Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Well, if there was such a thing as "High-Temp Barbecue", I might be worried....(News story)

Came across this article this morning...

* * * * * * * *

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060403/hl_nm/cancer_bbq_dc

Barbecue meats linked with prostate cancer Mon Apr 3, 12:53 AM ET

A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in
barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats,
researchers reported on Sunday.

Their study, presented at a meeting of the American Association for
Cancer Research, may help explain the link between eating meat and a
higher risk of prostate cancer.

It also fits in with other studies suggesting that cooking meat until
it chars might cause cancer.

The compound, called PhIP, is formed when meat is cooked at very high
temperatures, Dr. Angelo De Marzo and colleagues at Johns Hopkins
University in Baltimore reported.

It appears to both initiate and promote the growth of prostate cancer
in rats, they said.

"We stumbled across a new potential interaction between ingestion of
cooked meat in the diet and cancer in the rat," De Marzo said in a
statement.

"For humans, the biggest problem is that it's extremely difficult to
tell how much PhIP you've ingested, since different amounts are formed
depending on cooking conditions."

For the study, Yatsutomo Nakai and other members of De Marzo's team
mixed PhIP into food given to rats for up to eight weeks, then studied
the animals' prostates, intestines and spleens. They found genetic
mutations in all the organs after four weeks.

* * * * * * * *

So, shall we flood Reuters with emails correcting them on the meaning
of Barbecue......?

;-)

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chef Juke wrote:

> So, shall we flood Reuters with emails correcting them on the meaning
> of Barbecue......?

Nah, this will be natural selection at its best. Pretty soon, all those who
grill and call it bbq will die of cancer, leaving those who know what bbq is
alive and well. :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Came across this article this morning...
>
> * * * * * * * *
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060403/hl_nm/cancer_bbq_dc
>
> Barbecue meats linked with prostate cancer Mon Apr 3, 12:53 AM ET
>

> A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in
> barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats,
> researchers reported on Sunday.

Don't lab rats get cancer from ordinary air? Seems you just look at them
funny and they're stricken.

Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chef Juke wrote:
> Came across this article this morning...
>
> * * * * * * * *
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060403/hl_nm/cancer_bbq_dc
>
> Barbecue meats linked with prostate cancer Mon Apr 3, 12:53 AM ET
>

> A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in
> barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats,
> researchers reported on Sunday.
>
> Their study, presented at a meeting of the American Association for
> Cancer Research, may help explain the link between eating meat and a
> higher risk of prostate cancer.
>
> It also fits in with other studies suggesting that cooking meat until
> it chars might cause cancer.
>
> The compound, called PhIP, is formed when meat is cooked at very high
> temperatures, Dr. Angelo De Marzo and colleagues at Johns Hopkins
> University in Baltimore reported.
>
> It appears to both initiate and promote the growth of prostate cancer
> in rats, they said.
>
> "We stumbled across a new potential interaction between ingestion of
> cooked meat in the diet and cancer in the rat," De Marzo said in a
> statement.
>
> "For humans, the biggest problem is that it's extremely difficult to
> tell how much PhIP you've ingested, since different amounts are formed
> depending on cooking conditions."
>
> For the study, Yatsutomo Nakai and other members of De Marzo's team
> mixed PhIP into food given to rats for up to eight weeks, then studied
> the animals' prostates, intestines and spleens. They found genetic
> mutations in all the organs after four weeks.
>

> * * * * * * * *
>
> So, shall we flood Reuters with emails correcting them on the meaning
> of Barbecue......?
>
> ;-)
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Chef,

They also found that meats which were marinated didn't have this
problem. So for grillers, there is a solution. Plus drink lots of water
to flush yourself out, no, not, beer people!

--
Regards,

Piedmont

The Practical Bar-B-Q'r at: http://web.infoave.net/~amwil/Index.htm

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism
or the holy name of liberty or democracy?

Mahatma Gandhi, "Non-Violence in Peace and War"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
om...

> Don't lab rats get cancer from ordinary air? Seems you just look at them
> funny and they're stricken.
>
> Jack

I think I read somewhere that cancer is hereditary in lab rats.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Jay Jay is offline

"Larz" > wrote in message

> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
> om...
>
>> Don't lab rats get cancer from ordinary air? Seems you just look at them
>> funny and they're stricken.
>>
>> Jack

> I think I read somewhere that cancer is hereditary in lab rats.

That's why they use them so they can get a positive result. No need to
spend the $$s for a test and get a negative result!

If they could convince me that if I stopped eating cue I would live forever,
I would!

Jay

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Jay wrote:
> "Larz" > wrote in message
>> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>
>>> Don't lab rats get cancer from ordinary air? Seems you just look at them
>>> funny and they're stricken.
>>>
>>> Jack

>> I think I read somewhere that cancer is hereditary in lab rats.
>>

> That's why they use them so they can get a positive result. No need to
> spend the $$s for a test and get a negative result!
>
> If they could convince me that if I stopped eating cue I would live forever,
> I would!

You misspelled cuy.

Matthew

--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 18:50:35 -0400, "Matthew L. Martin"
> wrote:

>Jay wrote:
>> "Larz" > wrote in message
>>> "Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> I think I read somewhere that cancer is hereditary in lab rats.
>>>

>> That's why they use them so they can get a positive result. No need to
>> spend the $$s for a test and get a negative result!
>>
>> If they could convince me that if I stopped eating cue I would live forever,
>> I would!

>You misspelled cuy.

Mmmmm . . . cuyey.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Chef Juke, this article hasn't been indexed in Medline yet. Until it is, and
its published content is available to look at and critically examined by
all, it's hard to evaluate its validity.

