Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Frank Takacs

Default Roti Canai

Does anyone have a recipe for Roti Canai? I had this at a Malaysian
Restaurant and nearly melted under the table!
Help?
Frank

Danny

Title: Roti Canai
Categories: Breads, Indian, Dkuhnen msn
Yield: 12 roti

2 lb Plain flour
2 Eggs, beaten
1 t Salt
2 1/2 T Sugar
3 1/2 oz Buttter or ghee, melted
2 c Water
2 T Condensed milk
1/2 c Ghee or oil for frying

Sift flour into a mixing bowl, add eggs, salt, sugar and melted
butter. combine water with the condensed milk and add to the mixture.
Mix well to make a soft dough. Roll dough into a ball and cover with
a damp cloth. Leave to rest in a warm place for 30 minutes. Divide
dough into 12 small balls. Coat in ghee or oil, cover and leave to
rest for a minimum of 20 minutes or up to 4 hours. Heat an iron
griddle or heavy pan and coat with oil. Flatten dough balls and
stretch out as far as possible. Fold edges inward, continue until
you have a round shape 6-inches in diameter. This is required to
give the bread a layered texture. Fry the roti individually until
crisp and golden, adding more ghee or oil as necessary. Helpful hint:
Most home cooks use the bottom of a very large cooking pan and with
oiled hands, slowly stretch and push the dough out.

Sadha Roti lilchuff11 Vegan 0 19-12-2011 09:48 AM
Goat Roti recipe? Steve Pope General Cooking 4 31-08-2007 04:23 AM
Aluwala Roti International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 25-02-2005 03:18 AM
Goat Roti 2002 jcoulter Wine 73 02-09-2004 10:22 PM