Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Apricot Jam recipe needed

I remember a few months ago, someone kindly posted a recipe here using
dried apricots for making a jam with. Since my ISP only keeps posts
for 24 hours, it has long vanished but I'd like to try it. Could you
please poke about in your recipe books and see if any of you can find
it.

Many thanks.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

can you Google the group? There's an entire thread on the recipe and
variations of it

Kathi

"DanielCoffey" > wrote in message
> I remember a few months ago, someone kindly posted a recipe here using
> dried apricots for making a jam with. Since my ISP only keeps posts
> for 24 hours, it has long vanished but I'd like to try it. Could you
> please poke about in your recipe books and see if any of you can find
> it.
>
> Many thanks.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:16:20 -0500, "Kathi Jones" >
wrote:

>can you Google the group? There's an entire thread on the recipe and
>variations of it
>
>Kathi

Thanks, Kathi - I found a couple of archives of the group and
eventually located one with a search and found Bob's recipe for
Apricot and Pineapple Jam which was the one I remembered folk talking
about - I forgot that it had pineapple in it, but that's OK. I'm sure
it'll be delicious!
Posted to rec.food.preserving

DanielCoffey wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:16:20 -0500, "Kathi Jones" >
> wrote:
>

>>can you Google the group? There's an entire thread on the recipe and
>>variations of it
>>
>>Kathi

> Thanks, Kathi - I found a couple of archives of the group and
> eventually located one with a search and found Bob's recipe for
> Apricot and Pineapple Jam which was the one I remembered folk talking
> about - I forgot that it had pineapple in it, but that's OK. I'm sure
> it'll be delicious!

While I hate to give Bob a swelled head his Apricot and Pineapple Jam
has become an extended family favorite. Even my greatgranddaughters like
it and it's very easy to make. Good on toast, bagels, muffins, and
especially home made biscuits.

George, thinking biscuits and jam for lunch

Posted to rec.food.preserving

> George, thinking biscuits and jam for lunch

Y'all giving me an itch I can't scratch at this time of year... maybe
I'll hie myself to Safeway and get some frozen fruit.....

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> While I hate to give Bob a swelled head his Apricot and Pineapple Jam
> has become an extended family favorite. Even my greatgranddaughters like
> it and it's very easy to make. Good on toast, bagels, muffins, and
> especially home made biscuits.
>
> George, thinking biscuits and jam for lunch

*BANG* (Bob's head explodes. What a mess.)
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Brian Mailman wrote:
>> George, thinking biscuits and jam for lunch

> Y'all giving me an itch I can't scratch at this time of year... maybe
> I'll hie myself to Safeway and get some frozen fruit.....
>
> B/

That's why Bob's recipe is so neat, dried apricots and canned crushed
pineapple. Easy to do, easy to find. I fear running out so bad I keep
the ingredients near all the time. <BSEG>

George, who had a chili dog with cheese and onions for lunch instead, it
was free.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>

> > While I hate to give Bob a swelled head his Apricot and Pineapple Jam
> > has become an extended family favorite. Even my greatgranddaughters like
> > it and it's very easy to make. Good on toast, bagels, muffins, and
> > especially home made biscuits.
> >
> > George, thinking biscuits and jam for lunch

> *BANG* (Bob's head explodes. What a mess.)

Whew! Thank Alex it wa'n't ME who was responsible! I was going to tell
you that I've been thinking about this jam (even before the OP in this
thread) and just got around to getting the pineapple a couple days ago.
Man, if I'd been the cause of that 'splosion, I wouldn'ta been able to
sleep for -- an hour, anyway.

Curiosity question about the recipe, Bob -- why do you boil it for 10
minutes at the beginning, before adding the sugar? Cook the aps
tender? Inquiring Mind and all. . .
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>George Shirley wrote:
>>

>>>While I hate to give Bob a swelled head his Apricot and Pineapple Jam
>>>has become an extended family favorite. Even my greatgranddaughters like
>>>it and it's very easy to make. Good on toast, bagels, muffins, and
>>>especially home made biscuits.
>>>
>>>George, thinking biscuits and jam for lunch

>>*BANG* (Bob's head explodes. What a mess.)

> Whew! Thank Alex it wa'n't ME who was responsible! I was going to tell
> you that I've been thinking about this jam (even before the OP in this
> thread) and just got around to getting the pineapple a couple days ago.
> Man, if I'd been the cause of that 'splosion, I wouldn'ta been able to
> sleep for -- an hour, anyway.
>
> Curiosity question about the recipe, Bob -- why do you boil it for 10
> minutes at the beginning, before adding the sugar? Cook the aps
> tender? Inquiring Mind and all. . .

