Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Joyce Deeks

Default Potted Shrimp

Does anyone have a recipe for "potted shrimp".
I had one a long time ago in an english cookbook but have lost it.

Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 04 Jul 2005 08:34:39a, Joyce Deeks wrote in alt.food.recipes:

> Does anyone have a recipe for "potted shrimp".
> I had one a long time ago in an english cookbook but have lost it.

The most traditional or classic potted shrimp recipe often contains only

1 lb Shelled shrimps
1 ts Mace
8 oz Butter
1/4 ts cayenne pepper

Chop half the shrimps finely then mix with the remaining whole shrimps and
stir in the mace. Melt 6 oz. butter in a saucepan, add the shrimps,
stirring until they have adsorbed a:ll the butter. Stir in the cayenne
pepper. Turn the mixture into ramekins, pressing down well. Melt the
remaining 2 oz. butter and pour over the shrimp mixture to seal. Allow to
cool and place in the refrigerator for several hours or preferably
overnight. Serve with hot toast, cut into fingers.

Other additions might include garlic, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce,
paprika, chopped parsley, or mixed herbs, and salt and pepper to taste

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-0, 07/04/2005
Tested on: 7/4/2005 3:58:53 PM