Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes
Tim

Default Sourdough Starter

This is one form of starter.

Tim

Sourdough Starter

1 pkg. active dry yeast

1 quart lukewarm water

2 tablespoons sugar

4 cups sifted flour

In a large crock (at least 3 quarts), soften yeast in lukewarm water.

Not over 109 degrees because it will kill the yeast. Add sugar and

flour; beat to mix. Cover and let rise until light, at least 24

hours. Starter may be used at this time or store in refrigerator for

7 to 10 days. It may be kept indefinitely, if small amounts of fresh

water and flour are added from time to time as it is used.

Posted to alt.food.recipes
Tim

there are many websites with recipes and tips on feeding starter etc. You
can run into some zealots, but sourdough baking can be a lot of fun and the
taste is unique. Feel free to get a hold of me. Herman is also a form of
sourdough, with doughnuts and many others available.

Tim