I don't remember. Probably to cook the aps and boil away some of that
little_too_much_water.

Here's the original recipe again. Next time I make it, I'll change it;
reduce the water to a generous 3 cups and use 2 Tbsp of bottled lemon
juice instead of messing with acid crystals.

IIRC, you once made it with orange juice in place of the water (or half
the water?)

Bob's Pineapple Apricot Jam

1 1/2 pound pitted dried apricot
4 cups water
1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
1/2 tsp malic acid crystals (or citric acid)
3 pounds granulated sugar (about 6 1/2 cups)
1 box powdered pectin (I used Ball brand)

Soak apricots in the water overnight. Grind up the apricots with the
soaking water. Add pineapple, acid crystals, and pectin. Boil for 10
minutes. Add the sugar all at once and bring back to a hard boil for 1
minute. Remove from heat. Ladle into hot sterilized jars; seal as
usual. Makes about 11 half-pints.

Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
news
> DanielCoffey wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 13:16:20 -0500, "Kathi Jones" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>can you Google the group? There's an entire thread on the recipe and
> >>variations of it
> >>
> >>Kathi

> > Thanks, Kathi - I found a couple of archives of the group and
> > eventually located one with a search and found Bob's recipe for
> > Apricot and Pineapple Jam which was the one I remembered folk talking
> > about - I forgot that it had pineapple in it, but that's OK. I'm sure
> > it'll be delicious!

> While I hate to give Bob a swelled head his Apricot and Pineapple Jam
> has become an extended family favorite. Even my greatgranddaughters like
> it and it's very easy to make. Good on toast, bagels, muffins, and
> especially home made biscuits.
>
> George, thinking biscuits and jam for lunch

My family too! I made it for the first time this past year and everyone is
loving it! Oops! There goes Bob's head again! I made mine with frozen
from fresh pineapple (had left over that we weren't eating fast enuff, and
didn't want to waste it), but next time I'll use canned. There's a texture
thing there that I don't really like...

Seville oranges are in season here...bought 6 plus 2 lemons
today....marmalade is on the way, tomorrow or the day after........will have
to dig up a recipe that I liked.

Y'know, most of my preserving efforts end up in Xmas baskets - I rarely eat
any of it myself. And everyone who gets a basket is surprised to hear that
I start in February (with the marmalade). In another month or 2 the
preserving itch will rear it's head again, and I'll do something with
whatever I've got in the freezer - there's strawberries that will have to be
taken care of before the this year's harvest, and I've got crabapple
pulp/juice to do something with........

Hmmmm....wonder if I've got enuff jars............

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > zxcvbob > wrote:

> >>*BANG* (Bob's head explodes. What a mess.)

> > Whew! Thank Alex it wa'n't ME who was responsible! I was going to tell
> > you that I've been thinking about this jam (even before the OP in this
> > thread) and just got around to getting the pineapple a couple days ago.
> > Man, if I'd been the cause of that 'splosion, I wouldn'ta been able to
> > sleep for -- an hour, anyway.
> >
> > Curiosity question about the recipe, Bob -- why do you boil it for 10
> > minutes at the beginning, before adding the sugar? Cook the aps
> > tender? Inquiring Mind and all. . .

> I don't remember. Probably to cook the aps and boil away some of that
> little_too_much_water.
>
> Here's the original recipe again. Next time I make it, I'll change it;
> reduce the water to a generous 3 cups and use 2 Tbsp of bottled lemon
> juice instead of messing with acid crystals.
>
> IIRC, you once made it with orange juice in place of the water (or half
> the water?)
>

> Bob's Pineapple Apricot Jam
>
> 1 1/2 pound pitted dried apricot
> 4 cups water
> 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
> 1/2 tsp malic acid crystals (or citric acid)
> 3 pounds granulated sugar (about 6 1/2 cups)
> 1 box powdered pectin (I used Ball brand)
>
> Soak apricots in the water overnight. Grind up the apricots with the
> soaking water. Add pineapple, acid crystals, and pectin. Boil for 10
> minutes. Add the sugar all at once and bring back to a hard boil for 1
> minute. Remove from heat. Ladle into hot sterilized jars; seal as
> usual. Makes about 11 half-pints.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I made it with orange juice, eh? Couldn't prove it by me, Pal. Glad to
see your brain is drying up, too. I did just chop (food processor)
1-~1/3# of my precious TJ dried slab aps, covered them with 3 cups cold
water and nuked for 10 minutes. I'll let them sit overnight and jam
tomorrow with the pineapple, etc. And I'm sticking with citric acid --
I don't like to taste the lemon juice.

