Eric Deaver

Default turkey sausage

A friend of mine just got a meat grinder. I was thinking of buying
some frozen turkeys that are on special right now, thwing them and
making them into sausage. The carcasses will be used to make stock.
What is the current thought on thawing, making sausage, and freezing
the sausage? I was always taught it is a no-no. I also thought we
could smoke the turkey sausage and then freeze.

Eric
Kacey Barriss

I do it about once a year - no problems BUT...I thaw the turkeys only
two at a time in the frig (just until I can manage to debone them, still
some ice crystals). Grind with a cold grinder in a cold room, quickly
stuff those to be smoked and put into the smoker.

Rarely use fresh turkey sausage, On the rare occasion that I want fresh
turkey sausage in a recipe, I thaw turkey parts, grind, season & use
within a few hours.

It's just my method - bet there are lots of people who also have their
preferred methods that work out great.

Happy sausage making
Kacey

--
Outgoing messages checked with Norton Antivirus 2003.

Craig Watts

>Eric Deaver wrote:
>> A friend of mine just got a meat grinder. I was thinking of buying
>> some frozen turkeys that are on special right now, thwing them and
>> making them into sausage. The carcasses will be used to make stock.
>> What is the current thought on thawing, making sausage, and freezing
>> the sausage? I was always taught it is a no-no. I also thought we
>> could smoke the turkey sausage and then freeze.
>>
>> Eric

My only expeirence is with Polish Kilbasi and pork/beef (75% 25%) .
After stuffing the casings we boil them in water/beer mixture and they
become as hard and cooked as a hot dog. About 30 minutes. They just
need grilling after that. I use a pre-made cure mix from Northern
Tool.

We do freeze them for long term storage.
Jerry

Eric...
For the right ratio of fat to lean, you need only the dark meat with
skins.. easiest to use is the thighs... no tendon strands.
If you use the whole bird, it's going to be pretty dry.
I use chicken/turkey to make a fresh apple cinnamon breakfast sausage,
and they hold nicely.
Whether fresh/frozen or smoked when ready to eat, they need to have an
internal of at least 162 degrees to avoid health issues.

Good luck

Eric Deaver wrote:

>A friend of mine just got a meat grinder. I was thinking of buying
>some frozen turkeys that are on special right now, thwing them and
>making them into sausage. The carcasses will be used to make stock.
>What is the current thought on thawing, making sausage, and freezing
>the sausage? I was always taught it is a no-no. I also thought we
>could smoke the turkey sausage and then freeze.
>
>Eric

Rigatoni With Turkey Sausage and Mozzarella J Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 13-06-2007 08:01 PM
Lowfat Turkey Sausage Stew Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2006 10:15 AM
Turkey Breakfast Sausage Tim Recipes 0 18-12-2005 04:22 PM
Made a turkey sausage pizza tonite zxcvbob General Cooking 1 23-11-2003 07:10 AM