Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

Default jars of jalapeno rings

I'm not even sure *if* this is a preserving issue . . .

My wife likes the jars full of sliced pepper rings. Unfortunately, they
tend not to be all that hot (and this latest jar tastes oxidized!).

If the jar is to stay refridgerated from the time I make them until she
fishes the last one out, do I have anything to worry about? Or can I
just slice fresh jalapenos into a vinegar solution?

Hmm, what *is* the appropriate vinegar solution?

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail
Loki

il Tue, 24 Feb 2004 04:22:59 GMT, Wayne Boatwright ha scritto:

> You have nothing to worry about. Use 5% acidity white vinegar and add a
> teaspoon or more of salt to the jar. Pop into the fridge and allow to
> mellow for a week before eating. They will certainly keep for as long as
> it takes your wife to eat them, and almost indefinitely.

And if one wants to keep them out of the fridge? And how big a jar
are wetalking about for a teaspoon of salt? In metrics if possible
:-)))
--
Cheers,

Craig Watts

>Care to retry that once your keyboard is trained? :-)
>--
>Cheers,
>Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

Retry-keyboard better.

For sliced jalapenos we just boil a 50/50 mix of white viniger and
water. Pack the jar full of sliced rings and just pour in the boiling
liquid. The cap off. We do not do a boiling water bath. They stay on
the shelf till opened. And, yes the pinch of salt can help.

For whole cayane peppers we use staight cider viniger and do the same.

HTH

Craig

Wayne Boatwright

"Loki" > wrote in
:

> il Tue, 24 Feb 2004 04:22:59 GMT, Wayne Boatwright ha scritto:
>

>> You have nothing to worry about. Use 5% acidity white vinegar and
>> add a teaspoon or more of salt to the jar. Pop into the fridge and
>> allow to mellow for a week before eating. They will certainly keep
>> for as long as it takes your wife to eat them, and almost
>> indefinitely.
>>

> And if one wants to keep them out of the fridge? And how big a jar
> are wetalking about for a teaspoon of salt? In metrics if possible
>:-)))

Truthfully, I don't think a jar of pepper rings in pure vinegar would
spoil, but that's just my opinion. Of course, if you're making numerous
jars, I would suggest boiling the vinegar before pouing over the pepper
rings in the jar, then using a boiling water bath for 10-15 minutes.
They should have a long shelf life, but the texture will not be as crisp.

I was referring to US pint jars (16 fluid ounces, US), which equates to
..473 liters, or about half a liter. The amount of salt is flexible. I
would use a minimum of 1 teaspoon and as much as 2 teaspoons.

HTH
Wayne
Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
(Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in news:c1d6vm
:

<jalapenos for the refridgerator>

>You have nothing to worry about. Use 5% acidity white vinegar and add a
>teaspoon or more of salt to the jar. Pop into the fridge and allow to
>mellow for a week before eating. They will certainly keep for as long as
>it takes your wife to eat them, and almost indefinitely.

Ahh, so I don't have to boil them? It would be nice to keep them
crisper.

thanks

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail
These opinions will not be those of X and postings.
Penn State until it pays my retainer. / \
Loki

il Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:35:00 GMT, Wayne Boatwright ha scritto:

> I was referring to US pint jars (16 fluid ounces, US), which equates to
> .473 liters, or about half a liter. The amount of salt is flexible. I
> would use a minimum of 1 teaspoon and as much as 2 teaspoons.
>
> HTH
> Wayne

Ok thanks. I have many jars and hardly 2 are the same size.
--
Cheers,

Dr. Richard E. Hawkins

In article >,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
(Dr. Richard E. Hawkins) wrote in
:

>>>You have nothing to worry about. Use 5% acidity white vinegar and add
>>>a teaspoon or more of salt to the jar. Pop into the fridge and allow
>>>to mellow for a week before eating. They will certainly keep for as
>>>long as it takes your wife to eat them, and almost indefinitely.

>> Ahh, so I don't have to boil them? It would be nice to keep them
>> crisper.

>Right... Absolutely no cooking is necessary.

She likes them. I did them a few days ago, and she didn't wait for
mellowing. Mostly jalapen, but a few cherry pepper and chile for color.

hawk

--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics /"\ ASCII ribbon campaign
111 Hiller (814) 375-4846 \ / against HTML mail
These opinions will not be those of X and postings.
Penn State until it pays my retainer. / \

Crumpet rings Becca EmaNymton General Cooking 10 24-08-2014 09:05 PM
Onion rings... OmManiPadmeOmelet General Cooking 17 08-06-2006 09:08 PM
Onion Rings Tim Recipes 0 28-03-2005 12:05 PM
Onion Rings Jeff General Cooking 22 11-11-2004 05:32 AM