Another question: How'd you ever get involved with malic acid crystals
and why?
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>Whew! Thank Alex it wa'n't ME who was responsible! I was going to tell
>>>you that I've been thinking about this jam (even before the OP in this
>>>thread) and just got around to getting the pineapple a couple days ago.
>>>Man, if I'd been the cause of that 'splosion, I wouldn'ta been able to
>>>sleep for -- an hour, anyway.
>>>
>>>Curiosity question about the recipe, Bob -- why do you boil it for 10
>>>minutes at the beginning, before adding the sugar? Cook the aps
>>>tender? Inquiring Mind and all. . .

>>I don't remember. Probably to cook the aps and boil away some of that
>>little_too_much_water.
>>
>>Here's the original recipe again. Next time I make it, I'll change it;
>>reduce the water to a generous 3 cups and use 2 Tbsp of bottled lemon
>>juice instead of messing with acid crystals.
>>
>>IIRC, you once made it with orange juice in place of the water (or half
>>the water?)
>>

>>Bob's Pineapple Apricot Jam
>>
>>1 1/2 pound pitted dried apricot
>>4 cups water
>>1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
>>1/2 tsp malic acid crystals (or citric acid)
>>3 pounds granulated sugar (about 6 1/2 cups)
>>1 box powdered pectin (I used Ball brand)
>>
>>Soak apricots in the water overnight. Grind up the apricots with the
>>soaking water. Add pineapple, acid crystals, and pectin. Boil for 10
>>minutes. Add the sugar all at once and bring back to a hard boil for 1
>>minute. Remove from heat. Ladle into hot sterilized jars; seal as
>>usual. Makes about 11 half-pints.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Bob

> I made it with orange juice, eh? Couldn't prove it by me, Pal. Glad to
> see your brain is drying up, too.

> I did just chop (food processor)
> 1-~1/3# of my precious TJ dried slab aps, covered them with 3 cups cold
> water and nuked for 10 minutes. I'll let them sit overnight and jam
> tomorrow with the pineapple, etc. And I'm sticking with citric acid --
> I don't like to taste the lemon juice.

I use sulfured Turkish apricots from Fleet Farm. They come in a 24
ounce bag, cheap. I don't think I've ever seen dried California aps for
sale. They're supposed to taste better.

> Another question: How'd you ever get involved with malic acid crystals
> and why?

I bought a jar at a homebrew shop to play with a few years ago --
especially for adding to hard cider or mead. The malic acid was only
98¢ per jar and I think the "acid blend" (citric, malic, and tartaric)
was about $2.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

>I don't think I've ever seen dried California aps for sale. They're
>supposed to taste better.

I think they do. These are from Trader Joe's via Dimitri. I think I've
still got a pound unopened.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Brian Mailman wrote:
>>> George, thinking biscuits and jam for lunch

>> Y'all giving me an itch I can't scratch at this time of year... maybe
>> I'll hie myself to Safeway and get some frozen fruit.....
>>
>> B/
>>

> That's why Bob's recipe is so neat, dried apricots and canned crushed
> pineapple. Easy to do, easy to find. I fear running out so bad I keep
> the ingredients near all the time. <BSEG>

Huh, I've got the canned pineapple already... was planning on a
coconut-pineaple coffecake... have the dried apricots, I use them for
various things year round.... I've got jars.... paid the PG&E this month
so the gas is on...

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

zxcvbob wrote:

> IIRC, you once made it with orange juice in place of the water (or half
> the water?)

I'd use maybe water and 1/4 triple sec...

B/

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Wed 08 Feb 2006 05:02:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> I made it with orange juice, eh? Couldn't prove it by me, Pal. Glad to
> see your brain is drying up, too. I did just chop (food processor)
> 1-~1/3# of my precious TJ dried slab aps, covered them with 3 cups cold
> water and nuked for 10 minutes. I'll let them sit overnight and jam
> tomorrow with the pineapple, etc. And I'm sticking with citric acid --
> I don't like to taste the lemon juice.
>
> Another question: How'd you ever get involved with malic acid crystals
> and why?

