Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Default sauce for dipping shrimp

Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> Ellen

You just mix it as you need it; it is just ketchup and prepared
horseradish. (Equal amounts of tomato ketchup, that weird banana
ketchup, and horseradish is a good way to use up the bottle of banana
ketchup that seemed like a good idea when you saw it at the store)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

zxcvbob wrote:

> ellen wickberg wrote:
> > Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> > shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> > worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> > Ellen

> You just mix it as you need it; it is just ketchup and prepared
> horseradish. (Equal amounts of tomato ketchup, that weird banana
> ketchup, and horseradish is a good way to use up the bottle of banana
> ketchup that seemed like a good idea when you saw it at the store)
>
> Bob

I like to use a fabulous plum jelly I made one year from not quite ripe
plums. The durn birds kept gettin' into them ripe ones. The jelly was kind
of sparkling and very tart, better even than cranberry sauce. Anyway mix
with one or two spoonfuls of horseradish, a squirt of ketchup, and a splash
of worcestershire sauce. A squeeze of lemon juice until it tests 4.6 or
under on the pH test strip. I also picked horsey sauce with the least amount
of ingredients - cream, methyl sylicate of ding dong, you know what I mean.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley

Down here where a lot of the shrimp you folks eat come from they use
cocktail sauce. Cocktail sauce is basically catsup, worchestershire
sauce, and prepared horseradish, mixed in proportions to your own taste.
We refer to it as "red sauce" and it keeps wellin a plastic container in
the refrigerator.

George, off to PT

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> Ellen

Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

zxcvbob wrote:
> ellen wickberg wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
>> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>> Ellen

> You just mix it as you need it; it is just ketchup and prepared
> horseradish. (Equal amounts of tomato ketchup, that weird banana
> ketchup, and horseradish is a good way to use up the bottle of banana
> ketchup that seemed like a good idea when you saw it at the store)
>
> Bob

Thanks, but the group (Canning Kitchen) wants to make something that
they can just keep on the shelf and open.
Ellen

Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

The Joneses wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>

>>ellen wickberg wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
>>>shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>>>worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>>>Ellen

>>You just mix it as you need it; it is just ketchup and prepared
>>horseradish. (Equal amounts of tomato ketchup, that weird banana
>>ketchup, and horseradish is a good way to use up the bottle of banana
>>ketchup that seemed like a good idea when you saw it at the store)
>>
>>Bob

> I like to use a fabulous plum jelly I made one year from not quite ripe
> plums. The durn birds kept gettin' into them ripe ones. The jelly was kind
> of sparkling and very tart, better even than cranberry sauce. Anyway mix
> with one or two spoonfuls of horseradish, a squirt of ketchup, and a splash
> of worcestershire sauce. A squeeze of lemon juice until it tests 4.6 or
> under on the pH test strip. I also picked horsey sauce with the least amount
> of ingredients - cream, methyl sylicate of ding dong, you know what I mean.
> Edrena

It sounds as though you didn't BWB the mixture. Am I correct?
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

George Shirley wrote:
> Down here where a lot of the shrimp you folks eat come from they use
> cocktail sauce. Cocktail sauce is basically catsup, worchestershire
> sauce, and prepared horseradish, mixed in proportions to your own taste.
> We refer to it as "red sauce" and it keeps wellin a plastic container in
> the refrigerator.
>
> George, off to PT
>
> ellen wickberg wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
>> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>> Ellen

Thanks, it is just that this group wants to BWB the mixture and so I
need a tested recipe for this.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

ellen wickberg wrote:

> The Joneses wrote:
> > zxcvbob wrote:

> >>You just mix it as you need it; it is just ketchup and prepared
> >>horseradish. (Equal amounts of tomato ketchup, that weird banana
> >>ketchup, and horseradish is a good way to use up the bottle of banana
> >>ketchup that seemed like a good idea when you saw it at the store)
> >>
> >>Bob

> > I like to use a fabulous plum jelly I made one year from not quite ripe
> > plums. The durn birds kept gettin' into them ripe ones. The jelly was kind
> > of sparkling and very tart, better even than cranberry sauce. Anyway mix
> > with one or two spoonfuls of horseradish, a squirt of ketchup, and a splash
> > of worcestershire sauce. A squeeze of lemon juice until it tests 4.6 or
> > under on the pH test strip. I also picked horsey sauce with the least amount
> > of ingredients - cream, methyl sylicate of ding dong, you know what I mean.
> > Edrena
> >

> It sounds as though you didn't BWB the mixture. Am I correct?
> Ellen

I didn't, but one could easily. We just didn't use enough of it to do so.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

ellen wickberg wrote:

> Thanks, it is just that this group wants to BWB the mixture and so I
> need a tested recipe for this.

