Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Italian restaurant named incorrectly?

Italian restaurant named incorrectly?

There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called "La
Forno."

They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven. They
also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.

It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.

It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered if
the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I don't want
to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly
dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their advertising.
Probably too late to undo that by now.

Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>
> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called "La
> Forno."
>
> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven. They
> also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>
> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>
> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered if
> the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I don't want
> to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly
> dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their advertising.
> Probably too late to undo that by now.
>
> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>
> Andy

The gender of the article "la" is not in agreement with the masculine
noun. I believe the correct form would be "Il Forno".

Spellings and words seem to mean nothing anymore. Look at silly
industrial names like "hagan das" that don't even have a meaning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>>
>> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called
>> "La Forno."
>>
>> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven.
>> They also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>>
>> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>>
>> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've
>> wondered if the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with
>> it? Only I don't want to ask them and cause them any embarrassment.
>> Maybe the owner was mildly dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La
>> Forno" in all their advertising. Probably too late to undo that by now.
>>
>> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>>
>> Andy

> The gender of the article "la" is not in agreement with the masculine
> noun. I believe the correct form would be "Il Forno".
>
> Spellings and words seem to mean nothing anymore. Look at silly
> industrial names like "hagan das" that don't even have a meaning.

What? I thought Hagan Das meant "expensive ice cream" in Lower Slobbovian.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>>
>> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called
>> "La Forno."
>>
>> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven.
>> They also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>>
>> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>>
>> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered
>> if the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I
>> don't want to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the
>> owner was mildly dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all
>> their advertising. Probably too late to undo that by now.
>>
>> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>>
>> Andy

> The gender of the article "la" is not in agreement with the masculine
> noun. I believe the correct form would be "Il Forno".
>
> Spellings and words seem to mean nothing anymore. Look at silly
> industrial names like "hagan das" that don't even have a meaning.

George,

Right, I heard that mentioned on some food program. With the umlaut and
strange spelling and pronunciation, it looked and sounded imported but
began life in New York. Further examining their website, Consumer relation
are in Oakland. Stranger still, the Media coverage is at the same address
under "Dreyer's Grand Ice Cream, Inc.," which in some way related to
Bryer's ice cream.

So yeah, what's in a name anymore?!

Best,

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote on Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:06:47 -0500:

> George wrote:
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>>>
>>> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me.
>>> It's called "La Forno."
>>>
>>> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious
>>> brick oven. They also do great Philly cheesesteaks and
>>> everything pasta.
>>>
>>> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name.
>>> I've wondered if the sign maker goofed and the restaurant
>>> just went with it? Only I don't want to ask them and cause
>>> them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly dyslexic and
>>> never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their
>>> advertising. Probably too late to undo that by now.
>>>
>>> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> The gender of the article "la" is not in agreement with the
>> masculine noun. I believe the correct form would be "Il
>> Forno".
>>
>> Spellings and words seem to mean nothing anymore. Look at
>> silly industrial names like "hagan das" that don't even have a
>> meaning.

>What? I thought Hagan Das meant "expensive ice cream" in Lower
>Slobbovian.

Well, I live and learn! I thought the words were Elbonian.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>
> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called "La
> Forno."
>
> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven. They
> also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>
> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>
> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered if
> the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I don't
> want
> to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly
> dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their advertising.
> Probably too late to undo that by now.
>
> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>
> Andy

Its not correct Italian but there are hundreds using that name.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

>Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>
>Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?

Doesn't that mean "Mangia here, get Fornocated!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom wrote on Sun, 4 Oct 2009 11:26:52 -0400:

> "Andy" > wrote in message
>> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>>
>> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me.
>> It's called "La Forno."
>>
>> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious
>> brick oven. They also do great Philly cheesesteaks and
>> everything pasta.
>>
>> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>>
>> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name.
>> I've wondered if the sign maker goofed and the restaurant
>> just went with it? Only I don't want to ask them and cause
>> them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly dyslexic
>> and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their
>> advertising. Probably too late to undo that by now.
>>
>> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>>
>> Andy

> Its not correct Italian but there are hundreds using that
> name.

Wouldn't "al forno" mean "at" the oven? Sounds like a perfectly good
place for the chef.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 9:39*am, Andy > wrote:
> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>
> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called "La
> Forno."
>
> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven. They
> also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>
> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>
> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered if
> the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I don't want
> to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly
> dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their advertising.
> Probably too late to undo that by now.
>
> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>
> Andy

Yeah, I believe it's il Forno. I think there is or used to be one in
Miami Beach.

Ay, just put an accent at the end of any word and it's French.
Developers are famous for doing this when they hang names on their new
streets.

