Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Tim

Default SMOTHERED CHICKEN

SMOTHERED CHICKEN

Wash and pat dry one cutup chicken (I use 2 whole bone-in chicken

breasts split) I remove the skin. Flour Brown pieces in 6 tbs. (3/4

stick) butter or margarine (I use 1/2 butter 1/2 olive oil) Place

brown pieces in small roasting pan with lid Drain off excess fat and

saute 1 med. chopped onion in drippings until soft Stir in 1 1/2 cups

fat free chicken broth. Heat, stirring constantly to boiling. Pour

over chicken. Cover. (I add some cut up carrots around the chicken

and refrigerate at this point.) Bake in oven 350 degrees for 1 hr (if

room temperature) or 1 1/2 hours if cold. Check occasionally to see

if liquid has diminished and add chicken broth as needed. Blend 1/3

cup flour and 1 cup water until smooth. Add to liquid in pan (after

removing chicken and carrots) Stir in flour mixture. Cook stirring

constantly until gravy thickens and boils one minute. Makes the most

wonderful gravy