I've never done it, but I imagine the ketchup/catsup has enough acid to
make it possible. George's with Worcestershire adds a bit of vinegar so
even more possible.

I use ketchup/catsup, horseradish, Worcestershire, pinch of sugar, and
lemon juice so even more acidic. Can you canning kitchen obtain some pH
strips and test a mixture?

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article <cYGwf.58168$tl.36003@pd7tw3no>,
ellen wickberg > wrote:

> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> Ellen

Ellen, could you have a looksee at some recipes for chili sauce?
Something along those lines would be good - maybe a little thinner?
Those are BWB-able. I don't have a recipe for an 'official' cocktail
sauce for dunking shrimps.
-Barb
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article <cYGwf.58168$tl.36003@pd7tw3no>,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
>>shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>>worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>>Ellen

> Ellen, could you have a looksee at some recipes for chili sauce?
> Something along those lines would be good - maybe a little thinner?
> Those are BWB-able. I don't have a recipe for an 'official' cocktail
> sauce for dunking shrimps.
> -Barb

Just added grated h'radish to a standard chili sauce or ketchup recipe
ought to do it. If you're paranoid, add a little extra vinegar or use
bottled horseradish (already has vinegar), but I think the vinegar in
the ketchup recipe is probably enough already. You're not gonna add
*that* much fresh h'radish.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > In article <cYGwf.58168$tl.36003@pd7tw3no>,
> > ellen wickberg > wrote:
> >

> >>Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> >>shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> >>worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> >>Ellen

> > Ellen, could you have a looksee at some recipes for chili sauce?
> > Something along those lines would be good - maybe a little thinner?
> > Those are BWB-able. I don't have a recipe for an 'official' cocktail
> > sauce for dunking shrimps.
> > -Barb

> Just added grated h'radish to a standard chili sauce or ketchup recipe
> ought to do it. If you're paranoid, add a little extra vinegar or use
> bottled horseradish (already has vinegar), but I think the vinegar in
> the ketchup recipe is probably enough already. You're not gonna add
> *that* much fresh h'radish.
>
> Bob

Just out of my own curiosity, (since I, personally, would never eat shrimp
dunking sauce)....the store bought prepared horseradish and the cocktail
sauce I have in my fridge was purchased from the fridge section in my
grocery store. It also has a 'keep refrigerated' warning and 'use by'
date. Ketchup/catsup does not. So I'm thinking that even if you could can
it, (using the ingredients as suggested in other posts in this thread)
wouldn't it still have to be kept in the fridge, and have a use by date as
dictated by the ingredients?

As I said, I'm just curious,

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>Ellen, could you have a looksee at some recipes for chili sauce?
>>>Something along those lines would be good - maybe a little thinner?
>>>Those are BWB-able. I don't have a recipe for an 'official' cocktail
>>>sauce for dunking shrimps.
>>>-Barb

>>Just added grated h'radish to a standard chili sauce or ketchup recipe
>>ought to do it. If you're paranoid, add a little extra vinegar or use
>>bottled horseradish (already has vinegar), but I think the vinegar in
>>the ketchup recipe is probably enough already. You're not gonna add
>>*that* much fresh h'radish.
>>
>>Bob

> Just out of my own curiosity, (since I, personally, would never eat shrimp
> dunking sauce)....the store bought prepared horseradish and the cocktail
> sauce I have in my fridge was purchased from the fridge section in my
> grocery store. It also has a 'keep refrigerated' warning and 'use by'
> date. Ketchup/catsup does not. So I'm thinking that even if you could can
> it, (using the ingredients as suggested in other posts in this thread)
> wouldn't it still have to be kept in the fridge, and have a use by date as
> dictated by the ingredients?
>
> As I said, I'm just curious,
>
> Kathi

Horseradish deteriorates (loses it's pungency) *very* rapidly after it's
opened, even if it is refrigerated. I assume that's what the warning
and the "use by" date is all about. But I could be wrong...

