Posted to rec.food.preserving
clc clc is offline

Default Fresh Apricots instead of Dried in Jam/Jelly

I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but everything
I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone tell me how I
would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does someone know of a
great recipe containing fresh instead of dried? (yoo-hoo, Barb...)

Thanks!

Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"clc" > wrote:

> I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but everything
> I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone tell me how I
> would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does someone know of a
> great recipe containing fresh instead of dried? (yoo-hoo, Barb...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheryl

LOL.
I've always just added chopped jalapeños to the jam or jelly as it's
cooking; I don't precook the peppas. Cherry Pepper Jelly is pretty
good. Peachy Pepper Jam. You get my drift? How much? A third cup? A
half cup? I should pay more attention to these things. :-//
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

clc wrote:
> I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but everything
> I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone tell me how I
> would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does someone know of a
> great recipe containing fresh instead of dried? (yoo-hoo, Barb...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheryl

I don't have an answer to your specific question, but FWIW I've found
that peppers lose a *whole lot* of their heat when you add the to jam or
jelly. You have to add much more peppers than you would expect if you
want any heat in the final product.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
clc clc is offline

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> clc wrote:
>> I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but
>> everything I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone
>> tell me how I would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does
>> someone know of a great recipe containing fresh instead of dried?
>> (yoo-hoo, Barb...)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheryl

> I don't have an answer to your specific question, but FWIW I've found that
> peppers lose a *whole lot* of their heat when you add the to jam or jelly.
> You have to add much more peppers than you would expect if you want any
> heat in the final product.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I've found that out with my jalapeno jelly... Even using nothing but hot
peppers turns out "cold". Is it just all that sugar?

Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.preserving

clc wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>clc wrote:
>>
>>>I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but
>>>everything I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone
>>>tell me how I would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does
>>>someone know of a great recipe containing fresh instead of dried?
>>>(yoo-hoo, Barb...)
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>Cheryl

>>I don't have an answer to your specific question, but FWIW I've found that
>>peppers lose a *whole lot* of their heat when you add the to jam or jelly.
>>You have to add much more peppers than you would expect if you want any
>>heat in the final product.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> I've found that out with my jalapeno jelly... Even using nothing but hot
> peppers turns out "cold". Is it just all that sugar?
>
> Cheryl

That and the fact that jalapenos are not that hot. As a matter of fact
they're about the mildest of the so-called hot peppers. Try a couple of
tabascos, or cayennes.

I grow a hot chile called Aji Limon de Peru that have a nice fruity
flavor but, with the placenta in them, are pretty hot. I recently made
some plum sauce and took two of those chiles, scraped the seeds and
placenta out of them, capped them, then tossed them in the food
processor with a nice sweet onion, and practically pureed them. The plum
sauce has a nice plum/fruity flavor and just enough heat to make it
interesting. Even my super taster wife can handle the heat. Some folks
like "hot pepper" jelly made with habaneros, little too hot for me.

George

Posted to rec.food.preserving
clc clc is offline

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "clc" > wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but
>> everything
>> I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone tell me how
>> would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does someone know of a
>> great recipe containing fresh instead of dried? (yoo-hoo, Barb...)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Cheryl

> LOL.
> I've always just added chopped jalapeños to the jam or jelly as it's
> cooking; I don't precook the peppas. Cherry Pepper Jelly is pretty
> good. Peachy Pepper Jam. You get my drift? How much? A third cup? A
> half cup? I should pay more attention to these things. :-//
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

So, Barb, what about using the fresh instead of dried apricots?

I've never been able to get any heat in my jam/jelly - even my "all
jalapeno" jelly with a habanero added, but thought it might add something.

Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"clc" > wrote:

> I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but everything
> I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone tell me how I
> would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does someone know of a
> great recipe containing fresh instead of dried? (yoo-hoo, Barb...)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cheryl

I neglected to ask you why you want fresh instead of dried, Cheryl. I
ask now. :-)

IME, fresh apricots don't have a very assertive flavor to them by
themselves, especially if you're looking for jelly. Even canned as
sauce, I think at least a light syrup helps the taste. I made some
apricot jelly from fresh apricots earlier in the summer and it's pretty,
but doesn't have much flavor to it. If you have an apricot tree out
your back door, maybe that would make a difference, but I'm buying
apricots from California. If you can be persuaded to work with dried
aps, look for California apricots instead of the Mediterranean ones.
Trader Joe's has California dried aps and I like them way better than
the Turkish ones. FWIW.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com
Posted to rec.food.preserving

clc wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "clc" > wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but
> >> everything
> >> I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone tell me how
> >> would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does someone know of a
> >> great recipe containing fresh instead of dried? (yoo-hoo, Barb...)
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Cheryl

> > LOL.
> > I've always just added chopped jalapeños to the jam or jelly as it's
> > cooking; I don't precook the peppas. Cherry Pepper Jelly is pretty
> > good. Peachy Pepper Jam. You get my drift? How much? A third cup? A
> > half cup? I should pay more attention to these things. :-//
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > http://jamlady.eboard.com

> So, Barb, what about using the fresh instead of dried apricots?
> I've never been able to get any heat in my jam/jelly - even my "all
> jalapeno" jelly with a habanero added, but thought it might add something.
> Cheryl

It's the sugar. I love habeneros in peach jam especially - but it takes 5 (!)
because I seed/devein them for a prettier look. When I made jalapenyo jam from
the pectin insert, it weren't hot at all. Musta been invented by gringos or
something. When I made blackberry/serrano jam I used a a few jalapenyos and a
dozen serranos and it was only mildly hot. I believe the sugar soaks up the
capcaisin, plan on at least doubling the peppers of whatever gringo recipe you
use.
Edrena in Texas

Posted to rec.food.preserving
clc clc is offline

"The Joneses" > wrote in message
> clc wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message

>> > LOL.
>> > I've always just added chopped jalapeños to the jam or jelly as it's
>> > cooking; I don't precook the peppas. Cherry Pepper Jelly is pretty
>> > good. Peachy Pepper Jam. You get my drift? How much? A third cup?
>> > half cup? I should pay more attention to these things. :-//
>> > --
>> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> > http://jamlady.eboard.com

>> So, Barb, what about using the fresh instead of dried apricots?
>> I've never been able to get any heat in my jam/jelly - even my "all
>> jalapeno" jelly with a habanero added, but thought it might add
>> something.
>> Cheryl

> It's the sugar. I love habeneros in peach jam especially - but it takes 5
> (!)
> because I seed/devein them for a prettier look. When I made jalapenyo jam
> from
> the pectin insert, it weren't hot at all. Musta been invented by gringos
> or
> something. When I made blackberry/serrano jam I used a a few jalapenyos
> and a
> dozen serranos and it was only mildly hot. I believe the sugar soaks up
> the
> capcaisin, plan on at least doubling the peppers of whatever gringo recipe
> you
> use.
> Edrena in Texas

Great info - thanks!

Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"clc" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "clc" > wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking for a recipe for apricot jalapeno jam or jelly, but
> >> everything
> >> I've found uses dried apricots instead of fresh. Can someone tell me how
> >> would know how to convert the amount to fresh? Or does someone know of a
> >> great recipe containing fresh instead of dried? (yoo-hoo, Barb...)
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> Cheryl

> > LOL.
> > I've always just added chopped jalapeños to the jam or jelly as it's
> > cooking; I don't precook the peppas. Cherry Pepper Jelly is pretty
> > good. Peachy Pepper Jam. You get my drift? How much? A third cup? A
> > half cup? I should pay more attention to these things. :-//
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > http://jamlady.eboard.com

> So, Barb, what about using the fresh instead of dried apricots?
>
> I've never been able to get any heat in my jam/jelly - even my "all
> jalapeno" jelly with a habanero added, but thought it might add something.
>
> Cheryl

Sorry I wasn't clear enough, Cheryl. What I'm saying is if you want an
Apricot Jalapeño Jam, find a recipe for Apricot Jam (pectin packets have
them using fresh aps) and add maybe 1/2 cup chopped jalapeños to the aps
when you're making the jam. Capisce? Sure, you can do it - no reason
not to. I've made Peachy Pepper Jam that way and it was popular. I
only use jalapeños cuz I'm kinda of a wuss about some things, but if you
want more heat, try some habaneros or other hotties. Did you check
anything that the Chilihead (spelling?) site might have. I'd bet the
rent they've got some recipes.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com

Posted to rec.food.preserving
clc clc is offline

> Sorry I wasn't clear enough, Cheryl. What I'm saying is if you want an
> Apricot Jalapeño Jam, find a recipe for Apricot Jam (pectin packets have
> them using fresh aps) and add maybe 1/2 cup chopped jalapeños to the aps
> when you're making the jam. Capisce? Sure, you can do it - no reason
> not to. I've made Peachy Pepper Jam that way and it was popular. I
> only use jalapeños cuz I'm kinda of a wuss about some things, but if you
> want more heat, try some habaneros or other hotties. Did you check
> anything that the Chilihead (spelling?) site might have. I'd bet the
> rent they've got some recipes.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://jamlady.eboard.com

Thanks, Barb! I did go ahead and make some this weekend with the BBB (new)
version which didn't call for any packaged pectin. I was a wuss and only
used 2 jalapenos finely diced since I didn't want to throttle folks, I just
wanted them to say "hmmm.... now what's that taste..." Next time I think
I'll try 4. It actually turned out very tasty - and a great apricot flavor.
The apricots I used were the ripest ones I've ever found in my area (without
them being bruised).

Where would we all be without cha?

Thanks again for your help!

Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
"clc" > wrote:
> wanted them to say "hmmm.... now what's that taste..." Next time I think
> I'll try 4. It actually turned out very tasty - and a great apricot flavor.
> The apricots I used were the ripest ones I've ever found in my area (without
> them being bruised).

Yeay on you!!! I'm envious of decent apricots.

> Where would we all be without cha?

Oh, I expect you'd be just fine ‹ and I thank you for your generous
words. It's nice to be appreciated. I was interviewed this afternoon
for a little story in the St. Paul Pioneer Press this weekend ‹ a
preview look at the Great Minnesota Get Together that starts on the
24th. I told the chap that it's very rewarding to know that I've helped
a couple people enjoy the art and science of jamming. Like you, Cheryl.
It tickles me to think I've been of value to you and maybe some others.
I've been putzing with a new website and software -- have a looksee
below.
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller
Posted to rec.food.preserving
clc clc is offline

> I've been putzing with a new website and software -- have a looksee
> below.
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

I really like the new site, Barb (it's much easier for me to follow - some
of us are slower than others

So, how did your cherry chipotle relish turn out after the rebatch? I don't
know where in the world you come up with some of these ideas! I wish I had
your knowledge and creativity!

Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.preserving

clc wrote:

>>I've been putzing with a new website and software -- have a looksee
>>below.
>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

> I really like the new site, Barb (it's much easier for me to follow - some
> of us are slower than others
>
> So, how did your cherry chipotle relish turn out after the rebatch? I don't
> know where in the world you come up with some of these ideas! I wish I had
> your knowledge and creativity!
>
> Cheryl

YOU CAN have her knowledge and creativity!! For $19.95 plus shipping and
handling several of us will hold her down, drill a hole and hook up the
tubing to drain all of that over to your head. This offer is not good in
any stores but only on the internet. Call now if you can find the
telephone number, PayPal not accepted.

<BSEG>

George, working on real work today and taking a break before going beserk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.. .
> clc wrote:
>
> >>I've been putzing with a new website and software -- have a looksee
> >>below.
> >>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> >>http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

> > I really like the new site, Barb (it's much easier for me to follow -

some
> > of us are slower than others
> >
> > So, how did your cherry chipotle relish turn out after the rebatch? I

don't
> > know where in the world you come up with some of these ideas! I wish I

had
> > your knowledge and creativity!
> >
> > Cheryl
> >

> YOU CAN have her knowledge and creativity!! For $19.95 plus shipping and
> handling several of us will hold her down, drill a hole and hook up the
> tubing to drain all of that over to your head. This offer is not good in
> any stores but only on the internet. Call now if you can find the
> telephone number, PayPal not accepted.
>
> <BSEG>
>
> George, working on real work today and taking a break before going beserk

LOL! George! What have you been smoking??!! Or drinking??!!

Kathi, hoping to get some of that elixir.....

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .

> > > I really like the new site, Barb (it's much easier for me to follow -

> some
> > > of us are slower than others
> > > So, how did your cherry chipotle relish turn out after the rebatch? I

> don't
> > > know where in the world you come up with some of these ideas! I wish I

> had
> > > your knowledge and creativity!
> > > Cheryl
> > >

> > YOU CAN have her knowledge and creativity!! For $19.95 plus shipping and
> > handling several of us will hold her down, drill a hole and hook up the
> > tubing to drain all of that over to your head. This offer is not good in
> > any stores but only on the internet. Call now if you can find the
> > telephone number, PayPal not accepted.
> > <BSEG>
> > George, working on real work today and taking a break before going beserk
> >

> LOL! George! What have you been smoking??!! Or drinking??!!
> Kathi, hoping to get some of that elixir.....

Put da lime in da coconut, then you feel better! I then add rum & pineapple
juice and leetle umbrella.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .. .

>>>I really like the new site, Barb (it's much easier for me to follow -

> some
>
>>>of us are slower than others
>>>
>>>So, how did your cherry chipotle relish turn out after the rebatch? I

> don't
>
>>>know where in the world you come up with some of these ideas! I wish I

> had
>
>>>your knowledge and creativity!
>>>
>>>Cheryl
>>>

>>YOU CAN have her knowledge and creativity!! For $19.95 plus shipping and
>>handling several of us will hold her down, drill a hole and hook up the
>>tubing to drain all of that over to your head. This offer is not good in
>>any stores but only on the internet. Call now if you can find the
>>telephone number, PayPal not accepted.
>>
>><BSEG>
>>
>>George, working on real work today and taking a break before going beserk
>>

> LOL! George! What have you been smoking??!! Or drinking??!!
>
> Kathi, hoping to get some of that elixir.....

I'm like the cheerleaders for Norfolk High. Best cheer of the year 1957:

We don't drink, we don't smoke, Norfolk, Norfolk. (Think about it)

George, still a little batty but done for the day

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 14:48:48 -0500, George Shirley
> wrote:

>clc wrote:
>
>>>I've been putzing with a new website and software -- have a looksee
>>>below.
>>>-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>>http://web.mac.com/barbschaller

>> I really like the new site, Barb (it's much easier for me to follow - some
>> of us are slower than others
>>
>> So, how did your cherry chipotle relish turn out after the rebatch? I don't
>> know where in the world you come up with some of these ideas! I wish I had
>> your knowledge and creativity!
>>
>> Cheryl
>>

>YOU CAN have her knowledge and creativity!! For $19.95 plus shipping and
>handling several of us will hold her down, drill a hole and hook up the
>tubing to drain all of that over to your head. This offer is not good in
>any stores but only on the internet. Call now if you can find the
>telephone number, PayPal not accepted.
>
><BSEG>

Or, if you're really lucky AND deserving (like moi) you can be invited
into her home and allowed to cook with her (she allowed me to sous),
AND watch her as she makes said cherry chipotle relish. And get a jar
to go home with.

It's good to be me!

TammyM, princess of quite a lot!! :-)