Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Posted to alt.food.recipes
CB CB is offline

Default 36" BBQ Grillware Gas Smoker - What should the constant temp be in the cooker?

I have a remote thermometer for the turkey meat, the probe is deep within
the breast (not touching the bone), should the heat in the cooker be at 350
the whole time or just so long at the end the meat's 180 degrees?

Posted to alt.food.recipes
CB CB is offline

"CB" > wrote in message
g.com...
>I have a remote thermometer for the turkey meat, the probe is deep within
>the breast (not touching the bone), should the heat in the cooker be at 350
>the whole time or just so long at the end the meat's 180 degrees?

The reason I axe is...the three turkeys I have wrapped in aluminum foil are
touching the sides of the smoker. In past years I've found burned flesh
where the birds have touched the metal. I was hoping to keep the heat down
around 225 until the meat reaches 180*. Sound good?

Posted to alt.food.recipes

Default 36" BBQ Grillware Gas Smoker - What should the constant temp be...

Nope. Doesn't sound good atall, atall. You are trying to cook too many
birds at one time in too little space... or they are too durn big. If
the bird touches the metal, it Will burn, where in contact. That's what
happens. (A physicist could explain) The cooking temperature should be
reletively constant... after a high-heat short period that will
allegedly (and seems to) seal in the juices.

The longer the bird is in the heat, the greater the chance for dry
meat.... unless you have really sealed the aluminum foil wrap. However
if wrapping, and thus getting a variation of a braised bird, why in heck
aren't you just using a regular oven? Stick with 350° and get the
birds done. Consider doing one or two at a time and refrigerate and
reheat the birds cooked a day or two ahead.

I used my Weber (27"?), with indirect heat (26 real briquette size coals
on each side, replaced as needed, drip pan in center) and got marvelous
Small (10-12 lb), unstuffed turkeys... for years. Never pushed it to
try two at a time. Now I give someone else that job. I ain't charmed
by gas grills.... just a quirk...

Posted to alt.food.recipes
CB CB is offline

"Jo Wolf" > wrote in message
[...]

The birds turned out moist and great! They were in for 12 house when the
remote thermometer finally reached 180*

I stuffed them with apples and onion.

The great thing about smoking with gas is the end result isn't over powered
by smoke.