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>
>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>Ellen, could you have a looksee at some recipes for chili sauce?
>>>Something along those lines would be good - maybe a little thinner?
>>>Those are BWB-able. I don't have a recipe for an 'official' cocktail
>>>sauce for dunking shrimps.
>>>-Barb

>>Just added grated h'radish to a standard chili sauce or ketchup recipe
>>ought to do it. If you're paranoid, add a little extra vinegar or use
>>bottled horseradish (already has vinegar), but I think the vinegar in
>>the ketchup recipe is probably enough already. You're not gonna add
>>*that* much fresh h'radish.
>>
>>Bob

> Just out of my own curiosity, (since I, personally, would never eat shrimp
> dunking sauce)....the store bought prepared horseradish and the cocktail
> sauce I have in my fridge was purchased from the fridge section in my
> grocery store. It also has a 'keep refrigerated' warning and 'use by'
> date. Ketchup/catsup does not. So I'm thinking that even if you could can
> it, (using the ingredients as suggested in other posts in this thread)
> wouldn't it still have to be kept in the fridge, and have a use by date as
> dictated by the ingredients?
>
> As I said, I'm just curious,
>
> Kathi

The bottle that started this desire to make this product was not
refrigerated in the store but would need to be after opening . It
didn't have a "use by"date, so I guess was more like ketchup. It really
is the amount of horseradish to tomato ingredients and density that I am
concerned with. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <cYGwf.58168$tl.36003@pd7tw3no>,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>

>>Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
>>shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>>worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>>Ellen

> Ellen, could you have a looksee at some recipes for chili sauce?
> Something along those lines would be good - maybe a little thinner?
> Those are BWB-able. I don't have a recipe for an 'official' cocktail
> sauce for dunking shrimps.
> -Barb

Barb, I am just about to do that. As I said to someone else, the amount
of horseradish and its form are part of my concern. Thanks,
Ellen

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article <bh%wf.292604$ki.11964@pd7tw2no>,
ellen wickberg > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article <cYGwf.58168$tl.36003@pd7tw3no>,
> > ellen wickberg > wrote:
> >

> >>Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> >>shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> >>worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> >>Ellen

> > Ellen, could you have a looksee at some recipes for chili sauce?
> > Something along those lines would be good - maybe a little thinner?
> > Those are BWB-able. I don't have a recipe for an 'official' cocktail
> > sauce for dunking shrimps.
> > -Barb

> Barb, I am just about to do that. As I said to someone else, the amount
> of horseradish and its form are part of my concern. Thanks,
> Ellen

:-)
I'm thinking that by the time this is over, Ellen, you're going to be
our go-to gal for advise on the subject. I don't know how horseradish
will hold its bite when it's processed -- I make Horseradish Jelly (BWB
processed) using fresh horseradish and my sense of it is that it's a
pretty mild product. (I don't eat it.) And I know it has a reputation
for losing its pungency after preparation and fridge storage (I've never
paid a lot of attention, though because I rarely use it as a condiment.)
I think I'd probably do what you're probably going to do :-) wing it
as a variation on chili sauce with the addition of "some" horseradish
and "some" Worcestershire, noting how much you use as you taste to get
it right.

I hope you'll let us know what you wind up with, ma'am.
Best,
-Barb, wondering about using horseradish powder (I think my food co-op
stocks it) . . . .
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!
Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <bh%wf.292604$ki.11964@pd7tw2no>,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
>

>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>>Ellen, could you have a looksee at some recipes for chili sauce?
>>>Something along those lines would be good - maybe a little thinner?
>>>Those are BWB-able. I don't have a recipe for an 'official' cocktail
>>>sauce for dunking shrimps.
>>>-Barb

>>Barb, I am just about to do that. As I said to someone else, the amount
>>of horseradish and its form are part of my concern. Thanks,
>>Ellen

> :-)
> I'm thinking that by the time this is over, Ellen, you're going to be
> our go-to gal for advise on the subject. I don't know how horseradish
> will hold its bite when it's processed -- I make Horseradish Jelly (BWB
> processed) using fresh horseradish and my sense of it is that it's a
> pretty mild product. (I don't eat it.) And I know it has a reputation
> for losing its pungency after preparation and fridge storage (I've never
> paid a lot of attention, though because I rarely use it as a condiment.)
> I think I'd probably do what you're probably going to do :-) wing it
> as a variation on chili sauce with the addition of "some" horseradish
> and "some" Worcestershire, noting how much you use as you taste to get
> it right.
>
> I hope you'll let us know what you wind up with, ma'am.
> Best,
> -Barb, wondering about using horseradish powder (I think my food co-op
> stocks it) . . . .

