Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Read

Default Salt Potatoes

Request: >From: "Pedestrian" >
>Someone told me about a dish called "salt potatoes" which he said is
>popular in upstate NY. I love to try regional specialties and would like

to know
>if anyone can send me a recipe or directions to find one. I have googled

it
>and came up with a commercial site and some menus from restaurants, but

no
>recipes.

The trick is to google "salt potatoes" rather than "salt potato." I've
made these and didn't actually like them that much, but maybe I need to
use smaller potatoes so they cook quicker and don't take up quite so
much salt. The high salt content in the water pulls water out of the
potato; the result is that when the potato is cooked till quite tender
it has a sort of creamy texture (a potato cooked the ordinary way that
long would just fall apart). I haven't tried cooking them shorter times,
which might be interesting. The skins end up somewhat wrinkled from the
potatoes shrinking a bit. Apparently a Syracuse NY regional dish.

Salt Potatoes

Water (to cover)
Salt (lots)
Small potatoes (I'd suggest 1 to 1.25"), in their skins.

Pour a ton of salt in the water--the idea is that you're saturating the
water with salt, so that some salt remains at the bottom of the pot even
after boiling and stirring. (I found one recipe that says 2 qts water
and 12oz [weight] salt, but most just say lots & lots of salt.) Add the
potatoes and bring to a simmer; cook till done, about 20 min for creamy.

These seem to be served two ways, either hot slathered with great
quantities of butter, or cooled to room temperature and dipped in sour
cream-based dips.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives: