Sara Gottlieb

Default New to canning - really basic questions

Hi,

I am canning for the first time this year - starting with apricots,
apples, and later will be doing tomatoes.

I have the BBB and have read USDA websites, but there are a few basic
things I don't totally understand. I hope someone out there will
indulge me:

1. Bubbles - There are inevitably small bubbles suspended in my
applesauce and apricot jam no matter how much I run the spatula around
the side. Is the problem with bubbles just that large ones can cause
the food to expand too much or will bacteria live in them? How do I
get rid of a billion little bubbles in my product?

2. Headspace - How precise does one have to be? As long as I have at
least 1/4 and no more than 1/2 inch for fruit products, it it ok?

3. Fitting more than 6 jars in a water bath - is it possible to get
more than 6, 8 oz. jars in a water bath? Can you have 2 inserts
stacked on top of each other?

Thanks!
Sara (in high elevation Albuquerque, NM)
Dwayne

"Sara Gottlieb" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I am canning for the first time this year - starting with apricots,
> apples, and later will be doing tomatoes.
>
> I have the BBB and have read USDA websites, but there are a few basic
> things I don't totally understand. I hope someone out there will
> indulge me:
>
> 1. Bubbles - There are inevitably small bubbles suspended in my
> applesauce and apricot jam no matter how much I run the spatula around
> the side. Is the problem with bubbles just that large ones can cause
> the food to expand too much or will bacteria live in them? How do I
> get rid of a billion little bubbles in my product?

Mine always has some bubbles, but I have never been hurt by them. If you
plan on entering them at the Fair to be judged you may receive a lower
rating than one without bubbles.

> 2. Headspace - How precise does one have to be? As long as I have at
> least 1/4 and no more than 1/2 inch for fruit products, it it ok?

I try to get it as close as possible. Again you get graded off at a fair,
if the headspace isnt correct. Some times I have a lot of product boil out
into the hot water bath. I place some of the blame for that on incorrect
headspace and not turning the heat down some after it starts boiling.

> 3. Fitting more than 6 jars in a water bath - is it possible to get
> more than 6, 8 oz. jars in a water bath? Can you have 2 inserts
> stacked on top of each other?

I wouldnt. It seems like it would cause improper heating between the jars.
If you have that much to do, get another canner and do two at one time.

> Thanks!
> Sara (in high elevation Albuquerque, NM)

Dwayne

Sara Gottlieb

"Dwayne" > wrote in message

> Mine always has some bubbles, but I have never been hurt by them. If you
> plan on entering them at the Fair to be judged you may receive a lower
> rating than one without bubbles.

> Dwayne

Thanks Dwayne! I'm really only concerned with the safety of the food
as I plan on giving some of it as gifts. Maybe after a few decades of
experience I'll think about competition canning ;-)

Thanks again,
Sara
The Joneses

Sara Gottlieb wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am canning for the first time this year - starting with apricots,
> apples, and later will be doing tomatoes.
> I have the BBB and have read USDA websites, but there are a few basic
> things I don't totally understand. I hope someone out there will
> indulge me:
> Thanks! Sara (in high elevation Albuquerque, NM)

Howdy Sara - I'll be in ALB next week to the VA, been up there alot this
year. Welcome to the group. We get fabulous quinces out here, they make
superb jelly, with no pectin needed and plenty of pulp for butter, ditto,
and takes up many nice spices. Do get a notebook and keep notes of stuff
you do and what you like. Mine has been a real help.
1. Bubbles - when the jars are cool, rotate them around in your hands and
tap the sides. Sometimes the bubbles will out. I've never died from tiny
bubbles. But we acidify the foods and that helps cure the baddies
2. Headspace - Sounds good to me. I believe competitions like to have them
filled just to the lower thread, but that sorta depends on the
competition. If you fill things too full you risk them boiling over and
not sealing. I read a reference somewhere (I'll find it one of these days)
that at altitude we should leave at least 1/2" if not more. I do the rim
thing myself.
3. more than 6 jars in a water bath - If you can get the jars so they are
not absolutely crowded together, that's safe. If you can stack (I use a
cake rack) make sure that the water covers the top by at least an inch, 2
is better, and also some space for boiling, another 2 inches. Be advised
that the more merely hot stuff you put in, the longer it will take for
the bath to return to boiling. I believe one of the Holies of the Order
of St. Pectina told me I could keep some of the batch on the counter
until the first round is done in the canner. We're looking at minutes
here, not all night.
Edrena in El Paso, 4000'

Canning Questions zxcvbob General Cooking 16 17-12-2009 02:09 AM
Canning Questions zxcvbob Preserving 22 16-12-2009 09:02 PM
Canning Questions Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 0 04-11-2009 11:18 PM
Canning Questions gloria.p General Cooking 2 04-11-2009 09:20 PM
Canning Questions The Bull Preserving 8 27-07-2005 05:28 PM