Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Turtle brownies recipe, where's the brownie?

My son isn't a big cake eater but he loves brownies. I want to make
him Turtle Brownies for his birthday, but all the recipes I find use
cake mix. Will this recipe come out like brownies because of the
other ingredients or something? I had a recipe I used to make years
ago but can't remember it anymore. I think it had sweetened condensed
milk, caramels, and pecans tht you just poured on top of the brownies.
Now I am wondering if I used cake also. Any input would be
appreciated! Thank you!

Chey

Posted to rec.food.baking

cheyjohn wrote:
> My son isn't a big cake eater but he loves brownies. I want to make
> him Turtle Brownies for his birthday, but all the recipes I find use
> cake mix. Will this recipe come out like brownies because of the
> other ingredients or something? I had a recipe I used to make years
> ago but can't remember it anymore. I think it had sweetened condensed
> milk, caramels, and pecans tht you just poured on top of the brownies.
> Now I am wondering if I used cake also. Any input would be
> appreciated! Thank you!

Condensed milk. My goodness what a 50-year flashback that produced -
memories of "connie onnie butties". It put's weight on just thinking
about them!
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bruce Fletcher wrote:

> Condensed milk. My goodness what a 50-year flashback that produced -
> memories of "connie onnie butties". It put's weight on just thinking
> about them!

Oops! Terribly sorry about the intrusive apostrophe. That's what comes
of late-night posting.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
<www.stronsay.co.uk/claremont>
Posted to rec.food.baking

On 2 Mar 2007 15:37:19 -0800, "cheyjohn" >
wrote:

>My son isn't a big cake eater but he loves brownies. I want to make
>him Turtle Brownies for his birthday, but all the recipes I find use
>cake mix.

Guess you might not be looking in the right area. These took about
40 seconds to find. Not a single cake mix recipe among the choosing.

http://www.recipezaar.com/3070

http://www.recipezaar.com/152474

http://www.recipezaar.com/156886

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Posted to rec.food.baking

"cheyjohn" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My son isn't a big cake eater but he loves brownies. I want to make
> him Turtle Brownies for his birthday, but all the recipes I find use
> cake mix. Will this recipe come out like brownies because of the
> other ingredients or something? I had a recipe I used to make years
> ago but can't remember it anymore. I think it had sweetened condensed
> milk, caramels, and pecans tht you just poured on top of the brownies.
> Now I am wondering if I used cake also. Any input would be
> appreciated! Thank you!
>
> Chey

Here are 10 recipes for bars with turtle in the name:

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Baker's Turtle Brownies

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 10
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
4 Squares baker's
Unsweetened
chocolate
3/4 cup Butter or margarine
2 cups Sugar
4 Eggs
1 cup Flour
1 pk Caramels ; 14oz unwrapped
1/3 cup Heavy cream
2 cups Pecans or walnut halves
Divided
1 pk Baker's real semi-sweet
Chocolate
12 ozoptional
24 Fudge brownies.

-= Instructions =-
HEAT oven to 350. Grease foil-lined 13x9 baking pan. MICROWAVE
chocolate squares and butter in microwavable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or
until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
STIR sugar into chocolate until well blended. Mix in eggs. Stir in flour.
Spread 1/2 of batter in prepared pan. BAKE 25 minutes, or until batter
is firm to the touch. MEANWHILE, microwave caramels and cream in
microwavable bowl on HIGH 3 minutes or until caramels begin to melt.
Whisk until smooth. Stir in 1 up of nuts. Gently spread caramel mixture
over brownie batter in pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if desired.
Pour remaining unbaked brownie batter evenly over caramel mixture;
sprinkle with remaining nuts. (Some caramel mixture may peek through.)
BAKE additional 30 minutes. Cool in pan. Run knife around edge of pan to
loosen brownies from sides. Lift from pan using foil as handles. Cut into
Prep: 20 minutes GMT RECIPES http://www.wfaa.com/gmt/recipe.html
MC formatted using NTS & MC Buster on 01/21/99 ~*-*-*-MM by Helen
Peagram-*-*-*- by "Barb @ PK" > on Jan 22, 1999, converted
by MM_Buster v2.0m.Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 376 Calories;
19g Fat (43.8% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 50g Carbohydrate; trace
Dietary Fiber; 123mg Cholesterol; 166mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2
Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 3 1/2 Fat; 2 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chocolate Caramel Turtle Brownies

