The Joneses

Default Honorable Battle Wounds

Okay, so I had this humungus pot of boiling water half full
of the finest pickled beets in four states and the last one
is leaking! Oh dear maybe I didn't tighten the lid down -
went in with the jarlifter and as I drew it out at a clip
the jar bottom cracked, fell off, pickled beets everywhere
and boiling water splashed on my, er, chest. Owwwwwwwie. I
put ice on it and just got a pink sort of burn. Reason to
wear sturdy clothes or apron fer sure. Do I get a Kerr
Medal? How about a Pickle Ribbon for Valor and Bravery?
Edrena

George Shirley

The Joneses wrote:
> Okay, so I had this humungus pot of boiling water half full
> of the finest pickled beets in four states and the last one
> is leaking! Oh dear maybe I didn't tighten the lid down -
> went in with the jarlifter and as I drew it out at a clip
> the jar bottom cracked, fell off, pickled beets everywhere
> and boiling water splashed on my, er, chest. Owwwwwwwie. I
> put ice on it and just got a pink sort of burn. Reason to
> wear sturdy clothes or apron fer sure. Do I get a Kerr
> Medal? How about a Pickle Ribbon for Valor and Bravery?
> Edrena

How about the red, er, ah, "chest" wound medal? Main thing is, did you
learn something new? Let the thing leak next time, better to waste a jar
than to waste an er, ah chest. Everyone has had jar bottom fall off at
least once, mine were found that way in the canner so I didn't get
burned when I took them out. Did have one crack from thermal shock on
the folded towel on the counter once. Startled the heck out of me.

George

nutNhoney

George Shirley wrote:
> The Joneses wrote:
>
>> Okay, so I had this humungus pot of boiling water half full
>> of the finest pickled beets in four states and the last one
>> is leaking! Oh dear maybe I didn't tighten the lid down -
>> went in with the jarlifter and as I drew it out at a clip
>> the jar bottom cracked, fell off, pickled beets everywhere
>> and boiling water splashed on my, er, chest. Owwwwwwwie. I
>> put ice on it and just got a pink sort of burn. Reason to
>> wear sturdy clothes or apron fer sure. Do I get a Kerr
>> Medal? How about a Pickle Ribbon for Valor and Bravery?
>> Edrena
>>

> How about the red, er, ah, "chest" wound medal? Main thing is, did you
> learn something new? Let the thing leak next time, better to waste a jar
> than to waste an er, ah chest. Everyone has had jar bottom fall off at
> least once, mine were found that way in the canner so I didn't get
> burned when I took them out. Did have one crack from thermal shock on
> the folded towel on the counter once. Startled the heck out of me.

My sympathies to the OP on the burn. Thank goodness it wasn't worse!

George, I've had one leaker in a water bath but none so far once out.
The bottom popped right out. A leaker is a mess regardless where it is
but I'd rather it be contained in the canner than all over the counter.
Instead of a towel, I use a 1/2" thick cork board. The jars have
never complained (knock on wood just in case they decide to complain).

> George

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, The Joneses
> wrote:

> Okay, so I had this humungus pot of boiling water half full
> of the finest pickled beets in four states and the last one
> is leaking! Oh dear maybe I didn't tighten the lid down -
> went in with the jarlifter and as I drew it out at a clip
> the jar bottom cracked, fell off, pickled beets everywhere

Jeez, I hate when that happens. Mine involved plum jelly.
And a few months ago, I was putting spaghetti sauce into sealable bags;
went to pick up the bag to seal it up and bottom split open. Spaghetti
sauce all over hell and gone. Ticked me off.

> and boiling water splashed on my, er, chest. Owwwwwwwie. I
> put ice on it and just got a pink sort of burn. Reason to
> wear sturdy clothes or apron fer sure. Do I get a Kerr
> Medal? How about a Pickle Ribbon for Valor and Bravery?
> Edrena

Di'n't we never tol' you about canning nekkid, Lucy? Don' do that!
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Sam I Am updated 5/30/04.
Only 3-1/2 weeks until my birthday. "Shop early, shop often, shop
The Joneses

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> > and boiling water splashed on my, er, chest. Owwwwwwwie.

> Di'n't we never tol' you about canning nekkid, Lucy? Don' do that!
> -Barb

But it's Hot down here. And I didn' larn much, pickling again in a tank
top.
But I'll be on the watch for them communist jars from aliens in black
helicopters tryin to ruin my day.
Edrena up in arms.