boiling water

2 T. sugar added to water
2 T. sugar added to water
2 T. sugar added to water

1 egg, beaten
1 egg, beaten
1 egg, beaten

Mix sugar, salt, starter, water, and 2 1/2 C flour in large bowl
until it pulls away from sides of bowl. Add flour to make firm dough (about
1 cup). Knead until smooth; let rise in a greased bowl until doubled.

Punch down, knead briefly, and divide into 20 lumps. Shape each
lump into a ball, then push a hole through to form bagel. (When I add
raisins or blueberries, I make a wide rope of the lump, line up the fruit on
it, fold dough over the fruit and press the edges together, then press the
ends together into a circle. If you add frozen blueberries directly to the
dough it gets very wet, slimy and gray and you have to add more flour. I
haven't tried fresh blueberries yet.) Rise to double on greased sheets.

Bring 3 qts water + 2 T. sugar to a boil. Adjust heat until
boiling steadily but gently. Lift bagels off sheet with spatula, drop them
into water one at a time. Boil 1 minute, then turn over for another minute.
Lift out with slotted spoon onto baking sheet (drain if too wet). Brush
them with beaten egg.

Bake 20 minutes at 375° or until golden.
Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Years ago my mother-in-law bought me a sunset magazine sourdough
> cookbook. My son could gobble them up much faster than I could make
> them. Then 2 he recycled my cookbook...and I have been looking for
> the bagel recipe ever since. It called for broiling, boiling then
> baking. ANyone have a copy of this book?

Posted to rec.food.sourdough

Sorry about that .... I'll just post the plain recipe here. Lobo