I once knew a beautician who was going to open a shop to be called La
Sleur Rouge. Hated to but had to correct her.

Then there was the guy who wanted a British tone, but called it Ye
Olde Something Shoppee. Could NOT get him to drop that final e. He
insisted that a printer pal of mine put that on all his stationery.
She complied, to her chagrin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 12:27*pm, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Andy wrote:
>
> >Italian restaurant named incorrectly?

> >Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?

> Doesn't that mean "Mangia here, get Fornocated!"

Well, that got a good sized guffaw. : )) One of your better quips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Spellings and words seem to mean nothing anymore. Look at silly
> industrial names like "hagan das" that don't even have a meaning.

You're right. They don't seem to mean much. At least to some people.
A few seconds on Google reveals that it is Häagen-Dazs, with an umlaut
over the first "a".

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Tom wrote on Sun, 4 Oct 2009 11:26:52 -0400:
>

> > "Andy" > wrote in message
> >> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
> >>
> >> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me.
> >> It's called "La Forno."
> >>
> >> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious
> >> brick oven. They also do great Philly cheesesteaks and
> >> everything pasta.
> >>
> >> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
> >>
> >> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name.
> >> I've wondered if the sign maker goofed and the restaurant
> >> just went with it? Only I don't want to ask them and cause
> >> them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly dyslexic
> >> and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their
> >> advertising. Probably too late to undo that by now.
> >>
> >> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Its not correct Italian but there are hundreds using that
> > name.

> Wouldn't "al forno" mean "at" the oven? Sounds like a perfectly good
> place for the chef.

Let's face it, people are free to name their children, pets, and
businesses however they want regardless of grammatical considerations. I
don't speak Italian, but in English, one can find retailers who have
mangled the english language in naming their businesses, such as Toys R
Us and people who give their children uncommon spellings for common
names such as Caryn, Kris, Jon, Marc, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> In article >,
>
> Let's face it, people are free to name their children, pets, and
> businesses however they want regardless of grammatical considerations. I
> don't speak Italian, but in English, one can find retailers who have
> mangled the english language in naming their businesses, such as Toys R
> Us and people who give their children uncommon spellings for common
> names such as Caryn, Kris, Jon, Marc, etc.

Oh lord, yes. Please express your "creativity" some other way than by
inflicting a bizarrely spelled variation of a common name on your offspring.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", but a Cerrahh instead
of a Sara is a frackin' pain in the ass to the child and anybody else
documenting anything to do with her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kathleen" > wrote in message
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>>
>> Let's face it, people are free to name their children, pets, and
>> businesses however they want regardless of grammatical considerations. I
>> don't speak Italian, but in English, one can find retailers who have
>> mangled the english language in naming their businesses, such as Toys R
>> Us and people who give their children uncommon spellings for common names
>> such as Caryn, Kris, Jon, Marc, etc.

> Oh lord, yes. Please express your "creativity" some other way than by
> inflicting a bizarrely spelled variation of a common name on your
> offspring.
>
> "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", but a Cerrahh instead of
> a Sara is a frackin' pain in the ass to the child and anybody else
> documenting anything to do with her.

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 1:08*pm, Kathleen > wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
> > In article >,

> > Let's face it, people are free to name their children, pets, and
> > businesses however they want regardless of grammatical considerations. I
> > don't speak Italian, but in English, one can find retailers who have
> > mangled the english language in naming their businesses, such as Toys R
> > Us and people who give their children uncommon spellings for common
> > names such as Caryn, Kris, Jon, Marc, etc.

> Oh lord, yes. *Please express your "creativity" some other way than by
> inflicting a bizarrely spelled variation of a common name on your offspring.
>
> "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", but a Cerrahh instead
> of a Sara is a frackin' pain in the ass to the child and anybody else
> documenting anything to do with her.

Amen to that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > wrote:

> >>Amen to that!

> > Except that, what is an uncommon spelling for someone of a certain
> > ethnic heritage, is an old family name, passed down for generations, in
> > another family.
> >

> Specifically?

Taken from the first paragraph above, Marc, the French spelling of Mark,
and both are pronounced the same. Jon is often short for Jonah or
Jonathan, and is Icelandic, Scandinavian, Basque and English. Kris is
English and Danish.

I got the above from:

http://www.behindthename.com/name/

It says that Cerrahh (and Cerrah) are errors.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:39:52 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>
>There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called "La
>Forno."
>
>They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven. They
>also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>
>It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>
>It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered if
>the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I don't want
>to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly
>dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their advertising.
>Probably too late to undo that by now.
>
>Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>
>Andy

If you plug it into an online translator:

http://translation2.paralink.com/

it comes back: "The Oven".