Asian markets sell it as wasabi powder. If it's cheap, it's horseradish
powder with a little spinach added to make it light green. If it's
expensive, it's real wasabi. The only problem is, the green might mess
up your ketchup. (might be interesting in a green tomato ketchup?) HTH

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon

I know I have a cookbook with a recipe for a horseradish relish that's BWB.
It may also have a recipe for shrimp sauce. I'll have a look later today
and post.

Anny

"ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> Ellen

Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Anny Middon wrote:
> I know I have a cookbook with a recipe for a horseradish relish that's BWB.
> It may also have a recipe for shrimp sauce. I'll have a look later today
> and post.
>
> Anny
>
> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>
>>Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
>>shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>>worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>>Ellen

Thanks, I wait with bated ( or is that baited) breath. and thanks to
everyone
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Melba's Jammin'

In article <yjaxf.77500$tl.17588@pd7tw3no>,
ellen wickberg > wrote:
(snip)
> Thanks, I wait with bated ( or is that baited) breath.

You were right with bated.

-Barb Webster "-)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article <yjaxf.77500$tl.17588@pd7tw3no>,
> ellen wickberg > wrote:
> (snip)
>
>>Thanks, I wait with bated ( or is that baited) breath.

> You were right with bated.
>
> -Barb Webster "-)

It depends... How fresh is the shrimp? ;-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.preserving
pennyaline

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Thanks, I wait with bated ( or is that baited) breath. and thanks to
> everyone

It's "'bated," actually

<and "cocktail sauce">
Posted to rec.food.preserving
The Joneses

pennyaline wrote:

> ellen wickberg wrote:
> > Thanks, I wait with bated ( or is that baited) breath. and thanks to
> > everyone

> It's "'bated," actually
>
> <and "cocktail sauce">

I thought cocktails came with an olive or *pickled* onion.
Edrena

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 11 Jan 2006 09:25:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ellen
wickberg?

> Anny Middon wrote:
>> I know I have a cookbook with a recipe for a horseradish relish that's
>> BWB. It may also have a recipe for shrimp sauce. I'll have a look
>> later today and post.
>>
>> Anny
>>
>> "ellen wickberg" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
>>>shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>>>worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>>>Ellen

> Thanks, I wait with bated ( or is that baited) breath. and thanks to
> everyone
> Ellen

That would depend on what you've been eating. <g>

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Puester

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> Ellen

1. Do you eat enough of this to want to bottle large quantities?

2. Once you have processed it and it stands for a while, it will lose
much of its heat.

3. It tastes so good freshly made!

Mix together to taste:
tomato catsup
grated or finely chopped onion
horseradish and/or Tabasco/Franks' hot sauce
lemon juice
Optional: salt, celery salt, garlic

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

Puester wrote:
> ellen wickberg wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
>> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>> Ellen

> 1. Do you eat enough of this to want to bottle large quantities?
>
> 2. Once you have processed it and it stands for a while, it will lose
> much of its heat.
>
> 3. It tastes so good freshly made!
>

> Mix together to taste:
> tomato catsup
> grated or finely chopped onion
> horseradish and/or Tabasco/Franks' hot sauce
> lemon juice
> Optional: salt, celery salt, garlic
>
> gloria p

Hi Gloria,
This is not for my personal consumption. I am the "facilitator" of a
community kitchen which meets weekly and cans, The Canning Kitchen. We
have between 2 and 8 people coming each week. One of the members wants
to try making a cocktail sauce similar to the ones we have been
discussing and she wants it shelf stable. So 12 250 ml jars is really
only about 2 per person. What we make is not necessarily what I
personally would make or use, but what suits the groups needs and
desires. My concerns about this are food safety ones. Density and
acidity are the main ones. I don't find litmus paper to be that
accurate in this sort of situation and don't have access to a pH meter
that I would trust. For these reasons I tend to rely on tested recipes.
Thanks again to everyone for responses.
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

ellen wickberg wrote:
> Puester wrote:
>
>> ellen wickberg wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for
>>> dipping shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
>>> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
>>> Ellen

