Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Dark Chocolate Florentines

4th Annual EatingWell Holiday Cookie Contest
Readers' Choice Sweepstakes - 2008 - Finalists

Dark Chocolate Florentines

This is a healthier version of a family favorite. As long as I can
remember my family has been adding these to our famous holiday cookie
trays and gift bags. Nothing beats the delicate buttery crunch that gives
way to the rich chocolate filling. I have updated with the addition of
toasted finely ground almonds and apricot jam which I think adds a nice
subtle touch. Enjoy!

Submitted by: A.S., Bloomington, IN
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Yield: about 3 dozen sandwich cookies

To Make Ahead: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up
to 2 days.

1/3 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup canola oil
2 cups quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup low-fat milk or low-fat plain soy milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup toasted almonds or walnuts, finely chopped
4 ounces semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup apricot preserves

Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a large baking sheet with foil or a nonstick
baking mat. Melt butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from the heat. Add
oil, oats, sugar, flour, milk, vanilla, salt and almonds (or walnut) and
mix well. Drop level teaspoons of dough 3 inches apart onto the prepared
baking sheet. Spread each cookie into a thin, 2-inch circle using a rubber
spatula or your fingers. Bake the cookies until set, 5 to 7 minutes. Let
cool completely before removing the cookies from the foil or the mat.
When the cookies are cool, melt chocolate chips in a double boiler over
hot, not boiling, water (or microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring in
between). Spread the melted chocolate on the flat side of half (about 36)
of the cookies. Spread a little jam on the flat side of the other half
(about 36) of the cookies. Press the apricot and chocolate halves together
making them into sandwich cookies.

Nutritional Information: Per serving: 108 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2
g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrate; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 19
mg sodium; 13 mg potassium.

Source:
<http://www.eatingwell.com/community/kitchen_to_kitchen/dark_chocolate_florentines_08.html>

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia D. Hill at .
Archives:

Dark Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream Featuring King's Cupboard Dark Chocolate Chunk Hot Chocolate Cocoa Connoisseur ... Chocolate 0 19-10-2006 05:16 PM
Dark chocolate Anny Middon General Cooking 9 03-08-2006 02:07 AM
Dark chocolate Fred Vegan 5 21-04-2006 04:44 PM
Dark Chocolate - Healthy Chocolate freedom4all Chocolate 4 29-12-2005 04:18 PM
Dark tale of chocolate! Andy General Cooking 35 08-10-2005 09:22 PM