"Chef Juke" > wrote in message
> Came across this article this morning...
>
> * * * * * * * *
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060403/hl_nm/cancer_bbq_dc
>
> Barbecue meats linked with prostate cancer Mon Apr 3, 12:53 AM ET
>

> A compound formed when meat is charred at high temperatures -- as in
> barbecue -- encourages the growth of prostate cancer in rats,
> researchers reported on Sunday.
>
> Their study, presented at a meeting of the American Association for
> Cancer Research, may help explain the link between eating meat and a
> higher risk of prostate cancer.
>
> It also fits in with other studies suggesting that cooking meat until
> it chars might cause cancer.
>
> The compound, called PhIP, is formed when meat is cooked at very high
> temperatures, Dr. Angelo De Marzo and colleagues at Johns Hopkins
> University in Baltimore reported.
>
> It appears to both initiate and promote the growth of prostate cancer
> in rats, they said.
>
> "We stumbled across a new potential interaction between ingestion of
> cooked meat in the diet and cancer in the rat," De Marzo said in a
> statement.
>
> "For humans, the biggest problem is that it's extremely difficult to
> tell how much PhIP you've ingested, since different amounts are formed
> depending on cooking conditions."
>
> For the study, Yatsutomo Nakai and other members of De Marzo's team
> mixed PhIP into food given to rats for up to eight weeks, then studied
> the animals' prostates, intestines and spleens. They found genetic
> mutations in all the organs after four weeks.
>

> * * * * * * * *
>
> So, shall we flood Reuters with emails correcting them on the meaning
> of Barbecue......?
>
> ;-)
>

> -Chef Juke
> "EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

In alt.food.barbecue, Dave Bugg > wrote:
> Chef Juke wrote:

> > So, shall we flood Reuters with emails correcting them on the meaning
> > of Barbecue......?

> Nah, this will be natural selection at its best. Pretty soon, all those who
> grill and call it bbq will die of cancer, leaving those who know what bbq is
> alive and well. :-)

Only those who burn the meat on their grill will have a problem. Those
who get a nice golden/reddish brown will have no problems.

--
A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.
--Edward R. Murrow

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:09:23 -0700, "Plonk" > wrote:

>They'd probably respond and correct your capitalization of the term.

<snip the entire text of Chef's article, all 57 lines>

At this point, the few people who haven't plonked you are most likely
wondering (a) who the hell "they" might be, (b) what "they" might be
responding to, and (c) what term you are referring to.

Mostly, though, they're wondering why you go out of your way to make
understanding your posts as difficult as possible. Why not go whole
hog and post in Esperanto?
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:09:23 -0700, "Plonk" > wrote:
>
> >They'd probably respond and correct your capitalization of the term.

> <snip the entire text of Chef's article, all 57 lines>
>
> At this point, the few people who haven't plonked you are most likely
> wondering (a) who the hell "they" might be, (b) what "they" might be
> responding to, and (c) what term you are referring to.
>
> Mostly, though, they're wondering why you go out of your way to make
> understanding your posts as difficult as possible. Why not go whole
> hog and post in Esperanto?

Now that's funny and I don't care who you are.
Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ah, another lesson in top versus bottom posting. . .

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:09:23 -0700, "Plonk" > wrote:
>>
>> >They'd probably respond and correct your capitalization of the term.

>> <snip the entire text of Chef's article, all 57 lines>
>>
>> At this point, the few people who haven't plonked you are most likely
>> wondering (a) who the hell "they" might be, (b) what "they" might be
>> responding to, and (c) what term you are referring to.
>>
>> Mostly, though, they're wondering why you go out of your way to make
>> understanding your posts as difficult as possible. Why not go whole
>> hog and post in Esperanto?

> Now that's funny and I don't care who you are.
> Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> "Kevin S. Wilson" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 08:09:23 -0700, "Plonk" > wrote:
>>
>> >They'd probably respond and correct your capitalization of the term.

>> <snip the entire text of Chef's article, all 57 lines>
>>
>> At this point, the few people who haven't plonked you are most likely
>> wondering (a) who the hell "they" might be, (b) what "they" might be
>> responding to, and (c) what term you are referring to.
>>
>> Mostly, though, they're wondering why you go out of your way to make
>> understanding your posts as difficult as possible. Why not go whole
>> hog and post in Esperanto?

> Now that's funny and I don't care who you are.
> Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'll top plonk ya'

Graeme

"Plonk" > wrote in message
> Ah, another lesson in top versus bottom posting. . .
>

> "Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

> >> <snip the entire text of Chef's article, all 57 lines>
> >>
> >> At this point, the few people who haven't plonked you are most likely
> >> wondering (a) who the hell "they" might be, (b) what "they" might be
> >> responding to, and (c) what term you are referring to.
> >>
> >> Mostly, though, they're wondering why you go out of your way to make
> >> understanding your posts as difficult as possible. Why not go whole
> >> hog and post in Esperanto?

> > Now that's funny and I don't care who you are.
> > Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

The only filter that's gonna work for you will be *.*

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
> I'll top plonk ya'
>
> Graeme
>

> "Plonk" > wrote in message
>> Ah, another lesson in top versus bottom posting. . .
>>

>> "Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

>> > Now that's funny and I don't care who you are.
>> > Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

The only filter that's gonna work for you will be *.*

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message
> I'll top plonk ya'
>
> Graeme
>

> "Plonk" > wrote in message
>> Ah, another lesson in top versus bottom posting. . .
>>

>> "Jack Sloan" > wrote in message

>> > Now that's funny and I don't care who you are.
>> > Jack

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

[...]

They also recently concluded that capsaicin causes prostate cancer
cells to self terminate. Keep your sauce hot, baby!