>> 1. Do you eat enough of this to want to bottle large quantities?
>>
>> 2. Once you have processed it and it stands for a while, it will lose
>> much of its heat.
>>
>> 3. It tastes so good freshly made!
>>

>> Mix together to taste:
>> tomato catsup
>> grated or finely chopped onion
>> horseradish and/or Tabasco/Franks' hot sauce
>> lemon juice
>> Optional: salt, celery salt, garlic
>>
>> gloria p

> Hi Gloria,
> This is not for my personal consumption. I am the "facilitator" of a
> community kitchen which meets weekly and cans, The Canning Kitchen. We
> have between 2 and 8 people coming each week. One of the members wants
> to try making a cocktail sauce similar to the ones we have been
> discussing and she wants it shelf stable. So 12 250 ml jars is really
> only about 2 per person. What we make is not necessarily what I
> personally would make or use, but what suits the groups needs and
> desires. My concerns about this are food safety ones. Density and
> acidity are the main ones. I don't find litmus paper to be that
> accurate in this sort of situation and don't have access to a pH meter
> that I would trust. For these reasons I tend to rely on tested recipes.
> Thanks again to everyone for responses.
> Ellen

Check the pH of some prepared horseradish using some indicator paper
(more precise than litmus paper.) If it's less than about 4.6, you can
mix it with reckless abandon into a ketchup recipe right at the end of
cooking. You know the ketchup is BWB'able.

I don't know how good this will taste. Some things are just a bad idea.

Good luck, and best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
ellen wickberg

zxcvbob wrote:
> ellen wickberg wrote:
>
>> Puester wrote:

>>> 1. Do you eat enough of this to want to bottle large quantities?
>>>
>>> 2. Once you have processed it and it stands for a while, it will lose
>>> much of its heat.
>>>
>>> 3. It tastes so good freshly made!
>>>

>>> Mix together to taste:
>>> tomato catsup
>>> grated or finely chopped onion
>>> horseradish and/or Tabasco/Franks' hot sauce
>>> lemon juice
>>> Optional: salt, celery salt, garlic
>>>
>>> gloria p

>> Hi Gloria,
>> This is not for my personal consumption. I am the "facilitator" of a
>> community kitchen which meets weekly and cans, The Canning Kitchen.
>> We have between 2 and 8 people coming each week. One of the members
>> wants to try making a cocktail sauce similar to the ones we have been
>> discussing and she wants it shelf stable. So 12 250 ml jars is really
>> only about 2 per person. What we make is not necessarily what I
>> personally would make or use, but what suits the groups needs and
>> desires. My concerns about this are food safety ones. Density and
>> acidity are the main ones. I don't find litmus paper to be that
>> accurate in this sort of situation and don't have access to a pH meter
>> that I would trust. For these reasons I tend to rely on tested recipes.
>> Thanks again to everyone for responses.
>> Ellen

> Check the pH of some prepared horseradish using some indicator paper
> (more precise than litmus paper.) If it's less than about 4.6, you can
> mix it with reckless abandon into a ketchup recipe right at the end of
> cooking. You know the ketchup is BWB'able.
>
> I don't know how good this will taste. Some things are just a bad idea.
>
> Good luck, and best regards,
> Bob

Thanks,
Is this a chemical supply house or drugstore item?
Ellen
Posted to rec.food.preserving
zxcvbob

ellen wickberg wrote:
> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> ellen wickberg wrote:

>>> Hi Gloria,
>>> This is not for my personal consumption. I am the "facilitator" of a
>>> community kitchen which meets weekly and cans, The Canning Kitchen.
>>> We have between 2 and 8 people coming each week. One of the members
>>> wants to try making a cocktail sauce similar to the ones we have been
>>> discussing and she wants it shelf stable. So 12 250 ml jars is
>>> really only about 2 per person. What we make is not necessarily what
>>> I personally would make or use, but what suits the groups needs and
>>> desires. My concerns about this are food safety ones. Density and
>>> acidity are the main ones. I don't find litmus paper to be that
>>> accurate in this sort of situation and don't have access to a pH
>>> meter that I would trust. For these reasons I tend to rely on tested
>>> recipes.
>>> Thanks again to everyone for responses.
>>> Ellen

