Melba's Jammin'

Default Let the games begin!

First canning of the 2004 season: Gingered Rhubarb-Mango Jam.
Rather on the sweet side, what with the sugar and the sweet mango.
Recipe (loosely based on a recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam)

Gingered Rhubarb-Mango Jam
3 cups diced rhubarb
1 cup chopped ripe mango
1 pkg Fruit Jell (the Ball stuff) pectin
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 cup orange juice
2 tbsp minced crystallized ginger
5-1/2 cups sugar

I micro-cooked the rhubarb and the mango together in a 2-quart glass
mixing pitcher for about 5 minutes. Wanted to start some juices and
didn't want to risk sticking or burning by doing it on the stove.
I transferred the fruit to my jammin' kettle and added the pectin, then
brought it to a boil. Stir in the lemon & lime juices (I would have
used all lime if I'd had it) and the sugar and the minced ginger and
return to boil, then boil for one minute. OK, this is where I stirred
in the OJ because it was looking pretty thick. Jarred and processed.
I'm thinking that if my rhubarb were fresher (it's been in the fridge
for the better part of a week), it would have been juicier - might have
to try this again.

It has a mangoey perfume about it - not sure I like it. And it's
sweeter than I thought it would be. I really think juicier rhubarb
would be an improvement.

It made five half-pint jars and two four-ounce jars of stuff.

Live and learn.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 5/30/04.
Only 3-1/2 weeks until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> First canning of the 2004 season: Gingered Rhubarb-Mango Jam.
> Rather on the sweet side, what with the sugar and the sweet mango.
> Recipe (loosely based on a recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam)
>
> Gingered Rhubarb-Mango Jam
> 3 cups diced rhubarb
> 1 cup chopped ripe mango
> 1 pkg Fruit Jell (the Ball stuff) pectin
> 1 tbsp lemon juice
> 1 tbsp lime juice
> 1/2 cup orange juice
> 2 tbsp minced crystallized ginger
> 5-1/2 cups sugar
>
> I micro-cooked the rhubarb and the mango together in a 2-quart glass
> mixing pitcher for about 5 minutes. Wanted to start some juices and
> didn't want to risk sticking or burning by doing it on the stove.
> I transferred the fruit to my jammin' kettle and added the pectin, then
> brought it to a boil. Stir in the lemon & lime juices (I would have
> used all lime if I'd had it) and the sugar and the minced ginger and
> return to boil, then boil for one minute. OK, this is where I stirred
> in the OJ because it was looking pretty thick. Jarred and processed.
> I'm thinking that if my rhubarb were fresher (it's been in the fridge
> for the better part of a week), it would have been juicier - might have
> to try this again.
>
> It has a mangoey perfume about it - not sure I like it. And it's
> sweeter than I thought it would be. I really think juicier rhubarb
> would be an improvement.
>
> It made five half-pint jars and two four-ounce jars of stuff.
>
> Live and learn.

Gift it to people you dislike. They'll not bother you for more? (g)
Edrena

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > First canning of the 2004 season: Gingered Rhubarb-Mango Jam.
> > Rather on the sweet side, what with the sugar and the sweet mango.
> > Recipe (loosely based on a recipe for Strawberry-Rhubarb Jam)
> >
> > Gingered Rhubarb-Mango Jam

(snip)
> > It has a mangoey perfume about it - not sure I like it. And it's
> > sweeter than I thought it would be. I really think juicier rhubarb
> > would be an improvement.
> >
> > It made five half-pint jars and two four-ounce jars of stuff.
> >
> > Live and learn.

> Gift it to people you dislike. They'll not bother you for more? (g)
> Edrena

It's always been a thought -- but I hate to pass off an inferior product
-- I have a reputation to uphold doncha know.