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 24
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: BARS

-= Ingredients =-
1/4 cup Butter
2 ounces Chocolate ; unsweetened
2 Eggs
1 cup Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup Pecan halves
1 Caramel syrup recipe
3/4 cup Chocolate chips CARAMEL
SYRUP
1/2 cup Butter
1/3 cup Brown sugar

-= Instructions =-
Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter an 8-inch square pan. In a small saucepan,
melt butter and unsweetened chocolate together over low heat, set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, beat eggs with wire whisk, beat until light. Beat
in sugar, salt and vanilla until blended. Stir in chocolate mixture, then
flour. Pour into pan. Bake 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare Caramel Syrup.
Carefully remove pan from oven and sprinkle top evenly with pecans.
Gently top pecans with cooked Caramel Syrup, covering surface completely.
Bake 15 minutes longer, or until caramel is bubbling over entire top of
brownie. Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.
Let chocolate melt slightly, then VERY gently swirl surface with a knife.
Cool completely before cutting. Chill to harden chocolate if necessary.
Serve at room temperature. CARAMEL SYRUP Bring 1/2 cup butter and 1/3
cup lightly packed brown sugar to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring
constantly. Stir and simmer one minute. From: Pat Stockett Date: 10-29-95
Exported from Home Cookin 4.7 (http://www.mountain-software.com)

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chocolate Chip Turtle Bars

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
3/4 cup Butter-flavored shortening
1 1/4 Cup Firmly packed
Brown
2 tablespoon Milk
1 tablespoon Vanilla
1 Egg
1 3/4 Cup Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
3/4 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 cup Miniature chocolate chips
14 ounces Caramel candy
1 tablespoon Water

-= Instructions =-
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13x9" baking pan. Combine shortening,
brown sugar, milk and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat at med. speed of
electric mixer until well blended. Beat egg into creamed mixture. Combine
flour, salt and baking soda. Mix into creamed mixture just until blended.
Stir in miniature chocolate chips. Divide dough into thirds. Press 2/3rds
of dough onto the bottom of prepared pan. Combine caramels and water in
small saucepan. Place on very low heat. Stir constantly until caramels
melt. Spread caramel mixture over dough in pan to within 1/2" of edge.
Drop remaining dough by teaspoons evenly over the caramel layer. Bake at
350 degrees for 25-30 min. or until golden brown. Do Not Overbake. Loosen
from sides of pan with knife. Cool completely on rack. Cut into bars.
Recipe by: Crisco Posted to MC-Recipe Digest V1 #000 by Carol H
> on Sept 20, 1999 MM by Helen PeagramPer Serving
(excluding unknown items): 3295 Calories; 141g Fat (35.6% calories from
fat); 50g Protein; 526g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 281mg Cholesterol;
4673mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 2 Non-Fat Milk; 27 1/2 Fat; 33
Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chocolate Turtle Brownies

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
2 cups 12-ounce package NESTLE'
TOLL
Chocolate
Divided
1/2 cup 1 stick butter or
Margarine
3 Eggs
1/4 cup All-purpose flour
1 cup Granulated sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
1/2 cup Chopped DIAMOND Walnuts
12 Caramels
1 tablespoon Milk

