Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Sam Waring

Default Kale (2) Collection

Enchiladas with Swiss Cheese and Kale
Potato Soup with Kale and Bacon

On Mon, 30 Aug, "Kerry J.Renaissance-McAdams" had this to say about that:

> I'd like some ideas/recipes I can make with these vegetables:
> broccoli, spinach, turnip, beets, and kale (they don't all have to be
> in the same recipe).

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Enchiladas With Swiss Cheese & Kale
Categories: Cheese, Mexican
Yield: 4 Servings

4 corn tortillas
1/2 cup finely chopped kale
2 scallions, minced
1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 cup tomato sauce or purée
grated Swiss cheese
minced fresh parsley

Lay out the tortillas. Sprinkle each with one-quarter of the kale,
scallions and cheese. Roll up each tortilla and press in filling with
back of spoon. Pour oil into pre-heated cast iron skillet or into a
non-stick skillet over medium high heat. When oil is hot, place
enchiladas seam side down in skillet. Pour tomato sauce over
enchiladas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about five
minutes, basting frequently. Place enchiladas on a serving platter
and square off sides with a spatula. Sprinkle with cheese and
parsley. Serve hot.

MMMMM

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Potato Soup With Kale & Bacon
Categories: Soups
Yield: 4 servings

2 lb boiling potatoes
3/4 lb bacon
1 bunch kale (about 1 pound)
1 garlic clove
salt and pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1 bunch chives (optional)
5 tsp balsamic vinegar

Peel potatoes and put in a pot with enough cold, salted water to cover.
Cover and bring to a boil. Lower heat, uncover, and simmer until done,
about 25 minutes. Drain, reserving the cooking liquid. Break up potatoes
with a potato masher; they should be lumpy, not smooth. Cook the bacon
until crisp. Drain and chop. Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon
fat, reserving the extra fat. Stem and chop the kale. Mince the garlic.
Cook half the kale and half the garlic in the 2 tablespoons bacon fat over
medium heat until kale is wilted, about 1 minute. Season with salt and
pepper and transfer to a bowl. Repeat with remaining kale and garlic,
using the reserved bacon fat as needed. Return all the kale to the frying
pan and add the heavy cream. Simmer over low heat until the kale is
tender, about 10 minutes. Mince the chives. Recipe can be made to this
point several hours ahead.

Cooking and Serving: Combine potatoes with about 4 cups of the reserved
cooking liquid in a large pot. Add more cooking liquid or water if too
thick. Add kale mixture to the pot and bring to a simmer. Season to taste
with salt and pepper.

Pour into bowls and sprinkle with chives and bacon.

[ The Best of COOKS Magazine ]
per Fred Peters

MMMMM

--
Sam Waring >
Y!M the_curmudgn; AIM TheCurmudgn

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D Hill at .
Archives:

Kale blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 5 17-07-2011 11:32 PM
Kale and a local locoavore's recipe...using kale and garlicscapes ImStillMags General Cooking 1 01-07-2010 04:39 AM
Got my kale! Julie Bove Diabetic 4 23-03-2009 02:55 PM
Kale Anthony General Cooking 25 06-05-2006 08:05 PM
Kale - Recipes - Making a collection - Need Help - Thanks. KaleIsCool Vegetarian cooking 1 18-04-2006 10:40 PM