SCUBApix

Default rfpFAQ Available

The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.1. A detailed,
chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .

This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

SCUBApix

"Anonymous" > wrote in message
t...
> is it possible to make all the pages available in a single html file so

that
> we won't have
> to download them one by one.
>
> thnx

That was never mentioned previously as a requirement. A single file would be
over 500Kb, which would be slow loading for many people over dial-up.
Keeping each part under 100Kb was sometjhing I aimed for (and succeded at).
But it here is enough demand, I can see about changing it to at least a
fewer number of pieces. Let's hear other's comments.

P.S.
I guess we never thought about people downloading the FAQ but rather just
using it online. Please also comment on your need for offline use.

> SCUBApix wrote:
> > The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
> > http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
> > changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.1. A
> > detailed, chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
> > http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
> >
> > This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

Henriette Kress

SCUBApix wrote:

> I guess we never thought about people downloading the FAQ but rather just
> using it online. Please also comment on your need for offline use.

People on dialup are quite likely to download the whole thing. After all,
they're not online all the time, and their phone might be tied up right
when they need to look up some important tidbit in it.

fup set.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
A.T. Hagan

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:21:46 -0500, "SCUBApix"
> wrote:

>"Anonymous" > wrote in message
et...
>> is it possible to make all the pages available in a single html file so

>that
>> we won't have
>> to download them one by one.
>>
>> thnx

>That was never mentioned previously as a requirement. A single file would be
>over 500Kb, which would be slow loading for many people over dial-up.
>Keeping each part under 100Kb was sometjhing I aimed for (and succeded at).
>But it here is enough demand, I can see about changing it to at least a
>fewer number of pieces. Let's hear other's comments.
>
>P.S.
>I guess we never thought about people downloading the FAQ but rather just
>using it online. Please also comment on your need for offline use.

Perhaps as a single text file, *.rtf, or PDF file. It's what I did
with the food storage FAQ. I marked it up in HTML, but a lot of folks
want to print out copies for binders and such so I give them a
downloadable file. Much better than one monster HTML file which would
take forever to load. I'd like to have a copy of the latest
rec.food.preserving FAQ to print out for myself.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
SCUBApix

"A.T. Hagan" -THIS> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:21:46 -0500, "SCUBApix"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Anonymous" > wrote in message
> et...
> >> is it possible to make all the pages available in a single html file so

> >that
> >> we won't have
> >> to download them one by one.
> >>
> >> thnx

> >That was never mentioned previously as a requirement. A single file would

be
> >over 500Kb, which would be slow loading for many people over dial-up.
> >Keeping each part under 100Kb was sometjhing I aimed for (and succeded

at).
> >But it here is enough demand, I can see about changing it to at least a
> >fewer number of pieces. Let's hear other's comments.
> >
> >P.S.
> >I guess we never thought about people downloading the FAQ but rather just
> >using it online. Please also comment on your need for offline use.

> Perhaps as a single text file, *.rtf, or PDF file. It's what I did
> with the food storage FAQ. I marked it up in HTML, but a lot of folks
> want to print out copies for binders and such so I give them a
> downloadable file. Much better than one monster HTML file which would
> take forever to load. I'd like to have a copy of the latest
> rec.food.preserving FAQ to print out for myself.

Ok, a single text file for downloading. But then one obviously gives up the
'jump' references. I could write a perl program to read each of the pieces
and create a single text file for downloading. That way I don't get caught
in the mess of having to keep two different versions up to date. Keep the
HTML up to date and create the text file from it.

Does this satisfy people?

Henriette Kress

SCUBApix wrote:

> I could write a perl program to read each of the pieces
> and create a single text file for downloading. That way I don't get caught
> in the mess of having to keep two different versions up to date. Keep the
> HTML up to date and create the text file from it.
>
> Does this satisfy people?

It certainly should.

Henriette

--
Henriette Kress, AHG Helsinki, Finland
Henriette's herbal homepage: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed
Best of RHOD: http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/rhod
A.T. Hagan

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:04:10 -0500, "SCUBApix"
> wrote:

>"A.T. Hagan" -THIS> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:21:46 -0500, "SCUBApix"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"Anonymous" > wrote in message
>> et...
>> >that

>> >That was never mentioned previously as a requirement. A single file would

>be
>> >over 500Kb, which would be slow loading for many people over dial-up.
>> >Keeping each part under 100Kb was sometjhing I aimed for (and succeded

>at).
>> >But it here is enough demand, I can see about changing it to at least a
>> >fewer number of pieces. Let's hear other's comments.
>> >
>> >P.S.
>> >I guess we never thought about people downloading the FAQ but rather just
>> >using it online. Please also comment on your need for offline use.

>> Perhaps as a single text file, *.rtf, or PDF file. It's what I did
>> with the food storage FAQ. I marked it up in HTML, but a lot of folks
>> want to print out copies for binders and such so I give them a
>> downloadable file. Much better than one monster HTML file which would
>> take forever to load. I'd like to have a copy of the latest
>> rec.food.preserving FAQ to print out for myself.
>>

>Ok, a single text file for downloading. But then one obviously gives up the
>'jump' references. I could write a perl program to read each of the pieces
>and create a single text file for downloading. That way I don't get caught
>in the mess of having to keep two different versions up to date. Keep the
>HTML up to date and create the text file from it.
>
>Does this satisfy people?

Sounds good to me! Thanks for making the effort.

......Alan.

--
Curiosity killed the cat -
lack of it is killing mankind.
SCUBApix

"SCUBApix" > wrote in message
> The rec.food.preserving FAQ is available at
> http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/rfpFAQ.htm . There have been no
> changes since the last announcement; we are at Version 4.1. A detailed,
> chronological ordering of changes to the FAQ can be found at
> http://www.gbronline.com/jacke/rfpfaq/differences.htm .
>
> This is the monthly posting of the availablility of the FAQ.

Ok folks, as per several requests, I have added a single text file that can
be downloaded. Just start at the above place (rfpFAQ.htm) and you will see a
link for download where it talks about the 'differences' file. The new text
file opens in your browser and then you just click 'file' and 'save as' and
you should have it. Let me know if there are any difficulties.

Marie Martinek

In article >, "SCUBApix" > wrote:

>Ok, a single text file for downloading. But then one obviously gives up the
>'jump' references. I could write a perl program to read each of the pieces
>and create a single text file for downloading. That way I don't get caught
>in the mess of having to keep two different versions up to date. Keep the
>HTML up to date and create the text file from it.
>
>Does this satisfy people?

You are a god! Or at least, a saint in the pantheon. Subsidiary to St.
Pectina, but not by much.

--
Marie Martinek
Northwestern University, Evanston, IL. USA

rfpFAQ Not Available SCUBApix Preserving 3 26-11-2008 09:24 PM
rfpFAQ is Available SCUBApix Preserving 0 05-11-2007 05:51 PM
rfpFAQ Available SCUBApix Preserving 0 02-08-2005 05:35 PM
rfpFAQ Available SCUBApix Preserving 1 03-02-2004 05:04 PM
rfpFAQ Available SCUBApix Preserving 1 06-11-2003 06:00 PM