Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

Posted to rec.food.recipes

Default Ice Cream Dough Rugelach

Ice Cream Dough Rugelach

submitted by butterflydog

2 stick cold butter ( not margarine )
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups good quality vanilla ice cream softened
1, 12 oz can of Solo brand cherry or raspberry pastry filling
granulated sugar
finely chopped nuts
cinnamon if desired
powdered sugar

A friend gave me this unique recipe and it had an interesting texture,
mellow taste. and looks very pretty with cherry red filling peeking out
from the powdered sugar. My mom and daughter loved it and some other
family members thought I had made better, I think because it did not
taste like the standard rugelach recipes they were used to ! However ,
you may really enjoy this recipe.

Cut cold butter into flour until coarse crumbs.Stir in softened ice cream
to make a ( sticky ) dough. Form into a ball and score into 4 parts.
Place in a plastic bag and chill several hours or overnight. Cut into 4
portions. On a sugared surface , pat out and then roll out with rolling
pin to a thin circle, sprinkling sugar over/under the dough as you roll.
Dough will be more pliable as you work with it. Spread the dough circle
with 1/4 of the canned pastry filling. Add some sprinkles of nuts and
cinnamon if desired. Cut dough circle into 4 sections and then each
section into 3 or 4 more. Roll up from the wide end to the center to form
a horn shape. Place pastries on well seasoned baking sheet or Silpat
lined baking sheet. Bake middle oven rack, 350F 12 to 15 minutes or
pastries lightly browned on bottom. Carefully remove and place on cooling
rack. When completely cold, roll in powdered sugar. Freezes well. Makes a
few dozen. P.S. don't bother trying them while they are warm. They taste
totally different when cold and taste better with age!

Note: Use canned pastry filling as it will not burn. Do not substitute any
jam, preserves or jelly
for the filling or you will have a mess in your oven.
Yield depends on how many sections you cut.

My experience was that I needed more filling for the entire recipe and so
I used some canned raspberry pastry filling too. Probably other pastry
fillings would be good too ( i.e apricot, poppyseed etc. )

http://www.simpleinternet.com/recipes/
International Recipes OnLine
On-Line Culinary Discussion at Food.Chat:
http://www.simpleinternet.com/foodchat/

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
http://www.cdkitchen.com/rfr/ http://recipes.alastra.com/