Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Melba's Jammin'

Default Carmelo's Italian restaurant - St. Paul

It was a good experience all around -- good food, great company. Our
plan was to meet and eat at 6:30 and when we arrived, our party planner
informed us that he had put us on the "call ahead and tell us you're
coming and we'll put your name on the list" list so we shouldn't be too
far away from dinner. There were probably 15 people standing in front
of us but we were assured that a large group was about to leave and
tables would be available shortly.

I think we waited for maybe another 20-30 minutes or so and along the
way, the restaurant hostess discovered that we were a party of five, not
the four she had written down, and that might present a problem. (We
considered slapping around our party planner but decided that since he's
so gracious about hauling Rob and me around for food we'd otherwise not
find, we didn't want to get on his bad side.) Fortunately, it was a
very minor delay. I noticed about halfway through our meal that there
were at least three small tables available.

We shared the bruschetta appetizer - 8 smallish pieces of toasted bread
with chopped tomato and seasonings, a bit of parm atop. Tasty. My
husband was searching the menu in pursuit of something with Italian
sausage in it. None to be seen, then our server announced the
evening's special: sausage, peppers, onions, sauce with mostaccioli.
He liked it. I had the house special, I think -- Chicken Carmelo - a
very large breaded and fried chicken breast topped with crabmeat,
mozzarrella (I think), and a lemon cream sauce. It lay on angel hair
pasta and had some strips (cut like french fries) of veggies in there,
too. The veggies were tasty and not overcooked. The crabmeat sounded
like a good idea but by the time I got to it, it had become part of the
cheese and I couldn't discern its taste. The lemon cream sauce was
light and tasty.

Party Planner had the Tortiglioni al Salmone - smoked salmon atop
fetuccine; June the spinach ravioli; and Matt the Parmesan Chicken.
All were pronounced delicious. We were all impressed by the fact that
the food arrived piping hot at the table. Meals came with salad or
soup, a side of pasta. I liked my caesar salad, though the dressing
was creamier than I remember a caesar being. Tasty nonetheless.

Another thing I thought was cool is that their wine list named the menu
dish that would be a good accompaniment for a particular wine. I still
had the white zinfandel. :-)

There were a number of menu items I would have liked to try and will
have another meal there for sure. Service was friendly and attentive
enough without being overbearing. A good time was had by all.

You should go. :-)
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 5/8/05.
"Are we going to measure, or are we going to cook?" -Food Critic Mimi Sheraton