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 13:08:51 -0500, Kathleen
> wrote:

>Oh lord, yes. Please express your "creativity" some other way than by
>inflicting a bizarrely spelled variation of a common name on your offspring.
>
>"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", but a Cerrahh instead
>of a Sara is a frackin' pain in the ass to the child and anybody else
>documenting anything to do with her.

Reminds me of the Katz family, who named their daughter Kitty.

Barry in Indy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ron wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:39:52 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>
>> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>>
>> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called "La
>> Forno."
>>
>> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven. They
>> also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>>
>> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>>
>> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered if
>> the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I don't want
>> to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly
>> dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their advertising.
>> Probably too late to undo that by now.
>>
>> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>>
>> Andy

> If you plug it into an online translator:
>
> http://translation2.paralink.com/
>
> it comes back: "The Oven".
>
> Ron Kelley

Online translators do a poor job at best. I'll bet the correct version
"Il Forno" will also come back as "the oven".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> Kathleen > wrote:
>

>>Dan Abel wrote:
>>

>>>In article
>,

>>>Except that, what is an uncommon spelling for someone of a certain
>>>ethnic heritage, is an old family name, passed down for generations, in
>>>another family.
>>>

>>Specifically?

> Taken from the first paragraph above, Marc, the French spelling of Mark,
> and both are pronounced the same. Jon is often short for Jonah or
> Jonathan, and is Icelandic, Scandinavian, Basque and English. Kris is
> English and Danish.

And I don't consider any of those to be bizarre variations.

I've given up even attempting some of the odder variations when calling
role in a new class. "Miss Smith, will you pronounce your first name
for me?" "Mary." "Thank you."

Seriously, can't we leave out the handful of extraneous vowels and the
random consonant thrown in for looks?

And then there are the ethnic names that just don't travel well. I had
a handicapped student whose para addressed him as Shoe Bomb. I was
horrified. Until I checked the attendance list and found him there,
sure enough. Shubahm. That's nearly as bad as the apocryphal
"Shithead" (supposedly pronounced shi-THEED).

Don't even get me started on the wholly concocted names.

Obviously it's your right to give your child any name that strikes your
fancy. But have a little faith and know that your child will take any
name given and make it his or her own, and that a common or standard
name in no way condemns them to a life of averagiousity.

And besides, there's a good chance that the only thing their given name
will end up as is a PITA for filling out forms, and IRL, a Nathan
becomes "Gingey", a John becomes "Chunk", a Shauniquewa becomes a
"Betty", a Julian becomes "Jude", a Lauren becomes "that frackin' bitch".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen > wrote:

> Dan Abel wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Kathleen > wrote:

> >>Specifically?

> > Taken from the first paragraph above, Marc, the French spelling of Mark,
> > and both are pronounced the same. Jon is often short for Jonah or
> > Jonathan, and is Icelandic, Scandinavian, Basque and English. Kris is
> > English and Danish.

> And I don't consider any of those to be bizarre variations.

I don't either, and that's why I made my comment. I quote from Stan,
"people who give their children uncommon spellings for common names such
as Caryn, Kris, Jon, Marc, etc", and I quote from you, "Oh lord, yes".

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 12:58*pm, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> In article >,
> *"James Silverton" > wrote:
>

> > *Tom *wrote *on Sun, 4 Oct 2009 11:26:52 -0400:

> > > Its not correct Italian but there are hundreds using that
> > > name.

> > Wouldn't "al forno" mean "at" the oven? Sounds like a perfectly good
> > place for the chef.

> Let's face it, people are free to name their children, pets, and
> businesses however they want regardless of grammatical considerations. I
> don't speak Italian, but in English, one can find retailers who have
> mangled the english language in naming their businesses, such as Toys R
> Us and people who give their children uncommon spellings for common
> names such as Caryn, Kris, Jon, Marc, etc.

Christine, Kristine, Krystine, Krystyne, Krissteen . . .
Madison, Maddyson, Maddieson . . .
Mackenzie, McKenzie, Makenzi . . .
I've seen 'em all
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 4, 1:08*pm, Kathleen > wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
> > In article >,

> > Let's face it, people are free to name their children, pets, and
> > businesses however they want regardless of grammatical considerations. I
> > don't speak Italian, but in English, one can find retailers who have
> > mangled the english language in naming their businesses, such as Toys R
> > Us and people who give their children uncommon spellings for common
> > names such as Caryn, Kris, Jon, Marc, etc.

> Oh lord, yes. *Please express your "creativity" some other way than by
> inflicting a bizarrely spelled variation of a common name on your offspring.
>
> "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", but a Cerrahh instead
> of a Sara is a frackin' pain in the ass to the child and anybody else
> documenting anything to do with her.