>> Check the pH of some prepared horseradish using some indicator paper
>> (more precise than litmus paper.) If it's less than about 4.6, you
>> can mix it with reckless abandon into a ketchup recipe right at the
>> end of cooking. You know the ketchup is BWB'able.
>>
>> I don't know how good this will taste. Some things are just a bad idea.
>>
>> Good luck, and best regards,
>> Bob

> Thanks,
> Is this a chemical supply house or drugstore item?
> Ellen

It's a wine and beer making supply item (quite cheap too!)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Kathi Jones

> Puester wrote:
> > ellen wickberg wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have a BWBable recipe for a tomato based sauce for dipping
> >> shrimp in? The commercial ones seem to have horseradish and
> >> worcestershire sauce as well as some spices.
> >> Ellen

> > 1. Do you eat enough of this to want to bottle large quantities?
> >
> > 2. Once you have processed it and it stands for a while, it will lose
> > much of its heat.
> >
> > 3. It tastes so good freshly made!
> >

> > Mix together to taste:
> > tomato catsup
> > grated or finely chopped onion
> > horseradish and/or Tabasco/Franks' hot sauce
> > lemon juice
> > Optional: salt, celery salt, garlic
> >
> > gloria p

> Hi Gloria,
> This is not for my personal consumption. I am the "facilitator" of a
> community kitchen which meets weekly and cans, The Canning Kitchen. We
> have between 2 and 8 people coming each week. One of the members wants
> to try making a cocktail sauce similar to the ones we have been
> discussing and she wants it shelf stable. So 12 250 ml jars is really
> only about 2 per person.

and you could do 125 ml jars too...

What we make is not necessarily what I
> personally would make or use, but what suits the groups needs and
> desires. My concerns about this are food safety ones. Density and
> acidity are the main ones. I don't find litmus paper to be that
> accurate in this sort of situation and don't have access to a pH meter
> that I would trust. For these reasons I tend to rely on tested recipes.
> Thanks again to everyone for responses.
> Ellen

y'know, if you find a good BWB tasty recipe, I'd be interested. Even if I
don't eat shrimp (and therefore the sauce) it would make a great addition
to my Xmas baskets, which usually have jams, jellies, pickles, relishes and
salsa......

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

ellen wickberg wrote:

> ... Density and acidity are the main ones.

I should think if it's easily pourable in any way, it's not dense enough
to make it non-BWB.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Brian Mailman

Kathi Jones wrote:

> y'know, if you find a good BWB tasty recipe, I'd be interested. Even if I
> don't eat shrimp (and therefore the sauce)

Naww, poached halibut works for a fish cocktail. Been there, done that.
Or look for the certified kosher 'krab' or "sea legs"--no shellfish
involved.

B/
Posted to rec.food.preserving
Anny Middon

> Thanks, I wait with bated ( or is that baited) breath. and thanks to
> everyone
> Ellen

Sorry to be late getting back to you. Been working too hard lately!

Here's recipe for Horseradish Relish from The Food Lover's Guide to Canning
by Chris Rich and Lucy Clark Crawford:

Horseradish Relish

5 lbs peeled, cored and diced tomatoes
1 cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
4 allspice berries
4 whole cloves
4 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
4 onions, peeled and diced
1/2 lb peeled, minced horseradish
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 3/4 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons mustard seed
2 tablespoons dill seed

Place the diced tomatoes in a plastic sieve and allow them to drain for 3
hours. Tie the cinnamon-stick pieces, allspice berries and cloves in a
muslin or cheesecloth bag. Combine the remaining ingredients in a large
saucepan. Then add the tomatoes and the spice bag.

Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer, stirring
frequently, for 45 minutes. Remove the spice bage and ladle the hot relish
into jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. BWB for 10
minutes.

Makes about 5 pints.

Not too sure about the dill seed myself, but it sounds pretty good to me.

The seafood sauce recipe in the book is a sweet/hot one, with mangoes,
papayas, oranges and jalapenos. Will post if anyone is interested.

Ellen, if someone makes the horseradish relish, plese post and let us know
how it came out. I might make next fall when horeseradish is available and
tomatoes are good.

Anny