Michael Horowitz

Default Adjusting the stove

It wasn't simply because of my interest in canning, but it added to
the push to get away from my electric cooktop and move to gas.
I have four burners ranging in size from 1 1/2" to 4".
So, my copy of BBB finally came in and I'm canning chili on the new
cooktop.
Started off on the major burner to make steam for :10 and get me up to
10psi. Then off to the smallest burner to keep the psi steady.
I'm having the dickens of a time finding that knob position that will
keep the needle steady at 10.5 psi.
And I want to go downstairs and watch WestWing, but I'm concerned that
unless I find that sweetspot where heat loss=heat added, the needle
will roll one way or the other like a lumberjack on a logroll.
I know that if I go below the target psi I need to start from the
beginning with my timing, so I'm jumping up every :05 to see what's
up.
How do you handle the temp. adjustment business? - Mike

George Shirley

I sit within five feet of the stove until everything is done. When you
are pressure canning it doesn't pay to wander off. Even with a gas stove
you need to stay nearby Michael. Take a book with you or move a tv into
the area but stay alert and watch what's happening.

The first time with an electric stove is a learning experience. I
fiddled with mine until such time as I learned exactly how to adjust the
temperature controls to reach and hold the pressure needed on the gauge.

George

Michael Horowitz wrote:

> It wasn't simply because of my interest in canning, but it added to
> the push to get away from my electric cooktop and move to gas.
> I have four burners ranging in size from 1 1/2" to 4".
> So, my copy of BBB finally came in and I'm canning chili on the new
> cooktop.
> Started off on the major burner to make steam for :10 and get me up to
> 10psi. Then off to the smallest burner to keep the psi steady.
> I'm having the dickens of a time finding that knob position that will
> keep the needle steady at 10.5 psi.
> And I want to go downstairs and watch WestWing, but I'm concerned that
> unless I find that sweetspot where heat loss=heat added, the needle
> will roll one way or the other like a lumberjack on a logroll.
> I know that if I go below the target psi I need to start from the
> beginning with my timing, so I'm jumping up every :05 to see what's
> up.
> How do you handle the temp. adjustment business? - Mike

Ross Reid

Michael Horowitz > wrote:

>It wasn't simply because of my interest in canning, but it added to
>the push to get away from my electric cooktop and move to gas.
>I have four burners ranging in size from 1 1/2" to 4".
>So, my copy of BBB finally came in and I'm canning chili on the new
>cooktop.
>Started off on the major burner to make steam for :10 and get me up to
>10psi. Then off to the smallest burner to keep the psi steady.
>I'm having the dickens of a time finding that knob position that will
>keep the needle steady at 10.5 psi.
>And I want to go downstairs and watch WestWing, but I'm concerned that
>unless I find that sweetspot where heat loss=heat added, the needle
>will roll one way or the other like a lumberjack on a logroll.
>I know that if I go below the target psi I need to start from the
>beginning with my timing, so I'm jumping up every :05 to see what's
>up.
>How do you handle the temp. adjustment business? - Mike

Mike,

My suggestion would be to plan your pressure canning so it doesn't
conflict with your TV watching.
I've been pressure cooking and pressure canning for over 25 years now
and I wouldn't dream of leaving either to their own devices. There is
simply no doubt in my mind that ol' Murphy and his law would move in
the minute I left the kitchen ;-(.

Ross
pheasant

"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
> I know that if I go below the target psi I need to start from the
> beginning with my timing, so I'm jumping up every :05 to see what's
> up.
> How do you handle the temp. adjustment business? - Mike

Agree with the other posters; don't leave the stove.

What I've found when canning pheasant, deer, etc, (raw pack) that until the
food has been thouroughly cooked we tend to run the stove med hi or a bit
above, once it's cooked (about half the cycle) then the pressure starts it's
climb, so we start backing down the heat. Usually end up with med lo to
maintain pressure, but it's in the kitchen and check every few minutes. I
never worry if I overshoot the pressure a bit, if it calls for 11, and is
hanging at 12-13, I just leave it. Like you stated, never want to drop
under.

Have fun.
Mark

--
Four boxes protect our freedom: the soap box, the
ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

George Shirley

Ross Reid wrote:

> Michael Horowitz > wrote:
>

>>It wasn't simply because of my interest in canning, but it added to
>>the push to get away from my electric cooktop and move to gas.
>>I have four burners ranging in size from 1 1/2" to 4".
>>So, my copy of BBB finally came in and I'm canning chili on the new
>>cooktop.
>>Started off on the major burner to make steam for :10 and get me up to
>>10psi. Then off to the smallest burner to keep the psi steady.
>>I'm having the dickens of a time finding that knob position that will
>>keep the needle steady at 10.5 psi.
>>And I want to go downstairs and watch WestWing, but I'm concerned that
>>unless I find that sweetspot where heat loss=heat added, the needle
>>will roll one way or the other like a lumberjack on a logroll.
>>I know that if I go below the target psi I need to start from the
>>beginning with my timing, so I'm jumping up every :05 to see what's
>>up.
>>How do you handle the temp. adjustment business? - Mike
>>

> Mike,
>
> My suggestion would be to plan your pressure canning so it doesn't
> conflict with your TV watching.
> I've been pressure cooking and pressure canning for over 25 years now
> and I wouldn't dream of leaving either to their own devices. There is
> simply no doubt in my mind that ol' Murphy and his law would move in
> the minute I left the kitchen ;-(.
>
> Ross

As a volunteer firefighter many years ago I went to a reported fire that
was really a pressure canner that had exploded into the kitchen ceiling.
Never saw anything like that before or after and never did find out what
made it overpressure and blow. there wasn't enough of the top and the
lid left to diagnose. Luckily no one was hurt but the lady of the house
sure marked her laundry that day. Never saw anyone that pale before.

George

Need suggestions re adjusting TA ... RogerD Winemaking 2 19-10-2006 12:35 AM
Adjusting PH [email protected] Winemaking 1 21-09-2006 01:03 AM
Adjusting acid lknudson Winemaking 3 15-04-2006 06:57 AM
Acid adjusting problem Jon Winemaking 2 27-10-2005 09:53 AM
Adjusting PH. Will Winemaking 1 20-10-2003 02:12 AM