Recipes (alt.food.recipes) An alternative recipe newsgroup. For the posting and sharing of recipes.

Duckie ®

Default Hoppin' John: Serves 8

Hoppin' John: Serves 8

This classic black-eyed pea dish is served throughout the year in the
South, but especially on New Year's Day to bring good luck.

4 slices bacon, diced
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 pound frozen black-eyed peas
4 cups water
1/2 cup diced ham
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 1/2 cups [dry] instant brown rice

In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes,
or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in onion and red bell
pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Add black-eyed peas and water, and bring to a simmer over medium-high
heat, stirring occasionally. Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer for 35
to 40 minutes, or until black-eyed peas are almost tender, stirring
occasionally and adding extra water as needed. Stir in ham, garlic,
thyme, salt, and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes, or until flavors
are blended, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice and simmer for 10
minutes, or until rice is tender (no stirring needed). Serve warm.
Joseph Littleshoes

Duckie ® wrote:

> Hoppin' John: Serves 8
>
> This classic black-eyed pea dish is served throughout the year in the
> South, but especially on New Year's Day to bring good luck.

I leave out the ham and bacon and replace it with a couple of large ham
hocks that i cook with the dried black eyed peas, makes them very
flavourful, though the whole recipe can be done vegetarian as the black
eyed peas have such a nice flavour on their own. I was a bit surprised
to see no molasses or bbq sauce included in your hoppin john.

I was introduced to this through the Moosewood cook book and they
recommend serving the rather thick soup over rice and garnishing with
shredded cheddar cheese & chopped green onions.

> 4 slices bacon, diced
> 1 onion, diced
> 1 red bell pepper, diced
> 1 pound frozen black-eyed peas
> 4 cups water
> 1/2 cup diced ham
> 2 cloves garlic, minced
> 1 teaspoon thyme
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> 1 1/2 cups [dry] instant brown rice
>
> In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes,
> or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in onion and red bell
> pepper and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
> Add black-eyed peas and water, and bring to a simmer over medium-high
> heat, stirring occasionally. Cover pan, reduce heat, and simmer for 35
>
> to 40 minutes, or until black-eyed peas are almost tender, stirring
> occasionally and adding extra water as needed. Stir in ham, garlic,
> thyme, salt, and pepper and simmer for 15 minutes, or until flavors
> are blended, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice and simmer for 10
> minutes, or until rice is tender (no stirring needed). Serve warm.

Hoppin' John MaryMc Recipes (moderated) 0 17-08-2006 04:45 AM
Hoppin' John Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 16-08-2006 04:47 AM
Hoppin' John Duckie ® Recipes 0 03-01-2006 11:53 AM