-= Instructions =-
Melt 1 cup morsels and butter in large, heavy saucepan over lowest
possible heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Remove from heat; stir
in eggs. Add flour, granulated sugar, vanilla and baking soda; stir well.
Spread batter into greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan; sprinkle with
remaining morsels and walnuts. Bake in preheated 3500F. oven for 20 to
25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes Out slightly
sticky. Microwave caramels and milk in small, microwave-safe bowl on
HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; stir. Microwave at additional 10- to
20-second intervals, stirring until smooth. Drizzle over warm brownies.
Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 2 dozen
brownies. Source: Nestle best-loved cookies From: Kelly
Date: Wednesday, November 03, 1999 6:09 MM by Helen
PeagramPer Serving (excluding unknown items): 425 Calories; 6g Fat (12.1%
calories from fat); 10g Protein; 83g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 149mg
Cholesterol; 151mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0
Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 3 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Chocolate Turtle Cookie Squares

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
1 3/4 cups Flour
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Butter
3 tablespoons Butter
1/3 cup Cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups Pecan halves
1/2 cup Brown sugar
3/4 cup Semisweet chocolate chips

-= Instructions =-
Heat oven to 350ºF. Combine flour, sugar, 1/2 cup butter and cocoa. Blend
until dough ball forms. Press into ungreased foil-lined 9x13" pan.
Arrange pecans on top. Press down slightly. In small saucepan combine
remaining butter and brown sugar. Cook over medium heat until boiling.
Boil 1 minute stirring constantly. Pour over dough. Bake for 20 minutes
or until toping is bubbly. Remove from oven and sprinkle on chocolate
chips. DO NOT spread. Cool on wire rack. Cut into squares. From:
"minnie" > Exported from Home Cookin 4.8
(http://www.mountain-software.com)

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Easy Turtle Bars

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
-FIRST
2 cups Flour
1 cup Brown sugar
1/2 cup Margarine ; softened
1 cup Walnut pieces
-SECOND
2/3 cup Margarine
1/2 cup Brown sugar
-THIRD
1 cup Chocolate chips

-= Instructions =-
First layer: Mix first three ingredients into 9 x 13 inch greased baking
pan. Sprinkle with the walnuts Second Layer: In a pan over medium heat,
cook the margarine and brown sugar until it boils. Boil for 1 to 1 1/2
minutes. Watch carefully until all sugar dissolves. Carefully pour over
unbaked first layer and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 22
minutes. Remove from oven and spread with the one cup chocolate chips
immediately. Wait for a minute, then spread the chocolate to make
frosting. Cool and cut into bars. Heartstone Cookbook == Typed
but not tested == == Courtesy of Dale & Gail Shipp, Columbia Md. ==Per
Serving (excluding unknown items): 3879 Calories; 190g Fat (42.4% calories
from fat); 37g Protein; 546g Carbohydrate; 20g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol; 1536mg Sodium. Exchanges: 12 1/2 Grain(Starch); 37 1/2 Fat;
23 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Gooey Turtle Bars

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 1
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
2 cups Graham cracker crumbs or
Vanilla
Crumbs
1/2 cup Butter or margarine ; melted
2 cups Semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup Pecan pieces
1 12oz. jar caramel topping
By
Apr
99 ¥
converted

-= Instructions =-
Combine crumbs and butter in an ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan; stir and
press firmly into bottom of pan. Sprinkle with chocolate morsels and
pecans. Remove lid from caramel topping; microwave on HIGH 1 to 1 1/2
minutes or until hot, stirring after 30 seconds. Drizzle over pecans.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until morsels melt; let cool in pan
on a wire rack. Chill at least 30 minutes; cut into bars. YIELD: 2
dozen Recipe by: Southern Living-Our Best Easy Weeknight Favorites
MM by Helen Peagram v2.0m.Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 813
Calories; 92g Fat (99.5% calories from fat); 1g Protein; trace
Carbohydrate; 0g Dietary Fiber; 248mg Cholesterol; 937mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 18 1/2 Fat.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Pecan Turtle Bars

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 48
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Bars

-= Ingredients =-
1 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Packed brown sugar ; divided
1/2 cup Butter ; softened
1 cup Pecan halves
2/3 cup Butter
1 cup Milk chocolate pieces

