Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Kevin

Default Easy Home-made Gravy

for Elsie, who was looking for a home-made gravy recipe:

Easy Home-made Gravy

If I roast a chicken or a beef or pork roast (or even pan-saute a
pork tenderloin) and I want some gravy, here's what I do:

Remove the meat from the pan, cover to keep warm, and turn heat on
high.
Deglaze the pan with one cup of wine (red or white, your preference)
and one cup of stock (once again, your preference), scraping with a
wooden spoon to get all the tasty stuff from the bottom.
When you're satisfied that you've recovered all of the caramelization
that you can, take a look at your gravy - is there a lot of fat in it?
(this is often the case with chicken) If so, you may want to separate
and remove some or all of the fat using your preferred method.
In a measuring cup, mix three tablespoons of flour with three
tablespoons of Harvey's Bristol Cream sherry (I use my finger to make
sure I'm rid of the lumps).

While stirring your gravy, slowly pour in the flour mixture to
incorporate. Your gravy will start to thicken.
When thickened, turn the heat down and taste and season accordingly
-- a shot of Worcestershire, a few grinds of pepper, whatever takes
your fancy. AND THE SECRET WEAPON - add a tablespoon of butter and
stir until incorporated. It will add a richness and subtlety of
flavour out of all proportion to it's size.

* Tips *

* The wine and sherry are important flavour components and the alcohol
cooks out. The rule of thumb is never cook with something that you
wouldn't drink.

* You can build this gravy from scratch - you'll be lacking the added
flavour that comes from the pan drippings but it's still very tasty.
I often do this with hot-chicken-sandwich leftovers.

* This recipe is scalable as long as you keep the proportions in line.

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D Hill at .
Archives: