Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
Alex Brown

Default Restaurants in Washington D.C. area (proposal)

Hi Everyone,

Please recommend a restaurant in D.C./VA area. I'm looking for a nice,
expensive one with private table/room option for two. European cuisine
is desired (French/Italian/...), but American would probably work as
well. I am going to propose in a month, but want to make reservations
well in advance.

Thanks a lot.

Alex.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
pltrgyst

On 21 Nov 2005 10:08:57 -0800, "Alex Brown" >
wrote:

>Please recommend a restaurant in D.C./VA area. I'm looking for a nice,
>expensive one with private table/room option for two. European cuisine
>is desired (French/Italian/...), but American would probably work as
>well. I am going to propose in a month, but want to make reservations
>well in advance.

Da Domenico (Italian) in Tyson's Corner has several completely
curtained-off (with very heavy red drapes) table alcoves in its dining
room. Plus it's very romantic with the proprietor's opera singing. It
seems like every other time we eat there, someone proposes at the
table next to us. (No one's been turned down yet!)

Taberna del Alabardero has a larger private room (seats perhaps 8)
which would make for a memorable "Lord and lady of the manor"
head-and-foot seating extravaganza, plus it undoubtedly has the best
Spanish food in America.

Not a private room (although they might have one), but the Old
Angler's Inn just outside the beltway in Maryland has an upstairs (via
circular stairway) dining room, and a room with fireplace full of
couches and chairs downstairs. Very romantic, and many engagements are
initiated there.

And if you really want to do it in style, the Inn at Little
Washington, about 75 minutes away by limo, is one of the five or so
best restaurants in the country, and can arrange anything you wish. It
is an actual inn, as well.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
sfw

Alex Brown wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Please recommend a restaurant in D.C./VA area. I'm looking for a nice,
> expensive one with private table/room option for two. European cuisine
> is desired (French/Italian/...), but American would probably work as
> well. I am going to propose in a month, but want to make reservations
> well in advance.

1789 would be wonderful.

Sarah
Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
Alex Brown

Sarah,

Do they have private tables at 1789?

Alex.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
pltrgyst

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:58:49 -0500, sfw > wrote:

>1789 would be wonderful.

Nice setting, especially in winter when the fireplace is going, but pretty
mediocre food.

I think the ambiance is very similar to La Chaumiere, in Georgetown, another
favorite.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
peg kay

pltrgyst wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:58:49 -0500, sfw > wrote:
>

>>1789 would be wonderful.
>>

>Nice setting, especially in winter when the fireplace is going, but pretty
>mediocre food.
>
>I think the ambiance is very similar to La Chaumiere, in Georgetown, another
>favorite.
>
>-- Larry

La Chaumiere has at least one private dining room; it's one of my
favorite restaurants, but I think better suited to a mid-marriage
anniversary than a proposal place. It's pretty noisy.

Peg

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
bijoudog

I completely agree with the Inn at Little Washington idea. I don't remember
if they have a private room, but as a great inn I'd think they could come up
with an idea. Plus, there are few better restaurants anywhere.

"Alex Brown" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Everyone,
>
> Please recommend a restaurant in D.C./VA area. I'm looking for a nice,
> expensive one with private table/room option for two. European cuisine
> is desired (French/Italian/...), but American would probably work as
> well. I am going to propose in a month, but want to make reservations
> well in advance.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>

> Alex.

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining

Visit RED SAGE Restaurant, a surprising and elegant place to sample
the forgotten and wonderful food of the American West.
The restaurant is itself a work of art

The cheff who created this restaurant is the world famous Mark Miller
who has written many cookbooks and opened many wonderful restaurants
around the country.

The Red Sage restaurant is particularly pertinent since many foreign
visitors to Washington DC only know the hamburger and hot dog as
American food.

605 14th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20005
Telephone: 202-638-4444
Open/Close: MON-SUN 11:30 am-11:30 pm.
Category: Southwestern
Meals Served: Lunch. Dinner.
Cost: Expensive
Other Info: Reservations Required. Full Bar on Site.
Area Hotels: (Visiting from out of town? Below is a quick list of 3
lodging options in the area of Red Sage)
Holiday Inn Downtown
Comfort Inn
Homewood Suites by Hilton

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
Alex Brown

We've been to the Inn before... Would like something different now. Any
ideas??

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
pltrgyst

On 27 Nov 2005 19:34:13 -0800, "Alex Brown" >
wrote:

>We've been to the Inn before... Would like something different now. Any
>ideas??

More possibilities at the high end:

- Cindy Wolf's Charleston, or the Brass Elephant in Baltimore.
- Michel Richard's Citronelle in Georgetown
- the Laboratorio at Roberto Donna's Galileo
- L'Auberge Chez Francois
- L'Auberge Provencale inn and restaurant in White Post, VA
(http://www.laubergeprovencale.com/)

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.restaurants,dc.dining
peg kay

pltrgyst wrote:

>On 27 Nov 2005 19:34:13 -0800, "Alex Brown" >
>wrote:
>

>>We've been to the Inn before... Would like something different now. Any
>>ideas??
>>

>More possibilities at the high end:
>
>- Cindy Wolf's Charleston, or the Brass Elephant in Baltimore.
>- Michel Richard's Citronelle in Georgetown
>- the Laboratorio at Roberto Donna's Galileo
>- L'Auberge Chez Francois
>- L'Auberge Provencale inn and restaurant in White Post, VA
>(http://www.laubergeprovencale.com/)
>
>-- Larry

Odd that you should mention that. We haven't been to L'Auberge
Provencale in many years -- in fact, right after they opened -- and we
recently decided to revisit sometime this spring. (It's a nice drive
from DC in the spring in a convertible). If L'Auberge is as good as it
was then, it's a splendid choice. We stayed at the Inn and had the most
elaborate breakfast we've ever had -- a seven-course breakfast! The
dining room was gorgeous, a sunny add-on to the main building. Nice
story about how the Inn got there. The guy who owns it (if it's still
the same guy) owned a restaurant in Florida (I think somewhere in the
Keys) and was flying with a friend in a privately-owned plane in the
area. Some minor engine trouble developed; they set down in Winchester
to get it fixed and rented a car to tour the environs. They passed the
building that now houses the restaurant and, the building being on the
historic register, they stopped to look at it, he became enchanted with
the looks of the place, and he and his wife moved their restaurant to
White Post.

Peg