-= Instructions =-
Combine flour, 1 cup brown sugar and softened butter in large mixer bowl.
Beat at medium speed of electric mixer 2-3 minutes or until mixture
resembles fine crumbs. Pat mixture evenly onto bottom of ungreased 13x9"
baking pan. Sprinkle pecans evenly over crumb mixture. Combine 2/3 cup
butter and remaining 1/2 brown sugar in small saucepan. Cook and stir
over medium heat until entire surface is bubbly. Cook and stir 1/2 to 1
minute more. Pour into pan, spreading evenly over crust. Bake in 350'F.
oven 18-20 minutes or until entire surface is bubbly. Remove from oven;
immediately sprinkle with chocolate pieces. Let stand 2-3 minutes to
sllow chocolate to melt; use knife to swirl chocolate slightly. Cool
completely in pan on wire rack. Use sharp knife to cut into 48 bars.
Makes 48 bars. From: Michael Orchekowski

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Pecan Turtle Cookie Bars

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
Crust
2 cups Flour
1 cup Packed brown sugar
1/2 cup Butter softened
1 cup Pecan halves
Caramel ; layer
11 tablespoons Butter
1/2 cup Brown sugar
Topping:
1 cup Chocolate chips

-= Instructions =-
Combine crust ingredients and mix well. Firmly press into a greased 9 x
13 baking pan. Sprinkle pecans over crust. Prepare caramel layer by
cooking butter and sugar over low heat, stirring constantly until a boil,
boil for 1/2 to 1 minute.Pour caramel over nuts.Bake in a preheated 350F
oven about 18 to 20 minutes or surface bubbles and starts to get golden.
Remove from oven and immediately sprinkle on chocolate chips, swirling
evenly and lightly while melting. Cool completely and cut. .. submitted
by rosskat from USA From: "International Recipes Online" <ldate: July 18,
2002 12:16 Am MM by H Peagram

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Turtle Brownies

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 24
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
4 ounces Unsweetened baking
Chocolate
3/4 cup Butter or margarine
2 cups Sugar
4 Eggs
1 cup Flour
14 ounces Caramels
1/3 cup Heavy cream
2 cups Pecans or walnuts
Divided
12 ounces Semisweet chocolate chips
Optional

-= Instructions =-
Oven to 350 degrees. Grease foil-lined 13x0" baking pan. Microwave
chocolate squares and butter in microwavable bowl on high until butter is
melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir sugar into
chocolate until well blended. Mix in eggs. Stir in flour. Spread 1/2 of
batter in prepared pan. Bake 25 min. or until batter is firm to the
touch. Meanwhile, microwave caramels and cream in microwavable bowl on
high 3 min. or until caramels begin to melt. Whisk until smooth. Stir in
1 cup nuts. Gently spread caramel mixture over brownie batter in pan.
Sprinkle with chocolate chips, if desired. Pour remaining unbaked brownie
batter evenly over caramel mixture; sprinkle with remaining nuts. (Some
caramel mixture may leak through.) Bake 30 min. Cool in pan. run knife
around edge of pan to loosen brownies from sides. Lift from pan using
foil as handles. Cut into bars. Recipe By :Family Circle
Categories : Brownies Cookies From: "Minnie"
: Thursday, May 10, 2001 5:10 Pm MM BY H
PEAGRAM Sept 11, 2001Per Serving (excluding unknown
items): 157 Calories; 8g Fat (43.8% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 21g
Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 69mg Sodium.
Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1 1/2 Fat; 1
Other Carbohydrates.Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Helen
in
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/index.html

Posted to rec.food.baking

Thanks so much for everyones help. I am not sure if these are what I
was referring to (no brownie mix) but I will sure give them a try.
They sound wonderful!

Chey

Tasty Turtle Brownies Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-06-2008 02:56 PM
Killer Turtle Brownies Jame Montrose Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2007 02:53 AM
Killer Turtle Brownies Jame Montrose Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2007 02:12 AM
TURTLE BROWNIES Duckie ® Recipes 2 07-11-2004 03:20 AM
Turtle brownie Derek N.P.F. Juhl General Cooking 21 09-07-2004 11:00 AM