Barb, how do you determine how much citric acid to add to a recipe?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article 9>,
Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed 08 Feb 2006 05:02:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
> Jammin'?
>
> > I made it with orange juice, eh? Couldn't prove it by me, Pal. Glad to
> > see your brain is drying up, too. I did just chop (food processor)
> > 1-~1/3# of my precious TJ dried slab aps, covered them with 3 cups cold
> > water and nuked for 10 minutes. I'll let them sit overnight and jam
> > tomorrow with the pineapple, etc. And I'm sticking with citric acid --
> > I don't like to taste the lemon juice.
> >
> > Another question: How'd you ever get involved with malic acid crystals
> > and why?
> >

> Barb, how do you determine how much citric acid to add to a recipe?
>
> TIA

I guess.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 2-4-2006, Masa
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>On Wed 08 Feb 2006 05:02:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
>>Jammin'?
>>

>>>I made it with orange juice, eh? Couldn't prove it by me, Pal. Glad to
>>>see your brain is drying up, too. I did just chop (food processor)
>>>1-~1/3# of my precious TJ dried slab aps, covered them with 3 cups cold
>>>water and nuked for 10 minutes. I'll let them sit overnight and jam
>>>tomorrow with the pineapple, etc. And I'm sticking with citric acid --
>>>I don't like to taste the lemon juice.
>>>
>>>Another question: How'd you ever get involved with malic acid crystals
>>>and why?
>>>

>>Barb, how do you determine how much citric acid to add to a recipe?
>>
>>TIA

> I guess.

So do I, usually about a teaspoon full does the job.

Geprge

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article 9>,
> > Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>On Wed 08 Feb 2006 05:02:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
> >>Jammin'?

> >>Barb, how do you determine how much citric acid to add to a recipe?

> > I guess.

> So do I, usually about a teaspoon full does the job.
> Geprge

Our correspondent, Commercial Canner, once mentioned he tries to keep his jams
below pH 3.8. I remember also something from a site in Africa who do lime
marmalades - they recommend between 3.0 and 3.3. Lime juice BTW has a very low
pH, even lower than lemon juice.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving

The Joneses wrote:

> George Shirley wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>I guess.

>>So do I, usually about a teaspoon full does the job.
>>Geprge

> Our correspondent, Commercial Canner, once mentioned he tries to keep his jams
> below pH 3.8. I remember also something from a site in Africa who do lime
> marmalades - they recommend between 3.0 and 3.3. Lime juice BTW has a very low
> pH, even lower than lemon juice.
> Edrena

I've read about lime marmalade production in Africa; I thought they had
to add a soda or potash to raise the pH a little because at the low 3's
it wouldn't gel properly.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri 10 Feb 2006 07:39:16a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
Jammin'?

> In article 9>,
> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed 08 Feb 2006 05:02:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
>> Jammin'?
>>
>> > I made it with orange juice, eh? Couldn't prove it by me, Pal. Glad
>> > to see your brain is drying up, too. I did just chop (food
>> > processor) 1-~1/3# of my precious TJ dried slab aps, covered them
>> > with 3 cups cold water and nuked for 10 minutes. I'll let them sit
>> > overnight and jam tomorrow with the pineapple, etc. And I'm sticking
>> > with citric acid -- I don't like to taste the lemon juice.
>> >
>> > Another question: How'd you ever get involved with malic acid
>> > crystals and why?
>> >

>> Barb, how do you determine how much citric acid to add to a recipe?
>>
>> TIA

> I guess.

An honest woman! Thanks, Barb. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri 10 Feb 2006 07:43:40a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it George
Shirley?

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article 9>,
>> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>On Wed 08 Feb 2006 05:02:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Melba's
>>>Jammin'?

>>>Barb, how do you determine how much citric acid to add to a recipe?
>>>
>>>TIA

>> I guess.

> So do I, usually about a teaspoon full does the job.
>
> Geprge

Thanks, George. I'll keep that in mind.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Fri 10 Feb 2006 09:54:04a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it The
Joneses?

> George Shirley wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> > I guess.

>> So do I, usually about a teaspoon full does the job.
>> Geprge

> Our correspondent, Commercial Canner, once mentioned he tries to keep
> his jams below pH 3.8. I remember also something from a site in Africa
> who do lime marmalades - they recommend between 3.0 and 3.3. Lime juice
> BTW has a very low pH, even lower than lemon juice.
> Edrena

So, ideally, it would be a good idea to test the level and adjust.

Thanks, Edrena.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