Bpyboy

Default portable and pocket soups?

Hi guys, still toying around with my dehydrator.

I found (by accident) a bunch of historical (mostly around 1700's) info on
"pocket soup" and "portable soup" where apparently, you take dried veggies,
and meat that you have boiled to death and gelitenized, mix it up, then dry it
into little 1.5" cakes, that reconstitute with hot water.

Anyone have experience with making/using these things? I'm more interested in
it as a good backpacking soup mix than anything historical, and would use my
dehydrator instead of setting the mixes in the sun to dry, or storing it in a
"oil cloth" or "haversack".

Maybe some one in the SCA or some re-enactment group?

interesting idea, seemed to be the way to keep your soldiers alive in centuries
past.
Thanks,
john