Cerrahh??? noe THAT's a newone onme! Does one pronounce that "kayr-
ack"?
Lynn in Fargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> George wrote:

> What? I thought Hagan Das meant "expensive ice cream" in Lower Slobbovian.

It doesn't mean anything. Basically it's gibberish. My DH went to high
school with the daughters of the family. They were a local ice cream
company in the Bronx called Country Club brand.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> George Shirley wrote:
>> George wrote:

>> What? I thought Hagan Das meant "expensive ice cream" in Lower
>> Slobbovian.

> It doesn't mean anything. Basically it's gibberish. My DH went to high
> school with the daughters of the family. They were a local ice cream
> company in the Bronx called Country Club brand.

Marketing choices are always done for a reason. I think the intent was
to create a snobby euro sounding name to sell their expensive ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen wrote:

> Stan Horwitz wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> >
> > Let's face it, people are free to name their children, pets, and
> > businesses however they want regardless of grammatical considerations. I
> > don't speak Italian, but in English, one can find retailers who have
> > mangled the english language in naming their businesses, such as Toys R
> > Us and people who give their children uncommon spellings for common
> > names such as Caryn, Kris, Jon, Marc, etc.

> Oh lord, yes. Please express your "creativity" some other way than by
> inflicting a bizarrely spelled variation of a common name on your offspring.
>
> "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet", but a Cerrahh instead
> of a Sara is a frackin' pain in the ass to the child and anybody else
> documenting anything to do with her.

But Jon is short for Jonathon, Marc is short for Marcus, and Kris is
short for Krista, Kristin(a), Kristoph etc, which are all perfectly
valid spellings for those names. Caryn is weird, as are all the variants
for Caitlin, which is an otherwise harmless Irish name.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
> > Spellings and words seem to mean nothing anymore. Look at silly
> > industrial names like "hagan das" that don't even have a meaning.

> You're right. They don't seem to mean much. At least to some people.
> A few seconds on Google reveals that it is Häagen-Dazs, with an umlaut
> over the first "a".

Found it most amusing when a Brazilian colleague of mine (in London)
stated that she didn't particularly care for American ice cream, while
avidly downing a Haagen-Dazs. She thought it was Scandinavian LOL.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Andy wrote:

> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>
> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called "La
> Forno."
>
> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven. They
> also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>
> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>
> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered if
> the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I don't want
> to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly
> dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their advertising.
> Probably too late to undo that by now.
>
> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>
> Andy

Languages alway evolve.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky said...

> Languages alway evolve.
>
> Sky

Sky,

In more words than one. <G>

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 08:23:45 -0400, George >
wrote:

>Ron wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 08:39:52 -0500, Andy > wrote:
>>
>>> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>>>
>>> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called "La
>>> Forno."
>>>
>>> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven. They
>>> also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>>>
>>> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've wondered if
>>> the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with it? Only I don't want
>>> to ask them and cause them any embarrassment. Maybe the owner was mildly
>>> dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La Forno" in all their advertising.
>>> Probably too late to undo that by now.
>>>
>>> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?
>>>
>>> Andy

>> If you plug it into an online translator:
>>
>> http://translation2.paralink.com/
>>
>> it comes back: "The Oven".
>>
>> Ron Kelley

>Online translators do a poor job at best. I'll bet the correct version
>"Il Forno" will also come back as "the oven".

I agree, but it's all I got. I don't speak Italian and don't know any
one who does that I could ask.

By the way... the translator above doesn't recognize "Il Forno". The
translation comes back; "Il Forno". That doesn't speak well for the
translator. :-(

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> Italian restaurant named incorrectly?
>
> There's an Italian restaurant a few minutes away from me. It's called
> "La Forno."
>
> They probably serve the best pizza in town in a spacious brick oven.
> They also do great Philly cheesesteaks and everything pasta.
>
> It's just the name that has been bugged me since we arrived.
>
> It seems to me that "al Forno" would be the correct name. I've
> wondered if the sign maker goofed and the restaurant just went with
> it? Only I don't want to ask them and cause them any embarrassment.
> Maybe the owner was mildly dyslexic and never noticed. But it's "La
> Forno" in all their advertising. Probably too late to undo that by
> now.
>
> Does "La Forno" raise any eyebrows here at rfc?

Yes, that's a typo showing that those guys are not italian or have been too
long out of Italy.
"La forno" is wrong because
- or it uses the female article "la" instead of the male article "il", which
is the right one for the male word "forno" (oven), so it should have been
"Il forno"
- or it tried to mean "oven baked" but mispelled "al" in "la", so it should
have been "al forno"

Keep far from there
--
Vilco