Joseph Littleshoes

Default Hoppin' John: Serves 8

Duckie ® wrote:

> Hoppin' John: Serves 8
>
> This classic black-eyed pea dish is served throughout the year in the
> South, but especially on New Year's Day to bring good luck.

I leave out the ham and bacon and replace it with a couple of large ham
hocks that i cook with the dried black eyed peas, makes them very
flavourful, though the whole recipe can be done vegetarian as the black
eyed peas have such a nice flavour on their own. I was a bit surprised
to see no molasses or bbq sauce included in your hoppin john.

I was introduced to this through the Moosewood cook book and they
recommend serving the rather thick soup over rice and garnishing with
shredded cheddar cheese & chopped green onions.